Bucket List Hunting grounds

sailinghudson25

Anyone got an itch for a certain place. 

Maybe a must hunt place a hard core ADK hunter should try atleast once?

I want to check with Harris LAke campground if they're open for early muzzleloader.   Newcomb is on my list.   Also, Big Moose River plains with the NYSMLA camping week up there.

Edited by sailinghudson25

have fished Moose river plains a few times, but never hunted it.  Lots of land for sure and lots of trails.  Off trails a lot of it is way thick brush and hard to hunt.  

20 years ago was up there with my cocker spaniel and walked into a pond to just check it out and throw a few casts abotu 2.5 miles in.  I was sitting there fishing and had a bite and i look and the dog is gone.  He never leaves my side.  In a panic looking for him cant see him anywhere.  I start yeliing his name!  "Shooter!!" "Shooter!"  over and over.  I am back up on the main trail and see him tear assing coming towards me from the trail.  Was so relieved!!!!! to about tears he was my buddy - had that dog for 18 years

walked back out into truck and thought about what just happened and had to laugh cause I rrealized i was glad there wasnt a game warden around as I am yelling through the woods- "Shooter" ( Shoot her?) yeah not so good. lol

• 3 months later...

Kind of late to this round up , but...

Galloo Island in Lake Ontario is known for having massive bucks. At one time they offered hunts there. I would love to check it out.

I would love to spend a couple weeks back in Lows Lake (ADKs). I spent a lot of time in scout camp in the area, and have had several canoe trips since. True wilderness setting hunting for deer/ bear, grouse, fishing.

if we're talking dacks then there's lots of water sources and little roads between elk lake and boreas ponds or ausable lakes (west of Dix range).  some areas of the adirondacks just don't have deer. i want to keep my odds decent at least by not hunting something that just isn't there.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Not sure why this would be limited to the ADK's, but it is what it is. As for a bucket list.....

There are some public lands near my finances grams camp I would love to hunt near Malone NY. I would love to go do a deer hunt or Spring turkey hunt around the Camp Driftwood area in the Indian Lake area. If My health was better, I would love to do a hike in DIY hunt in the Benson area ( or any area to be honest ).

Bucket lists are dreams we have to hunt areas. If you live in NYS, and want to hunt an area in NYS, the only thing keeping you from doing it would be money problems or health issues.

As for no deer in the ADK's in some areas? They are there. Even in the off beat areas. You just have to work for them. 

5 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

if we're talking dacks then there's lots of water sources and little roads between elk lake and boreas ponds or ausable lakes (west of Dix range).  some areas of the adirondacks just don't have deer. i want to keep my odds decent at least by not hunting something that just isn't there.

You sure don't cut very many tracks in that area.

I think everyone's bucket list should include an Adirondack Whitetail hunt.  The time of year is a toss-up.  Peak fall-foliage is awesome and usually hits around the start of ML season in early October.  It is tough to beat the first good snow, and that has the added bonus of making the hunting easier (the deer show up better and you can see and follow their tracks).  That usually occurs around Thanksgiving. I have killed a total of four deer up there, two in each of those conditions, and that makes it impossible for me to pick my favorite.  There are no words that can describe how much the stunning scenery adds to the experience.  It is something you have to try yourself. 

Experiencing some success up there has caused hunting in other places, of lesser natural beauty, to loose some of its luster.   There may be more deer in the flatlands of Western NY, but  sometimes I find myself thinking of being up in the mountains when I hunt around here.  Even the thought of another Rocky mountain mule deer hunt is unappealing to me now.  The Adirondacks are prettier (unless you are into high-desert scenery) and the whitetails are a lot tastier.  

Speaking of taste,  as long as the Adirondack deer are taken from the edges, near some ag country or oak forests, they taste just as good as the ones from around home in WNY.  We just started eating the grind from an Adirondack buck this week, after finishing up the last from one from WNY last week.   The taste is virtually identical. Probably no coincidence considering each had a belly full of corn.                     

Haha... people or deer? Shouldn't see any tracks or hear any motors in the wilderness classified portion of boreas ponds. Deer around unless you get too far up into the mountain ranges. Just stay down by the water. It'd be a hell a trip.

You sure don't cut very many tracks in that area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'd need waayyy more than a week. Take a couple days to get settled in.

I have never hunted deep in the Adirondacks , would love to camp and hunt for a week . And by camp I don't mean cabin .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

last time I hunted the Dacks for deer, we would head out to hunt every morn and there were deer all around our camp eating the grass etc and then saw one deer the whole trip while in the woods. Had a good time but its hard to decide to go hunting somewhere that there are less deer. I have done a few combo trips up north with fishing and hunting and usually end up fishing most of the day and just hunt the mornings, then fish til dark.  That way none of us were out in the big woods at dark and have to get back in.  Plus the fishing was always better.  A definite accomplishment if you can get it done though.