Getting in the Mix

Cedar+Canvas

Howdy all, just introducing myself.  Found the forum a couple days ago.  I'm an Adirondack Mountain hunter who was born in Syracuse, raised in Buffalo and been an NYC resident for the last decade. Spent a bunch of seasons guiding paddling trips in Canada and spent some time working in the outdoor gear industry but pretty much just recreational now. Interested in exploring bow and gun on L.I., Southern Tier, and Catskills as well as connecting with locals up in my area (WMU 5H). Also passionate about trout, canoeing, backpacking and really any adventures I can get my hands on. Stoked to learn a lot and share what I can!

• Like 2

Welcome. Spent a bunch of time up in 5H over the years. Where do you skulk around up there? 

My family has a place in the Morehouse/Hoffmeister area. Roughly in between Speculator and Utica. Mostly hunt state land but have a bit of private permission in the area too. Big woods, tough hunting, but unbelievably beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Cedar+Canvas said:

My family has a place in the Morehouse/Hoffmeister area. Roughly in between Speculator and Utica. Mostly hunt state land but have a bit of private permission in the area too. Big woods, tough hunting, but unbelievably beautiful.

I know the area well. See that you fish as well. Must have spent time on the West Canada, My favorite trout water.  Also spent a lot of time up on the water and int the woods around Nobleboro.  Beautiful area. 

I know the area well. See that you fish as well. Must have spent time on the West Canada, My favorite trout water.  Also spent a lot of time up on the water and int the woods around Nobleboro.  Beautiful area. 

Yes indeed, I walk down to one of the stretches of the West Canada from our front porch in about 5 minutes. We actually sit right next to one of the main tributaries. Some my favorite deep country spots (for both deer and trout) accessed up North of the Nobleboro bridge. Caught some of my first trout ever under that bridge as a little boy.

6 minutes ago, Cedar+Canvas said:

Yes indeed, I walk down to one of the stretches of the West Canada from our front porch in about 5 minutes. We actually sit right next to one of the main tributaries. Some my favorite deep country spots (for both deer and trout) accessed up North of the Nobleboro bridge. Caught some of my first trout ever under that bridge as a little boy.

I have memories going back 45 years of a stone falls up there catching trout and an old cable crossing to a hunting camp across the stream. Probably been 25 years since I was on that stream. Wonder if that cable crossing is still there. 

I have memories going back 45 years of a stone falls up there catching trout and an old cable crossing to a hunting camp across the stream. Probably been 25 years since I was on that stream. Wonder if that cable crossing is still there. 

It absolutely is. Don’t know if the cable crossing is still functional but it’s there and the camp still stands. Just fished it this summer. That hole, we call it “the flume,” gets hammered pretty hard by locals but it’s always worth some time. My dad nailed a few nice natives out of that spot several days after a heavy rain last summer. Beautiful spot to hang even if it’s been fished out.

• Like 2

I remember fishing the "flow" when it was owned by Utica China, full of clear water and pulling beautiful native book trout from under the two spillways. My grandfather and I spent countless hours fishing and hunting Morehouse.

Now I have my own off grid camp and am teaching my kids the area and fishing ways.....

Memories are fond.

• Like 1

I remember fishing the "flow" when it was owned by Utica China, full of clear water and pulling beautiful native book trout from under the two spillways. My grandfather and I spent countless hours fishing and hunting Morehouse.
Now I have my own off grid camp and am teaching my kids the area and fishing ways.....
Memories are fond.

Yep The Floe is still beautiful and productive. My dad has told me many stories about the China Company land and wandering through there when it was in limbo before Dr. Vacarro bought it. Back in the day the camp’s deuce-and-half would pass by my dad and uncles with hunting guests when they would camp back there as kids. Sounded like a tank, he always said.

• Like 1