Good day of crow hunting

Got 12 all together, only 10 pictured. Haven't been out much this year but there were a ton flying. If I could have hit 1/4 of the ones I missed the number would have been better than doubled! Oh well fun day and shells are cheap.

I should have taken a picture of the inside of the blind with the amount of shells on the ground!

10c872e29988e62e9c710258c88a09cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

That's a solid pile !! Good work !! If you want to kill more crows, play with ammo and chokes and pattern them at 20-50. I have a sweet setup that kills clays but is lousy at killing crows. Also, as bad as this sounds... The more expensive ammo does a much better job. Yes you pay twice as much but you shoot half the shells....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's a solid pile !! Good work !! If you want to kill more crows, play with ammo and chokes and pattern them at 20-50. I have a sweet setup that kills clays but is lousy at killing crows. Also, as bad as this sounds... The more expensive ammo does a much better job. Yes you pay twice as much but you shoot half the shells....

I spent a bunch of time this fall patterning the new Benelli, I have a really good setup on paper. This is definitely a case of it being the Indian and not the bow.

I spent a bunch of time this fall patterning the new Benelli, I have a really good setup on paper. This is definitely a case of it being the Indian and not the bow.

That does happen ! I'm as guilty as the next guy.... So, my only OTHER advice is to keep you magazine full !!!

• Like 1

Unless you are pass shooting crows at extreme range, a tight choke is a handicap...My .most deadly crow gun is a 2 3/4"  12 gauge with improved cylinder choke and  low brass  # 7  1/2, 8 or 9 shot...I have killed literally hundreds of crows with it...They are a smaller target than they look and the small shot  keeps them from flying through the pattern..It doesn't take much to kill a crow at normal " called in" ranges, and the wider pattern  of the open choke makes them easier to hit..

• Like 2

Unless you are pass shooting crows at extreme range, a tight choke is a handicap...My .most deadly crow gun is a 2 3/4"  12 gauge with improved cylinder choke and  low brass  # 7  1/2, 8 or 9 shot...I have killed literally hundreds of crows with it...They are a smaller target than they look and the small shot  keeps them from flying through the pattern..It doesn't take much to kill a crow at normal " called in" ranges, and the wider pattern  of the open choke makes them easier to hit..

The choke and combo I settled on is a light modified with 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 shot at 1250fps. It's about as even if a pattern I've ever seen. I just can't shoot flying critters. If the bastards would land and just run I would have no problem!

• Like 2

i've never specifically hunted crows but they seem smart.  any of them i took where when younger.  i remember i had a 20ga with run of the mill 3" 7.5 shells. i had a crow fly over me. i dropped it so i thought.  it fell, hit the ground with a thud right in front of me, and then just as fast took off flying feet over my head.  started using a 12ga after that with a full choke or heavier shot.  we'd even pop them with 22LR rifles so long as they almost on the ground. it was just another critter that was fair game to us kids out in the woods to be just out in the woods.  i might have to get someone else and give it a go before spring.

• Like 1

Going to hit a new area in the morning. Large dairy farm being bombarded by feeding crows in the morning. Clouds of pigeons flying around while scouting it this afternoon. Farmer wants every bird dead as they have been raising heck with his feed. Looking for my first 50 crow day.  We shall see.