Canned Hunts

Iluvracks1359

I put in for these lottery deer hunts at a couple of fenced in government facilities. There's no difference hunting there than anywhere else other than the fact that if you shoot a record book deer,  I don't think you can get it recognized by P&Y and B&C because of the fence. They give you an area thats about a100 acres or so and a map, and off you go. Some of the deer Ive seen have been awesome. 
Where can I sign up for these? That wpuld be awesome!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Buckstopshere said:

Too rich for my blood. On the one and only hog hunt I went on…still hunting for the beasts with bows up a Tennessee mountain. My buddy dropped his bow, bent his sight. Bad shot on a big black Russian boar. I ran after it…up the hill and shot it with an arrow. It turned, squealing and ran after me. I never ran so fast down hill. I ran past my buddy and said, "Shoot him…he's right behind me." The pig was. But my buddy was laughing so hard…he couldn't shoot…said it was "the funniest thing he ever has seen."  I had to laugh…after a bit. 

Wish you had video of that :)

• Like 1

Belo...Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself properly..  The point that I wanted to make is that it may help a parent assess how their young "hunter" will react to handling a gun in the field, safety, and reaction to killing and dressing game.  I think that it should  be explained to the "child" what a preserve is and how it operates. Many people don't have access to , or knowledge of productive hunting land and I believe that exposure to a chosen preserve can be helpful in the assessment of the child's behavior in the field.

I think that bringing a child to hunt over bait would require the same explanation. I have nothing against hunting over bait where it's legal and that's what someone likes to do, but it's not like spot and stalk. I would explain that also.

I'm sure that many here disagree with my beliefs , and that's  o.k. with me,. I'm not trying to sell my opinion, just express it. I have a lot of thoughts about preserves, as well as other controversial hunting issues. I really enjoy discussing them , and have done so many times through the years,  but they are best expressed in person .

16 hours ago, left field said:

Why are invasive animals accorded less respect than game animals when it comes to shooting and killing? 

If I catch a bass where they are invasive and legally must be killed, I don't throw it against a tree or toss it on the bank to suffocate. I knock it with a priest it or knife it as I would a trout I'm keeping. 

Not sure I get with randomly shooting into a sounder of hogs in the hope that I'll wound a few. If this guy shot at a deer and missed four times before he connected somewhere, he'd be called out.   

why do we nurture and grow our lawns and kill dandelions? 

boar reproduce at alarming rates and destroy the land they have invaded. As far as respect, what we don't know about the helicopter hunts is if they go back and pick up the hogs. I had wild hog sausage down in MS where they have spread and it was pretty damn good. Most hog hunters eat the meat the same as they would deer. And ask a farmer how he treats deer lol. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

why do we nurture and grow our lawns and kill dandelions? 

boar reproduce at alarming rates and destroy the land they have invaded. As far as respect, what we don't know about the helicopter hunts is if they go back and pick up the hogs. I had wild hog sausage down in MS where they have spread and it was pretty damn good. Most hog hunters eat the meat the same as they would deer. And ask a farmer how he treats deer lol. 

They do. Theres a team on the ground that takes care of them.

On 12/15/2017 at 7:42 PM, Iluvracks1359 said:

So i saw this article about a guy who shot a 31 point buck somewhere in new York, I don't remember what it said, but the story read that the guy moved into the area and it was his first year hunting there or something and he kills this slammer. Any ways,. the story came back and it turns out he killed this deer on canned hunt, tall tine whitetails in Norwich new York. So, curious, I went to the website, and their prices are outrageous, but they GUARENTEE a shot at whatever class buck u want. I don't remember all the pricing but it was $2,000 for a 120-130 class buck and like 6300 for a 190+ class buck. Personally, I don't have the money to spend 65 hundo on a deer hunt. But the 2000 I could swing. Have any of you guys tried this? Is it worth it? Does it even feel like hunting? I mean if they GUARENTEE u a shot at the buck you want . . . clearly its not going to feel challenging like going out in your own woods and watching a deer for months or whatever. Anyways, opinions?

Pretty sure for 2k you could go out to Ohio or similar area and hunt stateland for a week and bag yourself a 120" deer. I have friends that hunt Ohio because "New York doesn't have any big bucks" and pass on 110"-120" deer out there. In my book it would be much more rewarding bagging one that I hunted vs paid for.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, Paula said:

Without thinking about others opinions, is a preserve hunt something you would want to do?

Honestly, IDK, that's why I asked. If its something like, yuou get in the stand and 5 minutes deer are running over you, like a video game, theres nothing fun to me about that, that's not hunting, its shooting. But say they tell you, well you have a 75% chance. . . I  think theres days wehre I hunt that I go out in the woods feeling I have a 75% chance, So in that case, I wouldn't mind it, especially bow hunting, because finding the deer is the first challenge, whacking them with the bow is the 2nd.

I consider it more akin to shopping for decorations in my house with the added benefit of it being far less boring plus it can also be delicious. It's a Win, Win, Win, in my book. But that said I don't think it is "true" hunting at the very root where you are chasing an animal over unlimited land and only the one with the greatest stamina will survive.

Also for example I want a Jacobs 4 horn for my wall. The only place I am going to get that would be at a preserve. So there are some things you can only get from a preserve, but again I would equate that more to shopping for decorations for my house/apartment.

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Also for example I want a Jacobs 4 horn for my wall. The only place I am going to get that would be at a preserve. So there are some things you can only get from a preserve, but again I would equate that more to shopping for decorations for my house/apartment.

My granddaughters and I were petting some of them the last time we went to the fun park near their home.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 7:46 AM, Iluvracks1359 said:

Honestly, IDK, that's why I asked. If its something like, yuou get in the stand and 5 minutes deer are running over you, like a video game, theres nothing fun to me about that, that's not hunting, its shooting. But say they tell you, well you have a 75% chance. . . I  think theres days wehre I hunt that I go out in the woods feeling I have a 75% chance, So in that case, I wouldn't mind it, especially bow hunting, because finding the deer is the first challenge, whacking them with the bow is the 2nd.

I don’t think it’s that easy