Going back to the recurve this season

Rattler

I shot FF Flemish strings on all of the traditional bows I had. What I like about FF strings is that they do not change brace height when unstrung and restrung like Dacron strings.
I've been nervous about trying them on my bows. I was told that they can damage the limb tips if the bow wasn't designed for them so I've shyed away. I do have very limited experience with traditional archery though so maybe I'm being overly cautious.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

When I left Southern Indiana in 1998, about 1/2 of the bow hunters were shooting traditional bows. Many found that in a clutch situation at the usual close ranges, the instinctive shooting style was less prone to error.

Not sure what the percentage of traditional bow hunters is now.

5 minutes ago, glittergoat said:

Most that use FF on older bows pad their loops. I stick to B55 on my older bows.

Flemish string construction uses all of the strands for the loop whereas "endless loop" strings have only 1/2 the number of strands in the loop compared to Flemish strings of similar strand count.

Flemish strings kind of provide their own "padding".

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

Unlike compound bows, recurves, and even more so longbows, will not lose significant velocity with moderate arrow weight increases. I once ran my 60# Howatt "Hunter" over a chronograph with 100gr and 145gr screw in broadheads. The velocity loss was less than 5 fps average.

Cut on contact broadheads will significantly improve penetration. I soid a lot of Magnus 2 blade (4 with insert) broadneads when I had my traditional archery business.

QjwClfh.jpg

My favorites were the old 125gr Bear glue on razorheads.

dWtH9TY.jpg

I have a half dozen of these Bear broad heads with screw in attachments on them.  They have the blade inserts too, so they are 4 blade.  Have not hunted with them recently.  

Years ago had a nice Bear 50# recurve bow that used custom cedar arrows.  Some miscreants broke in the deer camp and stole it, as well as the cedar arrows that I used in it.  Wish I still had that one.

2 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

Flemish string construction uses all of the strands for the loop whereas "endless loop" strings have only 1/2 the number of strands in the loop compared to Flemish strings of similar strand count.

Flemish strings kind of provide their own "padding".

Depends on material choice and strand count with flemish as to whether padding is added for proper fit.

With endless, different dia. servings can be used and/or strands added to the end for proper fit and "cushioning".

2 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

It specifies older traditional bows WITHOUT REINFORCED LIMB TIPS.

B50/55 can be used on any bow built either endless or Flemish. Common thinking is it is the only choice for older bows without reinforced tips. However many of these bows where shot with either linen or Kevlar strings - both have less stretch than most all the modern string materials. They just were not durable. The problem with many older bows was the string nock cut at too sharp angle on the limb tip.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Glitter, Flemish is the style of string not material.   FF can be used to make Flemish strings. 

Yep - think I posted above that what I have mine made from (B50). I have some endless loop, but prefer Flemish. I think the only bow I have that I have tips that I'd chance it with is a Drake with micarta tips. Sometimes it better just not to chance it. If I had a newer bows I'd use FF for sure!

39 minutes ago, glittergoat said:

Yep - think I posted above that what I have mine made from (B50). I have some endless loop, but prefer Flemish. I think the only bow I have that I have tips that I'd chance it with is a Drake with micarta tips. Sometimes it better just not to chance it. If I had a newer bows I'd use FF for sure!

Sorry.  Did mean to imply you don't know, but was clarifying for those that don't.  I like the look of Flemish better

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Sorry.  Did mean to imply you don't know, but was clarifying for those that don't.  I like the look of Flemish better

No worries - I didn't take it that way. :-)

Did you get limbs for your bow? If you need a substitute bow to use this season, let me know. I have spares laying around. I am in Rochester.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, glittergoat said:

No worries - I didn't take it that way. :-)

Did you get limbs for your bow? If you need a substitute bow to use this season, let me know. I have spares laying around. I am in Rochester.

Thanks Glitter.  Limbs are supposed to be shipped next week but just in case, I bought another bow.   Good excuse.  Lol  It will be here Tuesday.  but thank you for the very generous offer.  If you ever want to shoot, hit me up. 

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Thanks Glitter.  Limbs are supposed to be shipped next week but just in case, I bought another bow.   Good excuse.  Lol  It will be here Tuesday.  but thank you for the very generous offer.  If you ever want to shoot, hit me up. 

Ha! That's what I would have done. I'm trying to thin out my collection of 30 bows. I'm down to 37 now. ;-)

Where are you shooting? Backyard range?

5 minutes ago, glittergoat said:

Ha! That's what I would have done. I'm trying to thin out my collection of 30 bows. I'm down to 37 now. ;-)

Where are you shooting? Backyard range?

Back yard and 22-23 yds in my basement.  37 is a lot of bows.   When the limbs and new bow arrive, I will have 2 that I shoot.   I have 2 more bear bows that just sit because they are really too short for me but were gifts -73 kodiak mag (got me started with trad) and a super mag. I did kill a deer with the kodiak mag but it's a little twitchy at my DL.  I haven't even shot the super mag.  Needs a string.

54 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Back yard and 22-23 yds in my basement.  37 is a lot of bows.   When the limbs and new bow arrive, I will have 2 that I shoot.   I have 2 more bear bows that just sit because they are really too short for me but were gifts -73 kodiak mag (got me started with trad) and a super mag. I did kill a deer with the kodiak mag but it's a little twitchy at my DL.  I haven't even shot the super mag.  Needs a string.

Its actually 28 bows, but the joke is more funny with exaggerated numbers leading you to believe I'm not doing a good job of managing my habit.

My kids have Kodiak Magnums, but we find they like the Kodiak Hunters better (the longer length is more forgiving for them). I have some Browning's that are 56 inches, but I don't think I'd hunt with anything shorter than that. Even though people say that those Super Magnums don't stack, I struggle with the concept of a bow that short. They are cool though!

The trad discussions are fun - wish there was a little more discussion on them here.

Glitter some of those short bows are awsome! The problem I have with them isn't the stacking it's the finger pinch. I have a 29.5 in draw and a short bow doesn't like the fingers way back there. Some of those old bow where built unbelievable strong and smooth as butter when you draw.