Couldnt be more true today.

sethf11

I think we have evolved past the peak of antler worship, and more folks are again getting into hunting for meat.  I am glad to see that fad finally passing.  Last fall, one of the "big two" outdoor mags (Field & Stream or Outdoor life) ran an article on all the different extra meats you can get from deer and I think a few covers in the fall did not even show a huge-racked deer.   Now, if only we can get over this hoppy and/or fruity "craft" beer phase, then all might be right with the world again.     

• Like 4

Equally important, I just learned a better way to drag a buck out!

Carry a deer like that ? Someone would see that rack and shoot at it ...........

This is a popular way to carry out Coues Deer and Antelope actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Equally important, I just learned a better way to drag a buck out!

I have carried a few out like that and let me tell you for a small 100-150lb deer there is no better way. They get much over that and it is no small task! I got about 20ft with my buck on my back last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have carried a few out like that and let me tell you for a small 100-150lb deer there is no better way. They get much over that and it is no small task! I got about 20ft with my buck on my back last year.

I tried it when I was a lot younger with my first archery kill (a button buck of about 85 pounds field dressed).  It was no problem the first hundred or so yards (going down hill or on level ground), but as soon as I had to go uphill, it was a no-go and I switched to dragging the normal way, with a rope with a stick for a handle.  

Edited by wolc123

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I believe the point of this post is going over most of your heads.

They have been scoring bucks for a long time, it's nothing new.  And some hunters have chosen to chase bigger antlers for a long time too.  Again nothing new.  The problem today is the media outlets open to everyone real time.  It can change perceptions and that is true of lots of areas, not just hunting.  Hopefully each hunter is sufficiently well grounded to enjoy what they hunt and congratulate others for doing the same. 

Back to carrying deer, we have had some tick infested deer.  I don't think I want to sling em over my back.   But I really could see that being useful in harsher terrain. 

• Like 5

This isn't directed at the OP because times have undoubtedly changed but just like Moog stated since hunting became a hobby and not a way of life people have always hunted for different reasons. I think the biggest problem we currently have is too many feel that their way is the correct way. I'm sure social media/ hunting entertainment industry has had a lot to do with this because almost everything you see is from the "trophy" hunters.

It's not just hunting it seems like everything in life others want to tell you how you should be doing it and how their way is better.

I couldn't care less how many points, what a buck scores, how many trail cam pics etc etc about a buck some one else kills if they shot it I can only hope they were happy with it before pulling the trigger. Just for the love of god don't justify it with the "I thought he was bigger" or the "I probably should have waited" there is no reason for anyone to justify with anyone why they chose to shoot an animal.

• Like 5

I think we have evolved past the peak of antler worship, and more folks are again getting into hunting for meat.  I am glad to see that fad finally passing.  Last fall, one of the "big two" outdoor mags (Field & Stream or Outdoor life) ran an article on all the different extra meats you can get from deer and I think a few covers in the fall did not even show a huge-racked deer.   Now, if only we can get over this hoppy and/or fruity "craft" beer phase, then all might be right with the world again.     

I was drinking Sloop Juice Bomb IPAs last night. From my cold dead hands, my friend. From my cold dead hands.

• Like 3

Just a small fact. Population. "back in the day" the population was so small that there were party permits for doe, I'm sure a bunch of you know what thats about. Most hunters were lucky to even see a deer let alone get one. So, meat and trophy hunters alike were basically going to shoot the first deer they saw. Fast forward to present time where you can get a half dozen tags and have a great opportunity to fill a few of those, some have chosen to be more selective in their harvests. Just like the guy in the pic, he's carrying a deer out on his back. He doesn't have a sled, or a horse or a tractor etc. He's doing it HIS way. Harder than a sled, or tractor yet he's doing it. Some might look at him and think he's crazy for carrying the deer out when they have a sled or tractor or even an ATV ( pic is not 80's but ATVs were available then) as that's the method they prefer. He hunted, he scored, and apparently his friend was proud of him. I'm a trophy hunter who has alot of friends with a similar style of hunting. I also have a bunch of friends that meat hunt. I can't imagine asking the rediculous questions of the OP in the derogatory fashion that it portrays. Do I speak for all trophy hunters, no. Do I speak for all meat hunters, no. I speak for treeguy. I think there are alot of hunters who have a chip on there shoulder. For whatever the reasons may be.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Licensed hunters can shoot anything they have a tag for right now...why do they whine? Because they're a dying breed and most don't share their shoot anything or the first thing logic. Conservation and the appreciation of the journey behind this recreation (yes, it's not there to feed your family) is where the majority stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I remember back in the 60's and 70's when a group of us bowhunters used to gather in one of the cubicles at work on a Monday morning and swap deer hunting stories. The deer were a bit scarce in our area back then. The topic of conversation usually was about the huge deer track that we ran across, or the doe that almost came in range. Once in a while someone would mention that they actually got a shot .... wow! If somebody actually shot a doe, that was the topic of conversation for quite a few days, and his hunting prowess was discussed throughout the whole local hunting population.....lol.

Now today, that enthusiastic hunter gathering around the coffee pot on Monday morning has disappeared, but if occasionally you run into another group of bowhunters discussing the season, when someone is successful, the very first question is, "What did he score?" And if you want the conversation to continue, that number had better be significant. If all you can say is "Well actually it was a doe", that is a great way to end the conversation and watch everyone all of a sudden have some super urgent piece of work that has to be taken care of.

What a change. No wonder people are dropping out of the sport.

That would be a glass half empty way of looking at things dude. Its a huge step forward for deer hunting . Back when you started hunting  there probably weren't very many deer around so when one was killed it was a big thing. Now there are deer around every tree its ok to be selective if you want. I dont really care if I shoot a deer at all most of the time. I enjoy sitting in nature and being at peace until something comes along that peeks my interest. Shaming someone who chooses to kill big deer over little ones is no different than shaming someone over killing a little deer. Most of the people I know who have dropped out of hunting or do not attempt to hunt are usually to lazy to do it.Not because some ahole dissed their deer. 

• Like 2

It's half full at my work ! Tons of hunters , sometimes going to work seems like going to deer camp . Most are bow hunters and the story's and pics sure get sent around, you run into another co. On a call and it's how's your season going ?

Lots of does killed because , well we understand the need and love the meat. I've not once heard a guys  deer " dissed" either to his face or behind his back , but were all tight friends at work .

Headquaters does run a buck contest and non hunters pick a hunter to bet on ,somewhat like fantasy football .

Im off to hang a stand and weed whack my gun range otherwise I wouldn't be up this early ......

Well, I'm 63 and started bowhunting at age 16.  We hunted mature oak woods in the Bristol area.  It is true that back then if you got a "party permit" that you needed 4 or 5 hunters on the permit.  But it was a different time, when there was an entirely different philosophy about harvesting does.  It was not at all unusual to see groups of 20 does together during gun season.  Our equipment was much more primitive and we didn't have tree stands early on.  Bucks were very hard to come by, especially during gun season.  I think I saw my first buck during gun season at age 20.  My point is, at least in the area I hunted, the population was quite high for the habitat.  But the herd was way out of balance and the opportunity to take does was dictated by the party permit system.  The "typical" buck back then for that area was smaller than today's bucks.  Most were spikes.  Things are much better now.  Most hunters can fill their freezers if they put in the time and bucks with larger headgear are at least possible for those who care about that.  It's fun to see a large buck but what remains of our camp still is primarily interested in obtaining venison.  

jperch

• Like 1