Good day of crow hunting

I think the "sentry" thing is an old wives tale....I always shot at any crow that came over in range and my partners and I had a few 50 +  days  back when I was hunting them...
I second that. If the sentry comes close enough,he's getting shot. Along with any other dirty bird that comes close enough !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Have I tried it, no. Just deleted a few paragraphs to keep from derailing this thread. You have no crow game, it's ok. They are a tough bird to "hunt". Sounds like you just like it easy. Might as well get a feeder for deer.

Side question.... Can you see your corn field from your house ?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Kinda goes along with having no "Mature" deer game i would bet.

• 2 weeks later...

Good shoot this morning. 24 killed. If I could have been able to get into the hedgerow to hide it would have been a great shoot. The snow was just too deep. I had to try to hide behind a berm but most of the birds busted me. Nice low fliers in the wind too. Tomorrow is another day!!!!

• Like 5

Well my big plan Last Sunday was actually quite funny.  I have been hunting a particular farm with success this winter but the walk has been brutal with the snow. Hunting around the silage bunkers has been good but hard to hide. So when I left last hunt I saw a small 3 sided concrete bunker of sort on the opposite side from where I have been hunting. BINGO. Built in ground blind on tve side the crows come from.  So bright and early I head out. Get to the bunker and it’s perfect. 5 feet tall. 4 feet wide. I set the decoy spread. Hide the foxpro and ebter the blind.  Im getting settled...swining around to make sure I can shoot. Sm happy as a clamb..and Kasplash!!! I break through ice and up comes bubbling the most disgusting sludge in the world.  I was stsnding in the damned bunker drainage catch basin  

luckily I got out when it was just above my ankles but still got the pants.  It was worse thsn liquid manure.  I did hide behind it for a while snd killed a dozen bf the smell made me pack it in. The drive home in my “new” Avalanche was fun. Windows down in 18 degree weather in my undies. God love my wife.  She had the wash machine empty and waiting.  

I thought I was smart...

If I could have seen my own face when I broke through...it had to be priceless. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nice shooting!!

Went out yesterday to a spot I haven’t hunted in a month. It was slow. Birds are all dried up. Killed 5. Do you still have a lot of flight birds?

I will try to get out Saturday for the season finale for me. Gearing up for pigeons now. I just ordered 2 dozen soar no more pigeons...2 mojo pigeons...and a pack of flock flickers. Got permission to shoot 6 big dairys. Should keep me busy for a couple months. 

• Like 1

Nice shooting!!

Went out yesterday to a spot I haven’t hunted in a month. It was slow. Birds are all dried up. Killed 5. Do you still have a lot of flight birds?

I will try to get out Saturday for the season finale for me. Gearing up for pigeons now. I just ordered 2 dozen soar no more pigeons...2 mojo pigeons...and a pack of flock flickers. Got permission to shoot 6 big dairys. Should keep me busy for a couple months. 

Is there any regulations on pigeons. I have shot them before but never got to serious about it.

I’m spoiled in the amount of crows I have available in that I’m hunting the edge of a landfill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Rock doves, aka feral pigeons or barn pigeons are unprotected, shoot as many as you want anytime, as long as other hunting regs ( shooting too close to buildings with out permission, etc) are adhered to...

They  are challenging targets , more so than crows, and they are darned good to EAT too...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Is there any regulations on pigeons. I have shot them before but never got to serious about it.

I’m spoiled in the amount of crows I have available in that I’m hunting the edge of a landfill.

don't hit the barn on the farm that's it. they'd crap all over gear and equipment and in the last hay crop we were trying to sell. toss a rock into the wall of the barn they fly out and you shoot them. go do some chores and then repeat. when they wised up, we stood at the back entrance while someone else flushed them from clear on the other end. honestly though a good air rifle works much better picking them off the peak outside.

30 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Rock doves, aka feral pigeons or barn pigeons are unprotected, shoot as many as you want anytime, as long as other hunting regs ( shooting too close to buildings with out permission, etc) are adhered to...

They  are challenging targets , more so than crows, and they are darned good to EAT too...

EAT.... we'd watch them pick through cow mature most of the time so no eating here. if i'd have known we would've sent them to ya.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

EAT.... we'd watch them pick through cow mature most of the time so no eating here. if i'd have known we would've sent them to ya.

Yeah, but so do turkeys, pheasants and chickens..At least the pigeons are picking out the corn rather than eating carrion,  as crows often do ...

5 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Yeah, but so do turkeys, pheasants and chickens..At least the pigeons are picking out the corn rather than eating carrion,  as crows often do ...

yup i'd eat a pigeon long before a crow or yote. always just looked at them like a pest more than game i guess. same with chucks. people eat chucks too... so i hear.

2 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I have eaten a few woodchucks...Actually, the half grown young of the year are similar to  squirrel or rabbit..The adults tend to be stronger tasting and grisly, and are better left for the buzzards ,  IMHO......

in chuck hunting world we call those half grown ones sentries. you see a lot of them after june gets here. sometimes if you let them dance around all ignorant like the real culprit comes out to show itself. not to sound heartless.

• Like 1

Anyone going out for yhe last hurrah tomorrow?  I hope to sneak one last morning in before starting  on pigeons. Just got first dozen of Soar no More pigeon dekes in. Other dozen on the way. Mojos should be here Tuesday.  I cant wait for that!!!

I plan on going tomm. Can only hunt til 12 tho...
Hoping to have a good last day!

• Like 1