Neighbor Advice Needed

Five Seasons

16 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If history is any indication you will get him to post a pic eventually, im subscribed!

I'm not petty enough to air out others identities on the forum. For all I know he's a lurker here. I'm trying to keep this civil.

16 hours ago, Just Lucky said:

however it made me pursue different avenues. I sent out letters to land owners for permission,  had coworkers with land allow me to hunt, found a hunting buddy with same mind set, got family members who got old and no longer hunt but allow me to. Looking back made me better at the game cause now have different situations to hunt and find deer. Alot of people will give permission to hunt their land for a little of your time if asked. Good luck and hope it works out for you

i have really been bouncing this around in my head since Sunday. From the obvious extremes of booby trapping him to just giving up. I think we all go through the wide spectrum of ideas when faced with a situation that is somewhat out of our control. I've tentatively settled on 2 things. Wait it out as there's not much time left of gun season and to start looking for more land to hunt, including my wife's grandpas farm. This is something I've been toying with anyhow as our land really can't handle the pressure. I do believe this will start me on a long off season campaign to find some land to hunt. 

15 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

The problem is that 3o acres is a bit small for 3 hunters....and i am guessing you would be pretty ticked if he dropped a slammer.

this is exactly the problem. It's honestly small for just my dad and I. What I've left out of this story is that the neighbors to the east hunt the back 10 during gun. They even hunt our back 5 and their own small piece north of the creek. They've never asked anybody for permission and my dad not being a gun hunter has never cared so long as they don't mess up the bow season. What you essentially have is 6 to 10 hunters on  about 80 acres with another 80 or so north of us that is off limits except to a small group. The small group hasn't been hunting this year which has created a sanctuary. Oh and did i mention the fields to the far west of the block are also hunted? And across the road to the south was all farm land and bought up and posted and QMD'd with food plots and what not? lol. it's enough to drive a man to drink... more. 

14 hours ago, nyantler said:

You actually have it good... the guy could have told the father in law he wanted the land to himself and you could be out completely. Count your blessings you could be hunting on just your 15 acre piece.

they just married this year. My dad has talked to the neighbor a few times before and since. Their relationship is well established and good and there's no indication that he's going to boot my dad. But yes it's on the table. 

To be honest I would point out he was a little close to be hunting but not hunting together. Your hands are a little tied being he is "part of the family" now so it isn't like you can tell him to piss off and still be able to hunt there. It sounds like he doesn't have a clue on how to hunt or good practice. I get trying to not be a dick but the harsh reality is that he is screwing up both your hunts not just yours. He sounds like an alright guy and is trying to make friends, or it is just a cover to get you and your dad out of there. If I managed a piece of land and someone came in shooting fawns I would be a little upset whether they were family of the owner or not. 

I would get a little background info, how long has been hunting? Ever tired bow? Where is he from, did he hunt there? Just general chit chat kind of stuff probing the guy to see what his intentions are. I would tell him it is a small piece of property for 3 people to hunt and really need to coordinate your plans to have successful hunts on all your parts. Ask him if he is open to some advice especially if he mentions that he hasn't hunt long or hasn't been that successful. It sounds like he wants to be successful and you could use him to your advantage while having a deer or 2 walk in front of him to keep him from getting wise to you. Hopefully he doesn't visit the forum! haha. 

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

I mean we manage to hunt 4 sometimes 5 people on 40 acres, if done correctly you can be very successful. I will say that thickets and pines are your friend for breaking up scent and pushing deer to other people while still getting deer in front of the people you are using to push the deer.

• Like 1

If It doesn't work,out , I'm trying to get my wife to sell her 120 acres . $3,500 per or $420,000, but for you I'd take 400k, but myself and Biz would get lifetime hunting rights .

Offer expires at midnight tonight . 

• Like 1

These always make me laugh... I post knowing that certain people are or could be reading...knowing someone knows or will figure out who I am..happened this year with someone asking Mr B.....Wonder if any of these guys would read his post and figure it out...That could be a game changer...Lol

14 minutes ago, growalot said:

These always make me laugh... I post knowing that certain people are or could be reading...knowing someone knows or will figure out who I am..happened this year with someone asking Mr B.....Wonder if any of these guys would read his post and figure it out...That could be a game changer...Lol

trust me it crossed my mind. And honestly, everything I've typed has been accurate and I don't believe I insulted him at all. Maybe it would be good for him to read it and understand a little better. 

ive delt with this for lots of year loosing permission for a number of reasons from high lease cost to family of the owner stuff to land being sold  thats until i came across land i could afford and got my own ... things always change when u dont have full control of where ur hunting....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

turns out it's a little worse than thought. Dad pulled cams yesterday. I guess he hunted this past Saturday as well without a heads up. Only difference is that we didn't cross paths. "medium size doe" is what he claimed to have shot... turns out it was a fawn :(

IMG_0061.thumb.jpg.ba123c7587d2f0e98e8c76170abefef0.jpg

So 2 fawns? I don't think he knows his butt from a hole in the ground if claiming medium sized doe.

10 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

So 2 fawns? I don't think he knows his butt from a hole in the ground if claiming medium sized doe.

Or he's a newbie hunter, ecstatic about his fast success on his new hunting grounds, and isn't going anywhere else in the coming seasons except his new honey hole right there. Right next to those nice guys he met the day before Thanksgiving over on the next property.

Not trying to be a downer, but that's how I read it.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 3

So im lost, and why cant this guy shoot fawns??? They are meat, easy targets and if he has tags and is legal more power to him. Who on here has the right  to judge someone for shooting any size deer, as long as killed and tagged legally. Most of you need to get off your high horse.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

no just the 1. 

