Scope Upgrade

SilverPharmer

I went to a.luepold crossbow scope...crono tested bolt and set scope according to directions.. dialed in with crystal.clarity and 70 yards.. the thing to remember is once set the power becomes fixed.. it's no longer variable or you'll screw up poa

When I first bought my entry-level crossbow (4) years ago, I considered a scope upgrade.   The on/off/intensity knob was quite difficult to rotate on the cheap battery- powered lighted-dot scope that it came with.  My daughter would need to use a pair of pliers to turn it.   Other than that issue, I really like that cheap lighted-dot scope.   It has worked very well on all three bucks that I have used it on (still waiting for the first antlerless deer to present a good shot).   Last fall, I killed my largest buck with it to date, deep in the woods and in the last few minutes of legal light.  Having the ability to adjust the intensity and color (red or green) of those dots, while difficult, is a nice feature.   In bright mid-day conditions out in the open the highest intensity is nearly perfect, as is the lowest in low-light conditions deep in the woods.  I always use the green.  The top dot works well out to 35 yards, and the middle at 50, which is as far as I would shoot at a deer with this 300 fps crossbow.   The lower dot would probably work for targets at longer range.   My biggest fear with that scope is the battery going dead during a hunt so I am always careful to carry a spare. 

I am no longer considering a scope upgrade for this crossbow, because one of my favorite theories has always been: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".   If my daughter want's to use it some day, I can turn it on or off for her, or she can carry a pair of pliers in her pocket.  I also lost the rope-pulley draw device for that crossbow last fall, in the excitement after killing that big buck.  I don't know if she could draw it with the pair of direct-pull chain-clip & t- handles that I made up to replace it.    Those are much faster for me than the rope pulley was, and may even allow for a quick second shot from up in a stand, if a group of antlerless deer ever shows up.  That little crossbow is only 150 pound draw weight, so she might be able to handle it.            

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

When I first bought my entry-level crossbow (4) years ago, I considered a scope upgrade.   The on/off/intensity knob was quite difficult to rotate on the cheap battery- powered lighted-dot scope that it came with.  My daughter would need to use a pair of pliers to turn it.   Other than that issue, I really like that cheap lighted-dot scope.   It has worked very well on all three bucks that I have used it on (still waiting for the first antlerless deer to present a good shot).   Last fall, I killed my largest buck with it to date, deep in the woods and in the last few minutes of legal light.  Having the ability to adjust the intensity and color (red or green) of those dots, while difficult, is a nice feature.   In bright mid-day conditions out in the open the highest intensity is nearly perfect, as is the lowest in low-light conditions deep in the woods.  I always use the green.  The top dot works well out to 35 yards, and the middle at 50, which is as far as I would shoot at a deer with this 300 fps crossbow.   The lower dot would probably work for targets at longer range.   My biggest fear with that scope is the battery going dead during a hunt so I am always careful to carry a spare. 

I am no longer considering a scope upgrade for this crossbow, because one of my favorite theories has always been: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".   If my daughter want's to use it some day, I can turn it on or off for her, or she can carry a pair of pliers in her pocket.  I also lost the rope-pulley draw device for that crossbow last fall, in the excitement after killing that big buck.  I don't know if she could draw it with the pair of direct-pull chain-clip & t- handles that I made up to replace it.    Those are much faster for me than the rope pulley was, and may even allow for a quick second shot from up in a stand, if a group of antlerless deer ever shows up.  That little crossbow is only 150 pound draw weight, so she might be able to handle it.            

I was never a big fan of expensive scopes as long as it is weather proof holds 0 .

Why pay hundreds  more for tiny  little more Clarity in  glass

Unless your planing on shooting in the Olympics makes no sense to me .

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I was never a big fan of expensive scopes as long as it is weather proof holds 0 .

You make a good point.   The $60 Marksman pellet rifle that we bought our daughter for Christmas came with a 1" tube 4X Chinese scope, in addition to fiber-optic sights.   It looks to be of pretty decent quality.  I probably will not use it though, because she needs the practice with open sights for the high school rifle team.

I usually go with mid-range scopes on my rifles and deer guns, currently having an old 1-1/2X Weaver, a couple Redfield Low-Pro widefields variable power (2-7X & 3-9X), and a couple 3X Bushnell Banners.   Most are over 20 years old, none has ever fogged and they all hold zero and have clear focus.  The Redfields are exceptionally good in low light conditions, even though they are not the top-end "Illuminator" models.    

We are always going to have a few who are hung up on the "you get what you pay for" thing.   Personally, I think "a fool and his money are soon parted" is a better fit for most of those folks.      

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

You make a good point.   The $60 Marksman pellet rifle that we bought our daughter for Christmas came with a 1" tube 4X Chinese scope, in addition to fiber-optic sights.   It looks to be of pretty decent quality.  I probably will not use it though, because she needs the practice with open sights for the high school rifle team.

I usually go with mid-range scopes on my rifles and deer guns, currently having an old 1-1/2X Weaver, a couple Redfield Low-Pro widefields variable power (2-7X & 3-9X), and a couple 3X Bushnell Banners.   Most are over 20 years old, none has ever fogged and they all hold zero and have clear focus.  The Redfields are exceptionally good in low light conditions, even though they are not the top-end "Illuminator" models.    

We are always going to have a few who are hung up on the "you get what you pay for" thing.   Personally, I think "a fool and his money are soon parted" is a better fit for most of those folks.      

These are really good scopes for the money 

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-3-9X32-BugBuster-Scope-Mil-dot/dp/B005UGIMNQ

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2018 at 9:03 AM, Storm914 said:

I'm just the opposite. I hate cheap / Chinese POS scopes. I'll gladly pay for Alpha stuff. Just the way I am. 

FYI - Rope cocking devices are not a one size fits all! The length of the rope (pull) has to be adjusted for each shooters height, build &/or arm length and even physical limitations. Wouldn't be unreasonable to have numerous rope cockers for different people using the same Xbow. Just have to keep then ID'ed or separated somehow!

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:32 AM, nyslowhand said:

Interesting, are there actually variable power scopes for Xbows? Thought they were all fixed at 3-4X...

I have a 10 yr old Excalibur vari-zone that has a speed ring on top it goes from 250-350 fps. You set it to the speed of the bow and the 4 "dots" are then spot on for 20, 30, 40, 50 yards. I noticed when I change it that the scope is variable but when set its fixed. I am not sure about other scopes but that is how it works on mine. Its a decent scope that came with my recurve xbow. Remember recurve pound for pound are slower than compounds so no need for anything above 350fps 10 yrs ago. I have Zeiss z point( red dot) on both of my xbows. Reason was I didnt want multiple aiming points and cause xbows are heavy so I figured I would lighten it up by removing scope(1-1.25 lb with mounts) and putting on a 4 ounce red dot. Both bows now are dead on at 25 yards and the 175lb one drop app 0.7 inch per yard out to about 35 yards and the 200lb drops about 0.6 inches per yard out to the same distance. I use to have a 30 yard zero to shoot out ot 40 yards but my 175lber shoots around 300fps whereas the 200lber around 330fps. I just use hold over just like I do with my single pin compound bow. Works for me!

Edited by LIAF
left out info
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
So pretty much all Excalibur crossbows are illegal in NY?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have the Excalibur Vortex (200lb) and my Dad has Ibex (175lb). Both are legal in NY, that’s why we bought them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1