New York Newbie

Union County PA

So my friend bought some ground just southwest of Van Etten, New York and it's in Chemung county....anybody from around there?  We live in central PA and we are pretty excited to start hunting N.Y.  This site is awesome!  We have a huntingpa.com website also, and I am hoping to find out that this community is as helpful as ours is in PA.  I was just curious about what that area is good for?  Bear, turkey, deer?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  The other question I have is, I am an archery hunter...if I buy an archery tag and have a regular tag, can I shoot two buck or is it one of each?  I was a little confused, as N.Y. does it a little different then PA. 

• Like 1

So my friend bought some ground just southwest of Van Etten, New York and it's in Chemung county....anybody from around there?  We live in central PA and we are pretty excited to start hunting N.Y.  This site is awesome!  We have a huntingpa.com website also, and I am hoping to find out that this community is as helpful as ours is in PA.  I was just curious about what that area is good for?  Bear, turkey, deer?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  The other question I have is, I am an archery hunter...if I buy an archery tag and have a regular tag, can I shoot two buck or is it one of each?  I was a little confused, as N.Y. does it a little different then PA. 

Welcome. I grew up in SW PA. Buying a NY regular hunting tag will give you a buck tag for Rifle season only (one exception below). When you buy your archery privilege, you'll get a tag that is good for either sex bow. If you buy a muzzleloader privilege you'll get another Doe tag. By buying both archery and muzzleloader privileges, both tags are good for either bow/muzz season. You can also apply for DMP (Doe tags in PA) for your wildlife management unit. For example my tag situation this year:
Buck tag: Rifle only.
Archery Either Sex Tag: Good for Bow or muzz
Archery/muzz antlerless: good for bow or muzz
2 DMP tags 7J: antlerless any season

There are some other rules too that I haven't included like your rifle buck tag can be used for buck or Doe in late season with bow/muzz privilege. And my DMP application works a little different cause I own more then 50 acres in a wmu.

Hope this helps. And welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 8:41 AM, Union County PA said:

I'm in the NW corner of Chemung North of Corning and Horseheads. Never hunted over that direction, I know Ithaca is loaded with deer and have a special season to try and remove some of the more urban deer. Good luck over there, not much longer.