New Electric Deer Hoist

Five Seasons

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Now you are just trying to make me paranoid.  I would love to see one of those critters climb into a hole in the middle of a 10' ceiling in my garage.  Lol

10' height is nice!  You shouldn't have to cut MOST of the hind legs off like I do to get it so it isn't dragging on the floor of the shed.  When I get a particularly big buck (or doe) the skinning process is slowed considerably when all the hide is bunched up at the base of the neck....... :(

5 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

10' height is nice!  You shouldn't have to cut MOST of the hind legs off like I do to get it so it isn't dragging on the floor of the shed.  When I get a particularly big buck (or doe) the skinning process is slowed considerably when all the hide is bunched up at the base of the neck....... :(

Yep.  The pulley was about a foot lower last year and my bucks' noses were dragging.  This would have helped.  I just cut em off high on the neck after caping when they are getting mounted anyways.  

On 8/4/2017 at 11:53 PM, wolc123 said:

I am surprised to see and hear about all the electric winches.  Those don't seem like they would be worth it to me, especially the 12 volt models.  Batteries are a pain to mess around with.   I just use cheap little multiple pulley block and tackles that were about $15 ea from Northern or Harbor Freight.   It takes less than 30 pounds of force to lift a 150 pound deer with those.  Skinning an average of 5-6 a year, for a long time, has been a piece of cake with those.  

The electric winch would probably be better for ripping the hide off, but I don't think I will attempt that again.   I tried it on one last year, using a tractor and a pulley, and it did not work out so well.  I will probably stick with the old-fashioned method, using the block and tackle and a sharp knife, from now on.       

I wouldn't do battery either, but electric is nice and not just for deer. Cleaning the mower deck and lifting anything else that's not a ton of weight. chain hoists and even the pre-packaged rope pulley systems are just fine. But for $75 and another $30 in hardware the electric was the way to go.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 6:38 AM, phade said:

I will definitely be doing this soon. Probably two. Seems like we have 1 50% of the time or 2 or more the other.

I don't live in Webster so no worries about ceilings in a garage. Foo foo homes out that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swing over to my buddy's pole barn one day we are cutting. you can see how we handle 3  with just one hoist. works fine for the amount of times there are multiples. 

So here is my Saturday project in all its glory. I wanted to install this hoist without leaving a hole (just a preference) and I don't have access to to my garage attic. I peered into the attic through my vent and got an idea where the trusses met my joists. No real way to identify this location from the ceiling just the joists with a stud finder. What resulted was me cutting a small window and missing the exact spot by about 1' but I was able to pin it down this way. I would later go on to cover this hole with a 5' section of a 2x6 and attach an eyebolt where i can hang a rope and pulley gambrel system for the possible 2 deer situation.

Anyhow, I over-engineered this puppy but I'm happy with the results. My 440lb hoist is mounted on a 2x10x8'. It spans 3 joists. In each joist I secured it with 2 5/8x5" lag bolts through the 2x10, through the 1" drywall and into the joist. The only complaint I have is that it's not completely centered. It was a man and wife job to get the heavy ass 2x10 with mounted hoist secured on one side while the wife held the other, than transition to her side and secure the other. But it works.

The other problem with my setup is that I had to mount the hoist through the backside of the 2x10 (see pic below). Meaning I drilled holes at the mounting location and then inserted mx8x1.25-50 bolts into the threaded mounting plate. There wasn't a good way to do this in reverse and it would have required nuts on the other side anyhow. What all this means is that if my hoist breaks I will have to remove the entire 2x10 or suck it up and make an attic access hatch to remove it from the other side. fingers crossed lol. 

007.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

thanks. a lot more work to do it this way. Your method is a lot easier and better for maintenance for sure. 

I was a bit concerned over putting a lag bolt into the trusses further weakening them as I know they are not intended to hold hanging weight, but from the photo of the tractor, looks like its not an issue. 

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I was a bit concerned over putting a lag bolt into the trusses further weakening them as I know they are not intended to hold hanging weight, but from the photo of the tractor, looks like its not an issue. 

i think with the joist and truss it should be ok, especially spread over 3, but you have a point about weakening it. I purposely bought the 440 though so i would never be tempted to do anything heavier than a deer or 1/2 a tractor. If I drop off the radar someday, just know something came down and crushed me lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Belo said:

I wouldn't do battery either, but electric is nice and not just for deer. Cleaning the mower deck and lifting anything else that's not a ton of weight. chain hoists and even the pre-packaged rope pulley systems are just fine. But for $75 and another $30 in hardware the electric was the way to go.

No problem with my battery operated hoist .Well , there wasn't a problem until I gave the battery to my youngest son for his JD Tractor Mower . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fasteddie said:

No problem with my battery operated hoist .Well , there wasn't a problem until I gave the battery to my youngest son for his JD Tractor Mower . 

That would be my biggest problem.  I buy an average of (2) 12 or 6 volt batteries a year now for various boats, tractors and vehicles, so the last thing I need is another.   Another thing that sucks about batteries is that you never know when they will die.   Sometimes they last 12 years, and sometimes just 2.  I can't recall ever burning out an A/C electric motor, or wearing out a rope on a hand-powered block and tackle.   I don't even like battery-powered portable power tools for that reason.   I will take a drill with a cord any day.     

13 hours ago, wolc123 said:

That would be my biggest problem.  I buy an average of (2) 12 or 6 volt batteries a year now for various boats, tractors and vehicles, so the last thing I need is another.   Another thing that sucks about batteries is that you never know when they will die.   Sometimes they last 12 years, and sometimes just 2.  I can't recall ever burning out an A/C electric motor, or wearing out a rope on a hand-powered block and tackle.   I don't even like battery-powered portable power tools for that reason.   I will take a drill with a cord any day.     

The Lord watches over my batteries so I have no problems with them .

• Like 4

7 hours ago, fasteddie said:

The Lord watches over my batteries so I have no problems with them .

23 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I wonder what lesson He was trying to teach you and JR with that one ?