Improving a climber?

TurtleFace

18 minutes ago, TurtleFace said:

My climbers Carry straps combined with the bare metal on my back is really making me not want to even bother if I'm going to be doing much walking in at all. I'm thinking pool noodle for against my back, but what suggestions does everyone have for replacing the straps?

I've been able to strap my climber (Lone Wolf Hand Climber) to my backpack using the backpack cinch straps and a bungee cord through the top backpack loop.

grab a couple book bag straps , you know the ones with the padded straps. Cut them off and just add them to you shoulder straps and remember tight is right . get that thing as high on your back as you can.Next get yourself a padded seat bottom either for an outdoor chair or for an inside one. They come in different thicknesses, so look around. Affix this to the bottom of your treestand platform , the part next to your back and zip tie the shit out of it. Use a ballpoint pen like a Bic to poke the holes, that way they are round holes and less likeley to rip , as if you slit it with the knife.have your wife sew the straps on to your harness for the platform or melt holes with a hot nail and use some small 1/4 -20 bolts

Alright! When I carry my summit viper I rest my actual backpack full of all the crap into the back of it. This results in a 30+ weight carry and the stock straps were not doing it. I researched last year and the proper way to do this is hit up ebay and buy some of the milspec carry straps (can't remember what they are called--see the picture above mine from mallmerhirt FTW--though I didn't get the straps with the frame as they can attach directly to the climber). I attached the straps and the kidney belt to my climber and I used some pieces of paracord to help secure it left to right (see the black paracord there so it doesn't shift). 

I honestly don't bother with the kidney belt for short walks because the main straps themselves are awesome. I played with this setup for an entire evening trying to test the best approach and for me it's exactly in this picture. The seat comes through the frame and sits against my lower back. With it setup like this everything works very well and I can still sit my backpack on the back of the climber on its frame. This setup is a million times better than the stock trapezius muscle shredding straps.

I leave these attached, they don't get in the way or inhibit climbing in any manner at all. 

climber.thumb.jpg.a17218015926d691a717a639ebdd4466.jpg

Edited by Core
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TurtleFace said:

Ah very good ideas, thanks guys. No kids and I'm better at stitching than the girlfriend though.

yeah i can sew with the best of them so that shits easy for me and i have access to all kinds of grommets and snaps and buckles. good luck with your stand. I did one years ago, i took of all the metal hardware and made it as light as possible.

I know Stoneam 2006 has a packing system on his climber.  I use the padded straps that came with my climber & put the padded seat cushion between the stand & my back.  Also use a waist belt to carry some of the weight & you can walk all day if need be.  my climber only wts. 16#

Edited by hunter49

Core has it. If u can find the straps and waist bands with loops or buckles to attach to ur stand get them. They come off easy and back on easy. I take mine off on windy days to keep em from blowin around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is about back pack straps but i really wanted to share a kick butt tip for a climber . Get some of the friction type hold downs (not ratchet straps) mount the strap to the bottom portion and a friction device out towards the front of the bottom portion also . After using the stand ,you put the 2 half together and wrap the strap around the top and bottom pieces securing them together and lastly through the friction lock and pull it tight ,it really holds the top and bottom together really tight. Then you can mount a set of friction devices on the upper portion for when you are about to climb ,you feed the strap into the top friction devises and it will serve as the line to tether the top and bottom together for safety. I have no idea if any of that makes sense ,i should have just went in the garage and took pictures of mine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Sounds like the straps from thirdhand archery, which are the best thing going for a climber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

79d0d5eee6cf4138fe4f892bbff4f4e9.jpg

I have these , greatest thing since sliced bread!  Snug them up when you get in position & when you stand they put pressure on the seat so it doesn't move or drop

• Like 1