Hang your backpack the easy way

Drill a hole in the rail , seat , etc of your chain-on or ladderstand . Put an eyebolt with 2 nuts and a lock washer in the hole . Tighten it down . Use a carabiner and hang your backpack via the eyebolt . The backpack will be in easy reach !

Good tip.  Sometimes I'm a bit leery of that when my pack is a bit too heavy, like on an all day sit.  I might have two thermos bottles, sangwiches, snick snacks, extra clothes, rain suit, camera etc.  She gets a bit heavy and could be too much weight to one side of the stand and put it out of balance.

Typically, I'll just let it down to the ground with a haul rope and if I need nutrition, I just haul her up and get what I need. 

If I don't have much, I'll just put the important things in the saddle bags that hang from each side and the front of the Treewalker climber.  They work good. (Summit made)

Last year was my first hunting primarily from a stand so I still have some fears to overcome. On average durring hunting season my pack weighs right around 15lbs. sometimes more.

I'd be afraid drilling any part of ANY part of ANY stand would damage structural integrity over the long term for sure and possibly immediate weakening of the stand overall.

When I reach the end of my tow rope, I know exactly how high I am and let the weight of my bow and pac keep evenly distributed weight on each side of the top half of the climber while I turn to reposition.

Once I get the top seat section planted firmly in the tree at this point, I pull up my gear and hang it from a tree step.

Any aftermarket modifications or unnecesary equiptment attached to the stand just seems like a recipe for disaster IMO. ???

Sorry Wooly but I just had to pick on an old NYDEER buddy .

Another method of hanging a backpack would be to carry an extra rachet or cinch strap . Run the strap through the straps on the backpack and tighten . No holes needed ......

I hang my backpack from an old broken limb that extends from the tree about 4" when I'm at my ladder stand located on my hunting buddy's property.

When I use the climber on my buddy's property I screw in a 'turkey foot' and hang my stuff from that. I leave it tied to a pull rope attached to the stand when I'm on my cousin's property.

I like the idea you suggested regarding the eye bolt.   

I try not to screw anything into the trees where I have stands . I doubt one or two screws would do any damage but I try to avoid it . I have several stands on different properties .

What do you do with your bow if there is no branches to hang from? Do you use the bow holder that goes on the stand?

What about those J hooks. They are usually rubber coated to last especially if you use the stand year after year. Takes only a minute to screw it into the tree.

Dave

I have used various hooks , screw-ins , etc .. Just trying to avoid screwing anything into a trre that might be objected to by the landowner . Some of them are a tad fussy .

• 1 year later...

Good tip. Sometimes I'm a bit leery of that when my pack is a bit too heavy, like on an all day sit. I might have two thermos bottles, sangwiches, snick snacks, extra clothes, rain suit, camera etc. She gets a bit heavy and could be too much weight to one side of the stand and put it out of balance.

Typically, I'll just let it down to the ground with a haul rope and if I need nutrition, I just haul her up and get what I need.

If I don't have much, I'll just put the important things in the saddle bags that hang from each side and the front of the Treewalker climber. They work good. (Summit made)

I put another strap around the tree and hang my pack of it with the carbiner. I hate having anything on my stand to make it unbalanced.

On the top loop of my pack is a loop of rope, a "S" biner which is a S shaped piece of metal with two spring clips that close up the open parts. I just hang it from the "s" hook.OR sometimes if I want it higher I wrap the pack straps around the tree and use the S hook bewteen the two straps.

I also hang my headlamp from the packs loop so I can find it easy in the dark.

Most of my hang ons have a tree step up above the stand as a hand hold when stepping down on to stand,I can hang the rope loop on that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a strap (w/buckle) or small ratchet strap with a carbiner. Snap my pack to that. I use to hang it from my climber seat but had it through the seat out of balance and the seat move when I got up

. Scared the crap out of me, so never again. I pack in lunch, thermos, water bottle, ect. the strap is by far the easiest without putting any holes in the tree.