Fisher

Cabin Fever

15 minutes ago, left field said:

A littler of fishers trained correctly would make a great unholy army of the night.

I've yet to see a bobcat. Really want to see a bobcat. What terrain, time of day, time of year, etc., should I focus on?

My wife saw a bobcat on her morning walk around the property 2 days ago. Last year she treed a bunch of kittens, then came to get me. You can find some photos at this thread 

I was lucky. I saw my first fisher in the dacks in 73. It was 25 years before I saw the second, again in the dacks. I didn't see one in Otsego County - in the flesh - until 3 or 4 years ago. I've been getting photos of them on wildlife cameras since  2010. 

I don't have a video but as I ,sat in what  I now call the toxic blind,during gun season a couple of years ago  I watched one running through our woods headed toward the neighbors swamp...It was a big one and yes it was like a pouncing type run , but what stuck with me was how due to it's length, it looked like a big blk. fast moving inch worm  with a tail, against the snow as it went through the woods...

Last year I saw one dragging a rabbit through the same area.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, slickrockpack said:

my thinking is thin them out to make the woods safe for other critters,

there are some animals that we should try to wipe out,  like turkeys for instance.

one turkey eats as much food as 13 grouse, so a whole flock of turkeys are taking the place of probably 1,278 ruffed grouse, without those turkeys the woods would be full of grouse.

I prefer hunting grouse and eating them too over turkeys

the stinking things turn my stomach and they aren't great eating either.

I shoot every turkey I see in the gut with a 22 short,

turkey season I just say im woodchuck hunting and in fall I say im shooting red squirrels, all winter too, and then when i call  turkey in or see a flock I lay into them with the 22 shorts.

in a couple years NY should see fantastic grouse numbers and you have me to thank!  you're welcome.

without the turkeys the fisher should starve and again, you are welcome! ;) 

you sir, are an idiot. I have no other words to reply to this post. you basically admit to jacking turkeys, can someone turn this guy into DEC?

well you aren't thinking it through, its pretty simple really, we do the same thing with spike deer, a half dozen spikes will eat food that would otherwise turn your 6 pointers into 10 pointers, we shoot every spike we see in the guts with 22s so they run off and die, then all that extra food goes into making the big bucks even bigger. Its just common sense plus you get to hunt and shoot 20 deer without ever using your tag up. its a win win. youre not thinking it through

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Me 2 I'm not even going to set for them hoping to not delete the population so my kid can trap them too when he runs his own line. I figure I may set for them every 9ther year

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you catch one accidentally you going to release it? If so I want a video not that I doubt you would but it would seem like a real chore.

16 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

well you aren't thinking it through, its pretty simple really, we do the same thing with spike deer, a half dozen spikes will eat food that would otherwise turn your 6 pointers into 10 pointers, we shoot every spike we see in the guts with 22s so they run off and die, then all that extra food goes into making the big bucks even bigger. Its just common sense plus you get to hunt and shoot 20 deer without ever using your tag up. its a win win. youre not thinking it through

I just liked it because so many people started freaking out. Obviously people are way to sensitive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

If you catch one accidentally you going to release it? If so I want a video not that I doubt you would but it would seem like a real chore.

I figure less than 0.1% of the population are real idiots, but they sure make themselves known, technically by bell curve, half the people are below average in intelligence and they seem to congregate in bars and gun shops, but people hit them there or ignore them, the internet gives them free reign.

on the fisher live trapping, we have fellas north of us that live trap marten and to ensure the population they check the sex of each catch and release the females....their best tip is to grab it on the first try after a missed grab the marten figure out what's going on and are tough to grab.

full-6517-381773-aaa7.png

full-6517-381774-aaa8.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slickrockpack said:

I figure less than 0.1% of the population are real idiots, but they sure make themselves known, technically by bell curve, half the people are below average in intelligence and they seem to congregate in bars and gun shops, but people hit them there or ignore them, the internet gives them free reign.

on the fisher live trapping, we have fellas north of us that live trap marten and to ensure the population they check the sex of each catch and release the females....their best tip is to grab it on the first try after a missed grab the marten figure out what's going on and are tough to grab.

full-6517-381773-aaa7.png

full-6517-381774-aaa8.png

Marten seem like a domesticated feline vs a bobcat when comparing them to Fisher. Not saying marten can't be mean but they are a little smaller and a little weaker.

21 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You guys do realize he's just busting ballz ?! Right ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmmmmm......That doesn't sound like me

you're brother have any snow of by hebgen? I'm supposed to go to Bozeman to drop some stuff off but finding an open road is hard right now, I don't want to get stuck in montana.....

That's where a catch pole comes in handy. And another person. I've let quite a few coon go trying for canines. Some big feisty ones too. No catch pole. Fur wasn't worth dispatching them , then all the fat removal ( fleshing ), put on stretchers for all of $4. Have a trapping stick with a hook on the end to retrieve drowning sets from water. I'll pin the coons head down and stand on stick to pin him down and pray it's enough pressure to hold him. Open leghold trap and pray he runs away from me and not at me lol. Almost always low paw catches so they'll be just fine. 448ad92f333cb71b62b1cf16274c329c.jpg

• Like 1

mmmmmm......That doesn't sound like me
you're brother have any snow of by hebgen? I'm supposed to go to Bozeman to drop some stuff off but finding an open road is hard right now, I don't want to get stuck in montana.....

Not sure exactly where he is at the moment but text yesterday saying snowing pretty hard. He's always bouncing around between Hebgen , north fork , big hole , Henry's fork , Madison etc.

2 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

We only have a 5 day season so chances are I will have to release it. Not bad with a catch pole and a gun lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

fisher and wolverine are protected here now, and mountain lions still can't be trapped we hoped that was changing this year but the libtards from LA have plenty of money to hang everything up in court.

treat them as you would a strange cat and you'll be fine. animals aren't looking to get hurt and will avoid a fight if they can.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:33 AM, left field said:

A littler of fishers trained correctly would make a great unholy army of the night.

I've yet to see a bobcat. Really want to see a bobcat. What terrain, time of day, time of year, etc., should I focus on?

I have probably seen more crossing the road in my headlights than any other time...However I have several in broad daylight...

One ran across Rte  15 near Erwin Junction  at 1:00 PM  in the afternoon on a bright sunny day..I had to climb on the brakes to keep from hitting him.. I have seen them while I was deer hunting in mid morning and mid afternoon...I saw one try to catch a blue heron in the Canisteo River at dawn..The bird got away and the cat got soaked..He looked VERY disgusted as he slunk away down the river bank..Hehehe...