I have never seen the farmers so...

late..They just came up late yesterday,Mr B was home, to work the upper field...They haven't planted anything yet..He came back down at dark ...The beef farmer has been cutting his hay field 4 passes a day for the last 3 days...not sure if he finally got it done last night...I think the rain followed by the heat is messing with them big time...The beef farmer is using pretty old equipment and his field is a half a mile long...The big dairy guy just had to wait the wet out. I was finally  able to get our tractor on the front field yesterday...still bogged down. It was disced up to get the soils to dry out...hope to drag it today fertilize and get the hay mix in ...way late but I'm not haying it so cutting is only crucial as far as reseeding goes and deer bedding, small amount of seed...I also have some alfalfa I want to put on the high dry side of that area...all morning/mid day sun. no afternoon ...so not sure how well it will do.....Well off to till and plant that garden, That is the most important thing...freezers are emptying fast.....

• Like 1

Just had the tractor with the chisel plow or subsoiler? come down the hill. I'm trying to figure out where they'd be putting in a new planting as well...There is a small field right next to the lease guys camp...but it runs off right into his pond ...So after the first year the farmer never planted it again...I'll have to drive by, maybe he's doing the other neighbors upper field...Farmers are planting every spot they can find!

Now I wish it had rained just a bit more than it did...He's up planting and the wind is due east toward our place...Ya he's kicking up a bit of dust...lol....I got my garden corn planted...10 20ft rows...maybe 25..We have a sandy loam and because of that we have ants EVERYWHERE ..I spayed the actual seed the covered the rows and sprayed over that...all the fruit trees again and around the outside of our house...they did the field and we immediately got grease ants then carpenter ants ...same thing happens when they chop the corn but then it's mice...
..SOB  just dumped a 16 oz full cup of coffee on my rug................

Anyways

Not much planted around me, according to a little bird  they were waiting for a certin date to submit claims on their crop insurance . Plant some fields that may have high yields, turn the others into insurance .

should make an interesting season .

• Like 1

They just planted something I'll assume corn...he has a huge concrete bunker he built two years ago he fills with chopped corn...a mountain of chopped corn. They use a big bulldozer to mound it...it makes their semi trailers look like match boxes...

Edited by growalot

I've seen those but how long can they store it that way ?

the farm I'm familiar with dries it and stores it in bins where they can aerate, control the moisture content and other farmer stuff I don't have a clue about , so,they can sell it ,perhaps a year later at the opiimum price .

the farm I'm familiar with dries it and stores it in bins where they can aerate, control the moisture content and other farmer stuff I don't have a clue about , so,they can sell it ,perhaps a year later at the opiimum price .

It's good for a few years as long as it's packed tight and chopped dry. That being said most try to use it within 2 years.

Chopped hay "haylidge" is only good for a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

There are still some fields that are too wet get on to. Weirdest spring/summer I've seen in a long time.

When you can get a 40,000 pound eight wheel drive tractor stuck in a field in the middle of June it's a head-scratcher.  I'll blame the Democrats...and Obama...why not?

This an internet pic, but I helped work on one just like it a week ago:

05c6599b995939101486fd57764f7f56.jpg

There are still some fields that are too wet get on to. Weirdest spring/summer I've seen in a long time.
When you can get a 40,000 pound eight wheel drive tractor stuck in a field in the middle of June it's a head-scratcher.  I'll blame the Democrats...and Obama...why not?
This an internet pic, but I helped work on one just like it a week ago:

05c6599b995939101486fd57764f7f56.jpg

The 4 local big farms have a cable known as "THE T"it allows us to hook up to four tractors to hook onto the one that's stuck. It's about 3" diameter cable and is moved on a pallet. Not used very often but when you get he text "we need the T" you know something big is bad stuck.

• Like 2

When it starts to dig a hole, back off the throttle. I learned that 50+ years ago.

It's a whole lotta work dragging one of those things out of the mud. If it happens to be the biggest tractor in the barn, you're definitely in serious trouble and looking for friends. ;-)

3" cable. That's some pretty stout hardware. But that's exactly what it takes when you hook 2000 combined HP to a stuck tractor. The only thing worse is a stuck dozer. Those things will dig their own graves in a matter of seconds if the operator isn't paying attention..

When it starts to dig a hole, back off the throttle. I learned that 50+ years ago.
It's a whole lotta work dragging one of those things out of the mud. If it happens to be the biggest tractor in the barn, you're definitely in serious trouble and looking for friends. ;-)
3" cable. That's some pretty stout hardware. But that's exactly what it takes when you hook 2000 combined HP to a stuck tractor. The only thing worse is a stuck dozer. Those things will dig their own graves in a matter of seconds if the operator isn't paying attention..

You ain't kidding, stuck dozers don't get pulled out they get dug out.

I bet! Getting stuff stuck is never fun. Today while chopping hay we had a dump truck delivering gravel for a wet hole between 2 fields. He had to drive out across a hay field to dump where we needed it. He clearly didn't have much experience driving off the road. After needing us to pull him with the chopper twice because he wouldn't avoid the low spots we just left him hooked to the chopper and towed him where he needed to go.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see how the corn does this year.  I can't remember planting in wetter soil conditions.  I planted the Saturday before last, the day after most of the standing water finally left the fields after I opened up a few ditches.   This past Sunday, it looked like it was sprouting pretty good, mostly up about an inch.  The conditions were great for plowing, a few weeks prior, but the 3-4 inches of rain after made secondary tillage a bitch.  I got away easily with my smaller 2wd tractor on the plow, but needed my larger 4wd on undersized  disk to get that done.  On the last pass with that I lost traction in a mud-hole and needed to straighten the disk and use the front loader to pull myself out.  This was the first year I needed 4wd to pull the planter.

The corn looks ok but could use some rain now.  I fertilized a little heavier with the planter this year.  Hopefully it really takes off after I spray it with gly and cultivate in a couple weeks.  

Larry, he has so many cows and now calves, that is gone by the time they start harvesting...he also had a huge wall of giant square bales he stored next to it last year. That was a first ,plus all of the original small bunkers they started out with. He has built 3 large barns over the last 5 years.  Spreads manure in 3 different counties and several different towns.

OH I see, the farm I'm familiar with got rid of their cows many years ago, it just wasn't worth the effort . Today they simply sell the commodities , often sitting on it till the price is most favorable .

OH I see, the farm I'm familiar with got rid of their cows many years ago, it just wasn't worth the effort . Today they simply sell the commodities , often sitting on it till the price is most favorable .

My families farm no longer has beef. Between fixing fence after storms, feeding them, meds, and dealing with them when they get out at in inconvenient times it was done. Now just do hay. Definitely more profitable selling it than feeding it out. Get a lot coming out from Boston area of Mass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk