Where are those plots?

don't get discouraged...1. clover grows slow and 2. with that much activity perhaps they are eating it and that's why it's short..you could try an exclusion fence...doesn't need to be big a ft across. Also remember Just having the visual of green will draw the deer in and...roaming buck new to the area during rut...It's also giving you a clear idea of what is in the area...

• Like 2

Took pics of the trail plot behind the house last week...pics  are from end of E/W section and then of N/S section (straighter run)...Sorry close up was a bit shaky...hey I had just climbed that hill!...lol

Grains and turnips... This draws them to the center of the property and allows them to feed on acorns way out back up through this to either acorns from house to right at the road or up to the farmers corn field.

20170830_121607_resized_1.jpg

20170830_121332_resized.jpg

20170830_121413_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Yea don't be discouraged.. I'd say for a first plot ever and the time and effort put in.. you've done well man. But as grow stated earlier.. perennial white clovers grow slow.. should look mint next April.. just get the leaves out of it so it can grow bacl

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Took pics of the trail plot behind the house last week...pics  are from end of E/W section and then of N/S section (straighter run)...Sorry close up was a bit shaky...hey I had just climbed that hill!...lol
Grains and turnips... This draws them to the center of the property and allows them to feed on acorns way out back up through this to either acorns from house to right at the road or up to the farmers corn field.
20170830_121607_resized_1.jpg
20170830_121332_resized.jpg
20170830_121413_resized.jpg

What grains and turnips do you plant? That plot looks like it gets no sun. I have a few spaces that I could do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

white clover is slow getting up and if hit hard by deer even slower, from what ive seen this year, Plus at least with me u battle the weeds more since its slower and is a yr round deal. The fall stuff I planted is growing fast and blocking out what ever weeds there would be. With that said i cant wait to see if it does take of in yr 2 if it looks really good by end of may im making clover plot bigger if not, ill just leave it the same size and just make the area bigger with fall plot. 

• Like 1

white clover is slow getting up and if hit hard by deer even slower, from what ive seen this year, Plus at least with me u battle the weeds more since its slower and is a yr round deal. The fall stuff I planted is growing fast and blocking out what ever weeds there would be. With that said i cant wait to see if it does take of in yr 2 if it looks really good by end of may im making clover plot bigger if not, ill just leave it the same size and just make the area bigger with fall plot. 
Clovers are best planted with a nurse crop like wheat, rye or oats. Or can also be planted with brassicas. Nurse crop helps weed competition while clover gets established. I like to do clovers in the end of August early September with a cereal grain like wheat, oat or rye. Or a few weeks early with brassicas. The fall planting I think is best. The following April you will habe the first piece of green and it will be lush by May

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What's the latest you all mow or trim your clover?

My fight with ferns hopefully will be over when I check my main plot in a week. I planted oats, brassicas, turnips and winter peas. Tilled it for the second time this year fertilized it and have my eye on the radar for rain. To anyone who might read this thread but not plant food plots, it instantly will improve your habitat and isn't rocket science. 

Thanks for all the great post over the last year to all the fellow board members. To see other people's success was inspiring last year and made me understand the correct steps to increase the value of my land.

24 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Cory, did you combat ferns by throwing down lime ? I know very little on plots as first year trying myself. And agreed , great thread !

Yes. 3000 pounds hand thrown! I would hope the ph is raised by next spring but it was already 6.3. Two bouts of roundup and I still think they will comeback. This picture is after the first roundup spray.

Screenshot_20170829-143103.png

Screenshot_20170830-230209.png

• Like 1

What grains and turnips do you plant? That plot looks like it gets no sun. I have a few spaces that I could do that

That is a combo of wheat and rye with Hercules turnips...Now it gets a bit more light than you might think... For one thing, once the sun clears the corn it is at a lower angle as it crosses that area...It also is on the upper side of the hill so it gets sun WAY sooner than any of my lower plots. What kills plots like these are the roots and a lack of moisture and nutrients...That is why a fall planting of such things is good here. I can manage the leaf cover easily....not far from the house..I have actually shot doe off that plot standing at the corner of the garage, but by fall the leafs have thinned due to bugs and natural dropping..plus blown off by storms...spring anything does semi OK. with the amount of rain and cold this plot took off from last weeks planting

7 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Nice job Cory. You deserve any deer and every deer this year !

Thanks, I grew up in Alaska and since the 20 years I have left, I have never felt like I have been at home. Buying land improving it and hopefully harvesting a deer on my own land makes me smile when I think about it. It's cool knowing people enjoy the same process.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Nice job Cory. You deserve any deer and every deer this year !

I agree! Hats off to you cory! I have spread a couple hundred pounds of small grains and soybeans by hand several times and i hate that! Couldnt imagine 3000lbs. I would have cut the bag up some and drug it behind the 4 wheeler lol. 

Over seeded my rutabaga and soybeans(lack there of) with Winter Wheat last night, will finish today with the other 2 plots. in hopes we get the rain they are calling for saturday and sunday. The deer have basically wiped out my big bean plot pods and leaves completely. Also are hammering my Rutabaga. Cant wait to put the fence up next year on time lapse mode with the browning cam. 

yup should be a great week for growing temps are bumping up  and rain, plan on going down monday using my new DR tow behind brush hug and spread some 10-10-10 fertilizer, and maybe just take an inch or two of the clover more so to knock the broad leaf back a touch... I know its a lil late to trim the clover but I dont think it will hurt and like I said will mostly be cutting back weed. Hopefully the grass is starting to die off from last weeks spray

On 9/1/2017 at 10:34 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Heres a natural Food plot.. From 1 of 3 clear cuts done back in April. Cant wait to see what happens next year. Nearly 600 pics in just over a week.. No big boys but the doe and fawns are loving it.. 

IMG_0119.JPG

where i clear cut back in early winter is going great i actually puled my cam out of the area a month or so ago because kept kicking deer up out of there beds.. plan on doing two more areas or at least one this winter I like to do it right at the end of season they love the tops and buds and it helps give them a lil bump in food as the weather gets bad and the bucks are recovering from rut

• Like 1

Well all the fall plots are looking good..though clover and turnups seem a tad slower on some. I mentioned the over seeding  thin areas and found 2 different flocks undoing the seeding again...lol how can I complain when  I planted this stuff for them? The earlier planted oats started setting seed. Which is fine because the deer are still munching the tops with milk stage oats and the turkey are picking them as well. These short oats  are giving a lot of cover for everyone...The deer are also pulling the turnips...I'd say way early but we had a bit of cold damage here last week....it got my basil and the rest of my cukes.

• Like 1

I'll have to take some pics in a couple days when I get back out there but I checked my plot quick yesterday and that rain we got did exactly what I needed. The winter wheat is taking off the fastest now, some of its already 5 inches tall. Turnips are starting to really fill in now. Should look great in a few days. More rain coming in later today and all day tomorrow, then some nice sunny days after will hopefully set this plot off.

• Like 2

I planted my oats/clover a little over a week ago..After the rain two days ago stuff started to pop up...With a nice warm day ( yesterday) and then last night's rain ( nearly an inch,)  I'm expecting the plot to look  as green as  The Jolly Green Giant's cojones by next weekend....Hehehehe...

• Like 3