20 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Or he's a newbie hunter, ecstatic about his fast success on his new hunting grounds, and isn't going anywhere else in the coming seasons except his new honey hole right there. Right next to those nice guys he met the day before Thanksgiving over on the next property.

Not trying to be a downer, but that's how I read it.

i think you're spot on.

14 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

So im lost, and why cant this guy shoot fawns??? They are meat, easy targets and if he has tags and is legal more power to him. Who on here has the right  to judge someone for shooting any size deer, as long as killed and tagged legally. Most of you need to get off your high horse.

no high horse. just a small piece of property that has been relatively carefully managed for a long time. Kid shows up, doesn't tell anyone he's there and starts dropping fawns. You can see why that would annoy someone at least? If you don't at least understand why it would annoy another hunter, I have a feeling it's never happened to you, or you have a lot of good land.

13 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Not the point he is shooting fawns but he claimed one was a medium sized doe. Not sure if he is lying about it or truly doesn't have a clue. 

Anyone can judge anyone on what they shoot, its your choice whether to let it bother you. People can judge me on the deer I shoot and do it doesn't matter to me I take the deer I want to take. I'm not trying to shame anyone into doing anything they don't want but being that the OP manages the land then someone comes in taking fawns it isn't good management. That is what we are all talking about not judging the guy for shooting fawns. I have hunted 8F for 20 years and it isn't that hard to figure out what a medium and big sized doe are.

From all the posts you already realize it......the writing is on the wall for the ending of this story.
I think your Dad is the one who is really going to struggle wrapping his head around not being able to manage this land like he has for years.....this kid likes hunting and I can only guess....but he will at least add a crossbow to the arsenal next year.
If he starts running trail cams and gets a few big ones in there you might as well kiss it goodbye...he will them claim sole rights for himself and his buddies he wants to tag along with.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Not the point he is shooting fawns but he claimed one was a medium sized doe. Not sure if he is lying about it or truly doesn't have a clue. 

Anyone can judge anyone on what they shoot, its your choice whether to let it bother you. People can judge me on the deer I shoot and do it doesn't matter to me I take the deer I want to take. I'm not trying to shame anyone into doing anything they don't want but being that the OP manages the land then someone comes in taking fawns it isn't good management. That is what we are all talking about not judging the guy for shooting fawns. I have hunted 8F for 20 years and it isn't that hard to figure out what a medium and big sized doe are.

yeah the point is that he texted me he shot a medium sized doe. we pull the cams and it's fawn. Dont get me wrong, there are some absolute donkeys back there, bu I guess my dad has a pic of him doing the rambo pose in front of the camera too. Of course, no harm no foul, but clearly we're dealing with a special kind of human (new hunter or not).

10 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

From all the posts you already realize it......the writing is on the wall for the ending of this story.
I think your Dad is the one who is really going to struggle wrapping his head around not being able to manage this land like he has for years.....this kid likes hunting and I can only guess....but he will at least add a crossbow to the arsenal next year.
If he starts running trail cams and gets a few big ones in there you might as well kiss it goodbye...he will them claim sole rights for himself and his buddies he wants to tag along with.

yes and honestly this is something that i knew would be an issue someday. All neighbors and dad are in their 60's. I have 3 boys under 5 that are probably going to want to hunt someday. I knew that eventually I would need to buy hunting land. At some point the parents will downsize or father time will win his undefeated battle. It's just a bummer when it happens. I spent 4 months looking for a house with land on the east side of rochester. with a $350k budget i would have thought it wouldn't have been too hard. but it wasn't to be. I will be looking into the permission, leasing game with the plan to buy some land and build my retirement castle someday. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I get all the points but let's be real. You aren't "managing" 50 acres with everything he says is happening around him. 

• Like 1

If It doesn't work,out , I'm trying to get my wife to sell her 120 acres . $3,500 per or $420,000, but for you I'd take 400k, but myself and Biz would get lifetime hunting rights .
Offer expires at midnight tonight . 

Yea buddy, I’m in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I get all the points but let's be real. You aren't "managing" 50 acres with everything he says is happening around him. 

Very true, he mentioned the neighbors I was thinking it was more than 50 acres. If not then they were still being picky and trying to help the herd in the area. If he and the neighbors are on the same page then it is possble but 50 acres unless they are in the middle of a suburban development then they could be managing it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Very true, he mentioned the neighbors I was thinking it was more than 50 acres. If not then they were still being picky and trying to help the herd in the area. If he and the neighbors are on the same page then it is possble but 50 acres unless they are in the middle of a suburban development then they could be managing it.

be a good co-op opportunity. 

I have bounced around a few properties and been at other locations for years....with two young boys close was a major +, so for now that works for me but as they get older and either latch onto the passion of hunting or stray from it....that will hammer home if we keep leasing or buy.
I wish you all the luck, keep your head up and it will work out in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

no just the 1. 

i think you're spot on.

no high horse. just a small piece of property that has been relatively carefully managed for a long time. Kid shows up, doesn't tell anyone he's there and starts dropping fawns. You can see why that would annoy someone at least? If you don't at least understand why it would annoy another hunter, I have a feeling it's never happened to you, or you have a lot of good land.

Yes if i had strict mgt. Guidelines on MY property and fawns were off limits then yes that would piss me off. If its not your property or you dont have a lease with sole hunting rights then im afraid you have no justification to tell this family member of the owner what he can or can not kill. Based upon his killing of a fawn, doesnt look like hes into letting a legal deer walk. Either deal with it or move on. Maybe have a talk with him, at this point you everything to lose.