Team Legend 2017

First-light

Not much to report on my end so far. We do have a few hunters in camp next weekend. My brother and I took on two big jobs for October and the beginning of November. 

Can't pass the work up when it's there. So the plan is for us to leave November 11th and bow hunt right up to the gun opener, leaving the 21st. Its all good and will give us a lot of time in the woods. 

So the kids had the cabin to themselves this weekend. Eric was able to come down from Trooper training and Gioia made the trip up Friday night. She got into one of our top stands on the property by 4:45 Friday afternoon. She managed to let one fly at a six point around 5;30. Unfortunately she missed. She is still waiting for her first bow kill. They saw a bunch of doe Saturday morning with no shots then headed to a wedding Saturday afternoon in Watkins. This morning it was cold rainy and had no deer movement. They saw a lot of rubs and some scrapes. Here is a pict of a big boy in my lower food plot. Also  a huge rub he may have made? Sorry for the bad quality on the deer pict I think the SD card is going. 

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Part of Team Legend left today for camp. I will leave around 3 am and hit the cabin around 9-9:30. Going to do some cabin chores and take a nice walk in the woods around 1:00 for my first official sit. We have internet at the cabin so I will update every night. Two bow hunters until Wednesday then a third joins us. Only three gun hunters this year. My Niece and her husband have a wedding opening weekend!!!! OMG. Sucks for them!

Sunday 11/12   Got in my stand at 1:00. Had a doe come running in at 2:00 and I knew she was being chased. Out comes a nice 6 point and a small 4 pt. They chase her across the flay and disappear. That was it for the day. Brother was to meet me at the cabin at 8:00 and rolled his van right by the Kanona exit. Car in front of him hit a deer and stopped in the middle lane. He swerved and slid to the median once he hit the dirt she went over. Hunter and dog are ok thank God!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Glad there ok! There has been 3 other deer hits that i know of right there. Thats our hill to the north of the exit, a lot of deer cross there where Kanona, 390 and 86 all intersect. 

That's the spot. Big doe bought the farm. He needs a new passenger door. Thanks

• Like 1

Monday morning. Had a 7 pt come in to my drag line a walk right to my stand. He got a free pass.

Afternoon saw 10 different deer. 6 doe 4 bucks. Two were shooters but just couldn't get off a clean shot. My property is torn up with rubs and scrapes. Saw a picture of a local deer 8 pt that is gigantic. Never saw an 8 so big. 4 more days to bow hunt and I'm waiting for the big guy!

• Like 2

Today was interesting. I saw 3 different bucks and 7 doe. All the bucks were small in size. I'm getting the feeling the big boys may be in lock down mode with a doe. The locals told me last week it was pretty crazy with chasing and nose to the ground big buck sightings. My brother got a decent one out of his bed this afternoon. Good size deer it was alone. Another hunter coming in tonight. Qeather looks pretty bad for tomorrow but you never know. 

Not such a bad morning until about 9:00 we got thunder snow, sleet and rain! The new hunter saw a nice buck just out of range. I saw the same 4 doe again same spot 1/2 hour earlier. Still could not get a shot at those two Alpha does, they are huge! Here is a trail cam pict of one.

PICT0073.JPG

• Like 1

Friday- This mornings hunt was great. I had a small 6 come in around 8 and let him walk by. At 8;15 my first real big buck showed up. He was a real nice 8 pt. Came in at 30 yards but too much brush around me for the shot. I turned him three times with grunts and doe bleats but couldn't get him to commit. It was a great morning and I thought that was the big one for the week.....I was wrong. 

For some reason the Friday before gun opener has been a great day for big buck sightings. I got in the stand at 1;30. By 2:00 there was chasing behind me. I didn't here any grunts just deer running back and forth. I think it was about 45 minutes later a few doe come out and head my way . They come up by me and head into the thicket bedding area. Another hour passes and more chasing and now I'm hearing grunting. I never see the buck chasing and they head off into the distance. About 4:15 I hear two grunts behind me. I'm thinking another buck he has to be small cause he would of taken over the chasing. No it wasn't small it was the biggest buck I have ever seen in my life. It looked like a mule deer. The bases were huge and it didn't have much tine lenght but the mass continued all the way arount. Think of a baseball bat twisted like an antler. The guys behind me told me about an amazing deer they saw once this yaer. This has to be him. He walked directly towards me at 40 yards. He then turned and headed up into the bedding area at 35 yards. Too much brush to shoot. It was truely amazing to see this animal. I thought about all those deer I passed this week and how if I shot one of them I wouldn't be in stand to see this. It's something I will seriously consider when I'm out next. Good luck to all tomorrow!

• Like 1

Opening day was nice here in 8P. I passed on a number of doe and didn't see one buck. Brother did the same. Our friend Steve had a chase going on and shot a buck. We spent two hours looking for this deer. Left a couple of really good blood beds but we lost the blood after a while. Good luck tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

3 Hunters headed to the cabin this weekend, I should say 2 the other is a 13 year old boy experiencing hunting for the first time. He is the son of a good friend of ours. His dad hunts with us and is going to have him tag along to see if he likes it. My brother is also up there. Weather looks pretty good for them to hunt in. Another big 8 pt was taken by the guys who live behind me. Thing had a 20 inch spread and nice long tines. They have doe permits so they should get a shot or two. I'm headed up next Sunday for last day then 3 days of muzzleloader. Can't wait!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, First-light said:

. I'm headed up next Sunday for last day then 3 days of muzzleloader. Can't wait!

Check the calendar before you go, next Sunday is the 10th which it the last day of gun season. The last weekend is 12/16-17.

Plus I need to know when to hide from you so I don't get caught trespassing.

11 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Check the calendar before you go, next Sunday is the 10th which it the last day of gun season. The last weekend is 12/16-17.

Plus I need to know when to hide from you so I don't get caught trespassing.

We got a lot of good hunting in on his property following his "Team Legend" threads in the past, that's for sure.  He tells us when he's there and when he's not.  Funny how Bert hasn't figured this out yet?