Where are those plots?

well the the big n beasty looks good some plants are pushing 8 in the average is around six the hot spot is good the clover i just dont know the weeds and grass are hurting it i trimmed everything down to 5inches see if that helps the deer are in it and hitting it fairly hard. the backwoods plot stuff thats mostly oats has been in the ground a week and barely any growth i tought oats were the easiest things to grow ???hopefully the rain will get it going and i threw down fertilizer in all the plots. The DR brush mower worked well mowed about 2 acres with it.

Oats need sun and a good moisture...perhaps the moisture and sun is a problem...I only plant rye and some WW in woodland plots.

Site suitability

• More tolerant of saturated soils than barley
  • Require moist soils for optimum growth
  • Do not perform well in hot dry conditions
  • Preferred soil pH range is 5.0 to 6.5 – but can tolerate as low as 4.5
  • Tolerates a larger pH range than wheat or barley

Still stalled out here. Hoping rain we got gets her jumping. Deer are hitting it well though. b825e42eca9e03ee18f6a941b1b09693.jpgf055d898d29d467165ee899a874265a4.jpgb6d3c13affe8127b60ce016f35b14f12.jpg4cfff6e4a1e389859f8113e2d45b0f2d.jpg

Video of this one was great. Reared up on back legs and skipped 3x like that. I laughed in woods 329a26c64588e0e2d2ea82abe478aca9.jpgcd4cba4e7ad2b65e377f8c12da3c4429.jpg
Got new blind up and brushed in. Daughter should be comfy in bad weather. Nice and roomy unlike our other one. Pattern blended well with pines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Oats need sun and a good moisture...perhaps the moisture and sun is a problem...I only plant rye and some WW in woodland plots.

plenty of sun thats not an issue but it didnt rain until sunday and the ground was dry so hopefully it will take off with the rain this week

Took the camera with me...here is some of the fall progress...some look very thin...in part due to turkey but also I over seeded with clovers and turnips that are just now starting a little growth...these rains should seal the deal ,one way or the other.. I'm thinking I may have more plots than I thought... When I started counting the different nicks and crannies I've planted...plus not all are all that small....hhmmm...

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

• Like 4

I just found more seed...another bag of turnips and at least 5 #'s of rye...I have a spot under an OaK tree that is refusing to grow anything this year...I don't know why..The oak is dropping great acorns..... grew great last year and it gets 12 til 4 sun it's been limed 2x's this year and fertilized.even weeds aren't growing...so seeing I have a plot growing in the bed of the gator in rye...I throw that rye down tomorrow...lol

Checked on my murder plot again and set a cam up over it for the first time this summer. The clovers are getting grazed hard and the few soybeans that are left have pods somehow lol. Clovers are nice and thick for un broken ground on the new logging road through what used to be a mature Blue Spruce stand. Pic from thinner part of plot, soybean is maybe 6-8" tall max.. and has 4 pods on it lol 

My other plots the deer are completely wiping them out, brassicas and all. They have never done this before. I already cant wait for next summer to put a fence around everything! lol The WW i overseeded in every hammered plot is all beginning to sprout. Hopefully fills it in nicely and gets consumed..

• Like 1

Looking great...I have to say I am surprised and worried...They are hitting my turnips hard as well and we are loaded with other foods..apples and tons of acorns everywhere ...

But the other thing I noticed today while scanning the area on my walk...All these years and I have NEVER seen a pine cone production like I am seeing now,also the maple and hophorn seed production is crazy the branches are actually bending down with all the maple whirlies....   I'm thinking we could have snow before Oct.

Go back and look at the pins along my line and then the taller Norway on the neighbors behind them...that tan and light green...all pine cones

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Looking great...I have to say I am surprised and worried...They are hitting my turnips hard as well and we are loaded with other foods..apples and tons of acorns everywhere ...
But the other thing I noticed today while scanning the area on my walk...All these years and I have NEVER seen a pine cone production like I am seeing now,also the maple and hophorn seed production is crazy the branches are actually bending down with all the maple whirlies....   I'm thinking we could have snow before Oct.
Go back and look at the pins along my line and then the taller Norway on the neighbors behind them...that tan and light green...all pine cones
Same here, tons of food everywhere. Apple's acorns lots of new native growths. I think what ruin my rutabaga planting is the fact that I "opened up the gate" to my soybeans and they were growing great with the beans. So as they started flicking the beans heavily they browsed my rutabaga tops as well. Think I'm going to give it a shot of urea beginning of next week before the next available rain. My ground in my plots is still pretty hard and dry..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One of the cereal grains might do a better job of building up the soil and crowding out the ferns.  

If you do go with the clovers and brassicas, I would seed in the ballpark of 10lbs of mixed clover and 5-7lbs of brassicas.  The clover would do much better with a nurse crop like oats or wheat.  Good luck, whatever you do.  

88a32890a11e8308ded3b773a4819d35.jpg

Quick walk out back. It's coming along. Everything has germinated well. Wheat and oats have biggest growth towards the south end of the plot as you can see in the pic. I did more turnips towards the north end closer to my stand in the corner where I took the pic from. But there is oats and wheat mixed in with the turnips just not as heavy. Just need some decent weather and a couple rains and it should be a decent plot

• Like 5

Cory how big an area? can't figure  seeding rates when the area isn't known

Purple Top White Globe Turnip Seed - Purple Top Turnips are generally tolerant of freezing weather, and their roots can be stored for a fairly long period of time in cold storage conditions. Rutabagas or Swedish turnips ("Swedes ") tend to be somewhat larger, sweeter and less strongly flavored than turnips. Also, their flesh is a yellowish creamy color. Turnips have a crisp white flesh and a zesty mustard-like flavor.

Seed Rate: 5-10 lbs. per acre
Seed Depth: 1/8 - 1/4 inch
Planting Date: Fall, Winter, Spring
pH: 5.5-6.5
Fertilizer: 8-8-8 250 lbs. per acre

Duran white clover:

Planting:
• Rate: 3 lbs./acre drilled or broadcast into established pastures; 5 lbs./acre for a pure stand.
• Date: September - November in southern U.S. Frost seeded-February and March. Spring seeded in late March or April.
• Method: Graze or clip pasture close prior to seeding.
• Depth: 1/4“ maximum; many stand failures result from seed planted too deep.
• Fertilizer: Liming to a pH of 6.0 and providing adequate levels of potassium and phosphorus are necessary to ensure a productive clover stand. Soil testing is highly recommended; see your local county extension office for details.

• Like 1