Weird antlers

Buckstopshere

Yes, we have a couple wierd looking young bucks this year.. i wonder if there just not used to antlers on their heads and bang them against things.. accidentally or purposely.. Ive always wondered, cause you never see them look like this at 3 and 4 years of age.. I wonder if this one here is a doe with antlers.. Have had one here a few years back.. 

Ive got another this year, that looks identical to yours. Just cant seem to find the picture. 

IMG_0191.jpg

received_10155251986175971.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/29/2017 at 8:22 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Yes, we have a couple wierd looking young bucks this year.. i wonder if there just not used to antlers on their heads and bang them against things.. accidentally or purposely.. Ive always wondered, cause you never see them look like this at 3 and 4 years of age.. I wonder if this one here is a doe with antlers.. Have had one here a few years back.. 

Ive got another this year, that looks identical to yours. Just cant seem to find the picture. 

IMG_0191.jpg

received_10155251986175971.jpeg

I wonder what goes on out there at the MURDERPLOT, lol

• Like 1

my money wouldn't be on any "scrub" genetics but instead on the idea it was injured or injured the pedicle.  if it shows up next season the same way then i'd go with busted pedicle.  i've known of multiple bucks to be injured on one side either during velvet or from body injury.  following year they grew into nice typical racks.  velvet injury does weird things like in the picture.  body injury can effect a rack by stunting growth or causing a lack of uniform development.  just what i've seen.

• Like 1

The buck I shot last year has a messed up left side. From the looks of it, he partially broke it at some point when he was in velvet, and it continued to grow. There were no other injuries or signs of old injuries on him besides the hole my Rage left. I'm guessing he ran into a tree or something like that. I'd say pedicle damage of some sort on that one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, biggamefish said:

Looks like he mated with a ram or a goat!!  Is that a tip tie liking branch??

Yep...that's how attract bucks. I took those branches off another active scrape, about 5 miles away. This guy came in today...to the same branch in the background. He would be in trouble if he comes by me in hard-horn. My wife said he is too big  and too pretty to eat. Women (no offense met to the gal hunters on the site!.:rolleyes:)

3 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

my money wouldn't be on any "scrub" genetics but instead on the idea it was injured or injured the pedicle.  if it shows up next season the same way then i'd go with busted pedicle.  i've known of multiple bucks to be injured on one side either during velvet or from body injury.  following year they grew into nice typical racks.  velvet injury does weird things like in the picture.  body injury can effect a rack by stunting growth or causing a lack of uniform development.  just what i've seen.

Velvet buck by the brook 8.29.17 .jpg