Deer calls

uberyan

This was the first season where I was able to be out in the woods throughout the majority.

Pre-rut, rut, post-rut etc.

I noticed I have never actually heard a deer vocalizing. No estrous bleats or territorial buck sounds.

Just curious how many here have actually heard a deer make sounds other than grunting if you bump them.

• Like 1

heard a Mom doe blat at some yearlings last season.  This year heard a nice 8 pt buck snort wheeze for the first time.  He was chasing a 4 point and all kinds of pissed off at him. And had two yearlings chasing each other , they went by my stand twice running and chasing and the one behind bleeted twice at the other.  Have heard deer grunting several times throughout the years. 

my 8 pt i shot a few years ago i was sitting  my rock looking up to the deer run coming off the ridge and i heard him grunt and i says to myself wow nobodys suppost to be up there i mean it sounded so fake. he came running down the deer run and i nailed him but i thought it was somebody with a grunt call. this year im in the tree stand bow hunting and a buck comes out of the hay bales in to the field 83 yds i bleated and he didnt even lift his head i just wish i took a photo thats about all i could do. i guess it might work . i'll tell you though sometimes i give the deer i see when not hunting a wheeze and man does that get their attention.

I have heard, grunts, soft bleats from doe to fawn, roar, and loud MAAA (Blat) from a dominant doe, the usually alarm snort, startled snort.  They are not very vocal unless stressed, frustrated, scared, rut time or separation from fawn.  Some of the times they are more vocal is during the rut and spring time after fawns are born and then again during pre-rut they get vocal again.  In general they do not "talk" often.  

Simply put if you are around them enough you will hear them, one advantage I have noticed about stand hunting and passing deer is you gain a bounty of knowledge on how they behave and react to deer calls either from hunters or other deer. 

I have had the same thing happen as Tommyc50 above but it was a doe.  I heard this loud MAAAA call and said dam it another hunter is right over in that area, 5 seconds later the dominant doe came out, she was trying to intimidate 2 other doe in the area it seemed. 

I have never heard any grunts or bleats - have been blown at a bunch with bad wind.

My question is what’s your calling cadence? Do you mix grunts and bleats? Long? Short? How long does your sequence last? Do you “blind call?” I’ve had minimal success with any and all of the above- probably call too much out of frustration or boredom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I have never heard any grunts or bleats - have been blown at a bunch with bad wind.

My question is what’s your calling cadence? Do you mix grunts and bleats? Long? Short? How long does your sequence last? Do you “blind call?” I’ve had minimal success with any and all of the above- probably call too much out of frustration or boredom

I still hunt so I only do blind calling when I'm taking a rest or when I get very bored and frustrated from not seeing any deer signs for an extended period. 

Granted it wasn't done very often but I've never had any deer pop out from calling so I was just curious. Almost wondered if the deer hear calls and automatically think "oh there's some idiot hunter out there trying to get me out in the open". 

But I guess people have had experience with them making noises after all. 

8 hours ago, crappyice said:

i have grunted a few bucks i have seen back to me.  Otherwise i dont call at all. Except this year tried some rattling and grunting in a sequence and called in a 7 point that was tearing up a tree all ticked off and got an 8 point that was chasing a 4 point to come in at 50 but no shot for bow.  First time I ever rattled any in 

Rattling and grunting passing bucks who are out of range to get them closer. - I too have done that. Often with a bow though they come in SUPER leery and hang up in thick stuff over looking the area where the bucks should be. I am not saying it doesn’t happen but I can’t seem to get them to “come in on a string” as some describe