Barn rehab

outdoorstom

1 hr · 

The issue with the old foundation was caused by poor drainage which I hopefully have taken care of with this drain tile. Three 1/2" cables installed in the loft should hold things together for a long time. Gotta admit to being a little nervous installing these. We used chains and a come along to pull everything tight and those chains had a serious load on them. Next steps are renting a manlift and getting the painting done, then the landscaping. Before that happens....a week of R&R in Florida golfing with family and friends!

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

• Like 4

great to see old barns rehabbed, far too many old barns going to the ground for a number of reasons.  Its always interesting to look at the building infrastructure to see how they put those old barns together, love the mortise and tendon joints.

only thing nicer than a big old barn is a big ole barn full of nice fresh hay.

• Like 2

My great, great grandfather built a 36 ft wide X 46 ft long post and beam barn in 1883 (the year is cut into the siding on the front just below the peak), and another one a few years prior to that.  The roofs are failing on them now, and the foundations are in rough shape, from years of poor drainage on low-lying ground.   I am in the process of tearing down the older one now, which is in worse shape.  If I can salvage enough materials from it to shore up the newer "1883" one, I may put a roof on it, and try to get a few more years out of it.    

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a very productive day today. It took 13 hours,but the red paint is on the barn. Tomorrow painting the trim and putting up netting to stop the *@$#% barn swallows from nesting and crapping on the new paint:-)

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

Edited by outdoorstom
  • Like 4

Interesting anecdote:

I've spent some time building barns and turnout sheds around Lexington, Kentucky. My high school buddy lives there. I was expecting to see all the white fences and pretty white or red barns and whatnot. My buddy said, "That's for the cameras at the derby in Louisville. We breed and raise them here, and the fences and barns are painted flat black to cook and kill the termites." It took some getting used to. Miles of double rows of black fences and big black barns. And the fences are double row so that when some moron takes one row out with his car the horses are still contained and can't wander off. Lexington is an interesting place.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

I think u missed a small spot way up high there.... Just kidding. Looks awesome, I'd be proud to store my stuff inside there. Heck, I'd even come to the square dance if you had one !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think this is the area you think I missed :-)

IMG_2262.JPG

• Like 1

wow I'm bummed i just saw this thread. What a cool project. Until the last picture I thought you were living in a shack next to a giant barn. But it appears you just have a bunch of other out buildings too?

I'm curious, what do you plan to use such a large barn for? I had a modern pole barn and i understand that if you have the space you will fill it. Just curious if this was a restoration of love to save her from coming down or if there's an intended use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

wow I'm bummed i just saw this thread. What a cool project. Until the last picture I thought you were living in a shack next to a giant barn. But it appears you just have a bunch of other out buildings too?

I'm curious, what do you plan to use such a large barn for? I had a modern pole barn and i understand that if you have the space you will fill it. Just curious if this was a restoration of love to save her from coming down or if there's an intended use.

Yep, there are 3 outbuildings. I keep my tractor and some implements in there When we go to Florida for the winter,  my wife's car and my truck go in it.