Red squirrel in the cabin

First-light

16 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Yep.  I use those black plastic traps that have jaws on them.  Get them at Tractor Supply.  The brand name is Tom Cat.  They're reliable and easy to set.    

Also had luck with rat poison in bar form.  Tom Cat also makes that. Good luck with the destructive little bugger.

be careful with the rat poison.  My buddy lost a dog from it.  Not because he ate the poison directly but because the dog caught a mouse that ate the poisonn

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Rat trap and not poison   Poison will kill them but they possibly may crawl into somewhere and die leaving you with a good stink for awhile

Or another animal will find it and eat it.

I have caught rats in a 30gal water trough with a way in but no way out. That may work too.

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

Shouldn't be enough of a concentration in the mouse/rat/squirrel to hurt another, larger animal.  I get what you're saying, but don't believe it.  Better safe than sorry.  Also, poisoned animals seek out water and shouldn't stay in the cabin.

I don't use poison at my house, but have plenty of experience with it at the dairy farm I used to work at.