Tree stand height

Swamp_bucks

Most of my ladders are 15-18. When using the climber usually 18-24 feet sometimes higher in gun. Depends a lot on the cover and shooting lanes available. As I get older I am not a fan of super high hights though. Some of my little brothers sets freak me out. I sat one one year and I would not have been able to shoot as I was afraid to not be holding on lol.

Edited by Fletch

15 to 20 feet for the vast majority of our stands. I have a couple of new ones that will be going in that will be 25 to 30 feet up the tree, but they are in spots where they need to be that high. They will be overlooking plots or other target areas on ridge tops, and the tree is 20 - 30 yards away on the hill side. We need the stands to be 15ish feet above the target area, so they need to be pretty high up the tree. No other way to be able to shoot into the target area.

Depends on which side of the stand you look, Sitting looking up the hill above you makes it seem short looking down hill it seems like your a mile in the air.

I hunt from 15'-25' up it all depends on the area and what I have for cover. Generally if there is less back drop higher up the tree I go the more back drop the lower I am. If I'm looking over a gully I'll be fine at 15', if I'm below a ridge I'll try to get up higher so I'm more level with the ridge.

WNY beat me to it.

Edited by chas0218

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I hope you use a harness on that milk crate!

LOL!  But I did fall off one a couple years ago. Went to sit down in the dark and mis-judged where it was, and went azz over tea kettle. With all the racket and muffled laughing, didn't see any deer that morning.

• Like 5

no idea i'd guess most are as high as cheap ladder stand distance to 20+' when i use my climber.  i just climb to as high as i have back cover.  no need to go further.  i am working on a stand that's at the end of my creek bottom it'll be probably 30' or so.  reason being it's to see up over a rise in the corn field that comes off the end of the creek bottom cover.  at the base is a some connector creek/stream  it's about 6' difference in elevation just from the water to the edge of the corn field a bow shot away.  it's purpose will be a doe tag filling stand during regular season for a backup. in case we reach the quota on another property and i haven't filled all tags i intend to during early season.  may bow hunt it if deer are coming in range of it.  we'll see.