What taxidermist do you use?

CantrellTaxidermy

Im using Rod in callicoon for a 7PTR I got last opening day,has not come in yet.He seems to be pretty busy,Plenty of deer being dropped off when I was there ,not just from NY but from PA as well.Clear differance between the deer from NY and P.A.,Deer from PA stand out with bigger bodies and larger racks.

I shot both animals in the beginning of the bow season of 2009.  He didnt have many mounts in front of me.  I believe I was number 26 for the season.  He told me it was a nine to ten month turnaround, but I believe i got it in seven months. 

Yes,  Down the street from John.  This past year I shot a big heavy bodied deer but he was only a five point at the end.  He was all broken up.  Weight 195 pounds live weight and had a heavy rack.  Just not many points.  I saw the biggest buck ever this past season during bow season at about 60 yards,  already had used my buck tag and it was too far to even take a shot.  It still had me shaking.  Couldnt believe it.   

I go for quality.  I use Fox Studios Taxidermy in Cold Spring, NY.  I travel from Long Island to use them.  He did a great job on my bear rug, and I feel the deer look lifelike.

I certainly hope you go for quality. 

Anybody that picks a taxi for price needs to rethink things. 

I don't care how long the guy has been in business. Look at the quality of his work and then make your decision. Unfortunatly some guys don't know what to look for in a quality mount. I know of a couple of taxidermists that have been around for 30 years and their heads look worse than a taxidermist that is just starting out on his own.

Price would be my second factor, because hopefully the mount and memories will be with me for a long time.

By the way, I also have Kurt Fox do my work, has been for 15 years.

My days of having  taxidermy mounts done are over, but I have had  a dozen or so mounts in the past and have seen many more that my hunting buddies have had done..

In my opinion, quality is number ONE... I think that it is a matter of respect for the animal...Personally, if a mount that is intended to portray a live animal doesn't look accurate and ALIVE, it is not quality taxidermy..

If I had to pay twice as much for quality work, I would....

Nothing wrong with checking out a guy's work and comparing prices...

However, I have never personally seen top notch products from cut rate taxidermists.. The guys who do the best work usually get the highest prices...

Same old stuff..You get what you pay for..

Every guy that has 25 years plus exp started sometime. You'll need to get your name out there best is word of mouth, someone will get a mount done by you and tell a freind and so on. Just be a little cheaper in price than the next guy it ill get you buisness and you can raise the price next year as you become swamped in buissness to keep your turn around time reasonable you will probably be able and need to raise your price again. I know several taxidermist that raised their prices to rediculous amounts to try to ease into retirement, and some that were doing almost 400 heads a year and wanted to cut back, but some will still pay what you ask if the quality is there. I guess the main thing i am trying to say the Price will initailly draw them but the quality of your work will bring them back...

The first time ever using Rods Taxidermy was 2 seasons ago.  He has done the right thing by me and my friends.  So far he has gotten 6 mounts from us in the two seasons.  I was using my friend who is a taxidermist before this.  Not because of price but because of friendship, but my other mounts started cracking due to him tanning himself.  I also got another eight done by Ron Kulman in Hempstead long island about 12 years ago and his mount is still perfect.