Who's Ready ?

Salmon_Run

• 2 weeks later...

Here it comes.....leaves falling, chill in the air, damp smell of leaves and evergreens in the air, wood stove warmth, smoke curling from the chimney and it's almost here !!!

Gear sorted and all washed, snow camo packed for late season and truck being packed.

Have a great fall and enjoy....

• Like 1

Went up last weekend.  Warm....  but tues morning was frosty!

Saw does everyday, and saw moose tracks when I stalk hunted the atv trails on the lease in stillwater. 

Saving my time for next weekend.  Too warm and a not so serious member bought a new side by side.

Should be calmer then, and put the full gauntlet of cameras out there too.  So I'll have some good Intel on rub lines.

2 weeks to go till the big trip, trying to shake a cold right now.  Hope to get out this weekend if possible.  Really hope the weather changes and we get some snow in Inlet, regardless should be a good time.  Good luck all  you deep woods hunters, be safe!  In so far as ready I would say no, not really, lol.  

• Like 1

2 weeks to go till the big trip, trying to shake a cold right now.  Hope to get out this weekend if possible.  Really hope the weather changes and we get some snow in Inlet, regardless should be a good time.  Good luck all  you deep woods hunters, be safe!  In so far as ready I would say no, not really, lol.  

I'm in the same boat. Came down with a bit of a chest cold last week. It's taking forever to get rid of it. Leaving for nebraska on Friday. Hoping it's all gone by then. I got a long walk to where I'll be hanging a stand, need free and clear lungs!

On 10/23/2017 at 9:40 AM, SilentStalker said:

How'd you guys do in the Adirondacks this weekend? Decided to head up this coming weekend rather than the rifle opener due to weather forecast. Looks like it will be a little cooler this weekend.

It sure was warm.  Saturday morning was about 40 at sunup and up to 70 by 9:00 and Sunday was warmer yet.  It had not rained in over a week and 75 % of the leaves were down and very crunchy in the hardwoods.   I did not see any natural deer movement but I did stillhunt to within 50 yards of one on Sunday afternoon, before it busted out of the cover and I could not identify if it had antlers or not.  I tried rattling a bit each morning, about a half hour after sunrise.  Saturday morning, I fooled another hunter who slowly stalked within 50 yards of my position (without breaking a single twig) until I whisled to alert him of my location.   We got a pretty good chuckle out of that, when he stopped by my father in law's place on his gator in the afternoon.    

I skipped the Saturday afternoon hunt, because I could not have dealt with a carcass in the warm weather and the butcher shop I use up there is closed on Sundays.  The bass fishing was pretty good Saturday afternoon, when I landed about a dozen smallmouths on bucktail jigs including a 19 and a 20 incher.   The hunting was comfortable in the warm, dry weather, but the deer motion was lacking.   I was a little dissappointed  to not get some rainy or snowy weather to try out my new open-sighted Marlin 336BL, 30/30 lever.  It was good weather for my old, scoped  Ruger M77 30/06 bolt-action, so that is all I carried.   We are heading up again over Thanksgiving and I hope the weather gets colder by then, and maybe a little snow.         

Went up Thursday and muzzle loader hunting till Saturday and it was way too warm (70's) each day and very little deer movement. Saturday night at 9:30 I went outside and felt like I was being watched.

Yep, the deer were in my yard and by my picnic table eating beach nuts. My light was dim so I could only see green eyes and the outline of deer.  It was a great trip at camp to just hang out and get a few chores done, but not for backwoods deer hunting. Going back North soon and hope for a weather change.

• 2 weeks later...