I was wondering about......

First-light

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bert, you have nothing to defend as far as I am concerned. I look at it this way , How many of these ethical hunters who watch their watches for the legal hunting time drive over the speed limit? I would bet most drive over the speed limit, are they unethical for doing so maybe not but they are breaking the law. So if your so busy watching your watches on your deer stand why can't you watch your speedometer. Plus the fact that the police let you go over the speed limit 5 to 10 miles before they pull you over and give you a speeding ticket. So I believe that a conservation officer would give a hunter a break if he shoots a deer 5 to 10 minutes before legal hunting time. Lets use a little common sense and logic ,  like it was mentioned I never new a hunter who looked up what the time he could legally shoot a deer was. And yes it changes every day.

Dave

.....To me shooting time would be, being able to see clearly at a target either through my scope or be able to line up my pin with a bow. I have never since 1968 looked at my watch before I shot at a deer. You simply don't have the time to fiddle around looking for what time it is. But I have looked at my watch when I hear the first shots on opening day especially if I think it is rather early and I can't make things out in the woods. Those shots to me are dangerous I feel if you have a hard time seeing then you will have a hard time finding the deer. ........

Dave

I guess I am just a bit more picky about game laws, and really don't see them as simply suggestions or some kind of judgement calls. I also understand the ECO scarcity situation and understand that we all have to be a bit more responsible in policing ourselves. I get pretty out of sorts whenever I hear of somebody poaching or bending and breaking other hunting laws and have very little sympathy with all the excuses manufactured to rationalize breaking any of the laws that govern hunting. I have no problems with people putting extra additional restrictions on shooting times or conditions, but I find it no problem at all to note the sunrise and sunset times when I check the weather forcasts and wind direction predictions before I go out hunting, and then abide by them as a minimum effort to comply with that law. What exactly is so difficult about that? As far as not being able to take the time to glance at your wrist to check the time, I hope nobody is in that much of a hurry to take a shot.

It's not really an issue where you have to make any judgement calls ...... thankfully. The law is clear. Every year I hear some of those shots in the dark where people are supposedly using their  "judgement". I guess that's why some of those laws were written.

Look, I understand temptation and understand that always complying with game laws is not an easy thing to do. But as hunters we need to be picky about such things. It really is up to us to be self-policing because the law enforcement branch of the DEC is never again going to be adequate to handle that job.

.....I wonder how many of you "by the book hunters" look up the exact time before you go out each day? .....

Wind direction predictions are a fundamental requirement for my stand selection or still-hunt plan each time before I go out. In that same forecast, is the sunrise and sunset times. It really doesn't take any "looking up". It's not all that big a deal.

.....To me shooting time would be, being able to see clearly at a target either through my scope or be able to line up my pin with a bow. I have never since 1968 looked at my watch before I shot at a deer. You simply don't have the time to fiddle around looking for what time it is. But I have looked at my watch when I hear the first shots on opening day especially if I think it is rather early and I can't make things out in the woods. Those shots to me are dangerous I feel if you have a hard time seeing then you will have a hard time finding the deer. ........

Dave

I guess I am just a bit more picky about game laws, and really don't see them as simply suggestions or some kind of judgement calls. I also understand the ECO scarcity situation and understand that we all have to be a bit more responsible in policing ourselves. I get pretty out of sorts whenever I hear of somebody poaching or bending and breaking other hunting laws and have very little sympathy with all the excuses manufactured to rationalize breaking any of the laws that govern hunting. I have no problems with people putting extra additional restrictions on shooting times or conditions, but I find it no problem at all to note the sunrise and sunset times when I check the weather forcasts and wind direction predictions before I go out hunting, and then abide by them as a minimum effort to comply with that law. What exactly is so difficult about that? As far as not being able to take the time to glance at your wrist to check the time, I hope nobody is in that much of a hurry to take a shot.

It's not really an issue where you have to make any judgement calls ...... thankfully. The law is clear. Every year I hear some of those shots in the dark where people are supposedly using their  "judgement". I guess that's why some of those laws were written.

Look, I understand temptation and understand that always complying with game laws is not an easy thing to do. But as hunters we need to be picky about such things. It really is up to us to be self-policing because the law enforcement branch of the DEC is never again going to be adequate to handle that job.

Amen.

The fact that a buck only leaves you little time to shoot at him, should have nothing to do with shooting a buck before LEGAL shooting time... this is the lack of hunter restraint that I talk about... and that restraint should apply to big bucks or little bucks .. or even doe for that matter. What makes killing a deer so important that you need to break the law to do it???... the time is set for a reason... one persons idea of good shooting light is not anothers so the DEC has set one for you so there are no grey areas... this is another example where there has to be a law created to save some hunters from themselves! So, hard to believe how some adults just can't do the right thing...

Antler did you ever hunt in the woods and the fog rolls in, not a good situation but it's legal hunting time. I have many times and have just been able to make out the legs of a deer so according to you I should shoot because it's legal hunting time. It is a decision to shoot or not to shoot depends on lots of things and good shooting light is the main concern. See your target and beyond and you can only do that if you have enough light. I don't recall many times that it isn't legal shooting light that I have seen deer.

