Bass-Pro Sucks

fasteddie

The gander mountain in cicero is the worst... nobody there is very helpful at all.

The biggest complaint I have about Gander is their lack of employees. You can go to the one in Henrietta and you might find 5 or 6 employees tops, and none of them have any time to help you. They have big firearms sales and 2 people working the gun counter. When I bought my shotgun, I waited for an hour just to have the chance to tell someone I wanted to buy the darn thing. Their archery department is a joke, I would never take a bow there after the last time they jerked me around. I do price compare between them and Dicks, its a toss up as to who has better prices, as each of them does better with certain things.

I bought 223 shells last year at Gander Mt. when I was driving home I got thinking they seemed awful expensive. I called Basspro and they had the same shells for 23.99 the GM price was 39.99. I ended up calling the GM manager who priced matched Basspro. The ammo prices at GM are way out of line. They had 17hmr shells on sale went there none were in stock and no rainchecks. This is the Cicero GM and Auburn Basspro.

We go to the Cabela's in East Hartford, CT, about once a month.  Lots of people badmouth Cabela's, but we have never had a bad experience there.  They once sold my dad an incorrect scope for his 10/22, they took it back and replaced it with no questions asked.  This past weekend, a salesman was helping me decided between two choke tubes for turkey hunting, after telling him what gun and shot I was using, actually recommended the choke that was $20 cheaper.

But what takes the cake...my dad was trying to use a $20 off coupon he had printed from his e-mail, but when the girl at the register scanned it, it came as all ready having been used. (it wasn't.)  With no questions asked, cashier went hunting around for an equivalent coupon to give my dad his $20 off.  With that kind of service, we are customers for life.

I took a copy of the price list for NEF HandiRifles from WalMart to Gander Mt and talked to the manager in the gun dept . He matched the price of a NEF 25-06 HandiRifle . When I picked it up , the manager told me that they were selling it at $5 less than it cost Gander Mt and lost money on the deal .

Gander Mnt here in Binghamton is hit or miss. Some days I go in there and they are greeting you at the door other days you can't find anyone to help you at all. I guess it just depends on who is working. They should try and mix the slugs in with some of the better employees and not put them all on the same shift.  :D  I find Ganders prices a tad high also and dont go there unless I absolutely have to. I have never had any problems with The original Dicks sporting goods on Court street. They are a small store and limited stock but they have great customer service and knowlegable staff. The Dicks sporting goods in the Town Square Mall is another story. That store is filled with arrogante douche bags who couldn't find there ass with both hands.

• 9 months later...

They are quite possibly the worst company in the world. lol. I got a gift card for them from my brother. So that is the only reason i ordered from them. I ordered a range finder on December 26th. It took them 5 days to ship it out. And now Fedex said they sent it from Missouri, and now it stoped over in Sacramento. Sacramento? Wtf, they sent it to the other coast. Makes no sense. Not sure if thats Fedex being stupid or BassFailShop messing something up.

Play it like a game with all of them. You have to find the victories, ha. I've had issues with all of them at one point.

One thing that has shown consistent...BPS regular prices suck, Gander Mtn. has went downhill since going private - their gun dept. SUCKS majorly, Dick's is a roulette wheel for stock and service doesn't know much...but you can get steals on certain items at the right time of the year. Cabela's corporate deal with coupons sucks, but the Hamburg store was phenomenal when I went there. Service was top-notch. Some items were out of stock or not stocked, but what can you do...

Keep in mind that today, most if not all of these stores practice JIT, regionalization, or something similar. Stocking and logistics is a hard science in the world now. It's unreal to see what goes on behind the public's eye with products, stocking decisions, and buying. Metrics rule what is stocked...and metrics met means profit...and that's what they aim to do.

Edited by phade

Never been to a BP store. Always shop the sale items on line and feel I got good deals. What spoiled me was when we went to Cabelas in Hamburg, PA. Took 5 1/2 hours to get there, and 5 1/2 hours to get out of the store. The way the store looked inside took my breath away. Think I took 100 pics. Well worth the trip.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

I dont think GM's gun Dept., in Cicero NY, is that bad . They have 2 or 3 guys that actually seem to know their stuff. Problem is they never seem to work at the same time, so if the gun counter is crowded and one of these guys is with someone, you'll get stuck with a stock by who dosn't know Jack.

GM ammo prices are crazy though. WAY more than most places and once their out of a certain brand or cal. it takes forever for them to get it in.

Edited by ants

I hate Gander Mountain in cicero. I like to mess with the guys in the fishing department there. I'll walk in and ask for walleye divers by cotton cordell and they always tell me they don't carry them. I then walk over to where they are grab a few and go back to the guys and say Look I found? Guess you do carry them. Every time I'm in there I ask for them and they tell me they do not carry them.

LOL i've done that.. Most of these guys don;t fish, so they have no idea whats going on on Oneida Lake or Lake Ontario, i've listened to store people tell rookie fisherman to buy all these bass soft plastics and shit for walleye it always gets me laughing.