Dave

Did I say somewhere in my posts that I think guys should shoot deer in a fog because it's legal shooting time??? I must have forgot i posted that.... although that is not illegal.. it is dangerous... no deer is worth breaking the law or doing something dangerous or doing something unethical period... and what does a fog have to do with shooting before legal shooting time?.. where do you guys come up with your logic??

Antler..i actually agree..where did the fog roll in?..i have to add 45 min to the times in the book(which EVERYONE gets when buying a license) sounds like some live  with guilt..im not gonna squable over 5 min..but i have come afield to a warzone way after time..thats when words were had..best part of it...they missed..bwahahaha...if  yer sittin on a field edge its tough..in the woods forget it...it gets dark quick

Antler..i actually agree..where did the fog roll in?..i have to add 45 min to the times in the book(which EVERYONE gets when buying a license) sounds like some live  with guilt..im not gonna squable over 5 min..but i have come afield to a warzone way after time..thats when words were had..best part of it...they missed..bwahahaha...if  yer sittin on a field edge its tough..in the woods forget it...it gets dark quick

Pat the whole thing is about 5 minutes, Some think if you shoot 5 minutes before or after legal shooting time you are a criminal. I am not talking about shooting in the dark or road hunting, just those few minutes leading up to legal hunting time. Many times I don't even wear a watch and in that case I let the light and field of view be my guide. I am arguing a point not saying I am shooting deer illegally, but if I saw a nice buck at 6:50 instead of 6:55 am I think I would shoot.

Dave

When I used to hunt with my father in law on Gibsonville between Leicester and Perry , we would hear shooting while it was still dark . One morning I was sitting in the car finishing my coffee before daylight . I car pulled up behind me and a fellow got out and approached my car . I rolled down the window and it was a DEC officer . He asked if I had a gun in the car and I told him it was laying on the back seat , empty with the chamer open . He shined the light on it and said okay .

Then he said there had been shooting quite early the previous morning and I told him I had heard it . I said he could check my shotgun if he wanted as it hadn't been fifed . He declined and told me to be safe and have a good day . That is the only time in 45 years that I have met a DEC officer while hunting .

I agree with the 5 minutes bit but I always hope that no deer comes within shooting distance until legal time .  ???

Pat the whole thing is about 5 minutes, Some think if you shoot 5 minutes before or after legal shooting time you are a criminal. I am not talking about shooting in the dark or road hunting, just those few minutes leading up to legal hunting time. Many times I don't even wear a watch and in that case I let the light and field of view be my guide. I am arguing a point not saying I am shooting deer illegally, but if I saw a nice buck at 6:50 instead of 6:55 am I think I would shoot.

Dave

If you do something against the law... it is a crime... but what is more of a crime is that some hunters care more about killing the buck than the law... and as someone has already said.. even if the law was changed to 15 minutes before and after legal sunrise and sunset.. some guys would be using the same lame excuse if they shot a buck 20 minutes before or after... it's too bad really that hunters can't learn better restraint... seems kinda selfish

It's like the Road runner and Coyote show. Punch in game on punch out game off! lol

Not comparing NYS law with any other state but how many shows have you seen when a hunter is on a big buck and they run out of light to film the shot, I can remember plenty. I'm sure it was way past sunset and not just 10 minutes.

Well if i hear a shot way early i think that the guy is unethical and more or less a criminal. a shot within a few minutes..well maybe his watch is off or mine is. There are a lot of laws out there and if one took the time to look at and learn them all i'm sure even the most ethical guy could be found in violation of something. How many people report their deer? is that as bad as shooting a minute early or late?. I cannot control the actions others off my property and do the best i can to follow all the laws i know of, the violators just have to live with themselves....

Yeah, I also hear those shots taken in the pitch darkness of pre-dawn.

Always hope no one was shot!!!! Those are usually shots taken at unidentified bounding white tails.

I don't carry a watch with me hunting and there is no time clock at my treestand either.

My scoped muzzleloader is my weapon of choice during gun season, so I get one well placed shot (hopefully).

The sight pins on my bow need sufficient light to glow & see.

Hunt in woodlots where it's dark or at least gray well within legal shooting times.

Am in the stand well before 1st light and out when it's too dark to see.

If it's light enough to absolutely distinguish what I'm shooting at, it'll be an ethically placed shot and I can positively be certain it's a safe shot - I'm shooting and not checking the time first.

This will happen 99.9% of the time well within legal shooting times, if I were to check my phone for the time.

At last light I'm generally out of the stand well before last shooting light.

By then things are too gray & fuzzy to distinguish what your target is, with out any uncertainty!

Over the years I've passed on a few of those pre-dawn situations because I was unsure of my target.

If I were hunting open fields or during a full moon with clear skies, might pay more attention to the actual time.

Have I shot at deer outside of legal hunting hours?

In the past - Maybe twice could I question the time I had shot (full moon scenarios), but I'll bet it was within legal shooting time.

I hate hearing those distant shots hunters take in the pre-dawn darkness.

The ones that sound closer make me very nervous and fell very unsafe!!!!