Freehand rifle groups

Buckmaster7600

On 2/12/2018 at 3:29 PM, Doc said:

I believe that I may hold the record for being the crappiest off-hand shooter around. It's the same as a moving target except it is my crosshairs that are moving and bouncing around. Just a wiggly old fart. I doubt there is any amount of practice that will settle down that sight. That is why if I can't find a good gun rest or at least a tree to lean against, I don't shoot. Its that bad. My deer stands for gun season are all designed the same. Kind of like log and branch walls with gun rests all the way around. When still hunting, I have a Primos bi-pod that goes with me.

This ^^^. I can't hit a bull in the azz with a handful of rice! 

16 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Been practicing offhand at 20yds with the pellet gun in my basement.  I can actually see the groups shrinking the more I shoot.  Finding what works for me.  Plus, its a break from shooting the bow everyday. Hopefully it pays off.

There ya go moog!!!

Just like most things, the more you practice something, the better you become at it! Over the years my "basement range" has seen thousands of pellet and BB rounds fired with my two grandsons, in mock competition. And almost as many 22 cal. rounds as they got older. Most all shots were taken freehand, standing, or as we hunt, sitting on a milk crate. Zac, who caught the hunting and shooting bug, from his grampy, is a VERY good shot, at soon to be 14! I'm certain that all those pellets, BB's, and 22's, helped us both become better freehand shooters. 

• Like 3

On 2/12/2018 at 8:45 PM, moog5050 said:

One thing I have noticed practicing with the pellet gun is that the faster I can get on target and execute the shot, the more accurate I am.  I almost like slowly moving from off target to the bull and holding very briefly and then shooting.  If I try to stay on the bull too long the bouncing gets bad.  Still practicing though.  I also seem better with a medium vs firm hold.  

Same happens for me with the bow. When out at 50 yards the bull is small and holding it longer seems to throw my shot off more than a quicker shot. Also if I had been practicing a while and starting to get tired.

20 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Been practicing offhand at 20yds with the pellet gun in my basement.  I can actually see the groups shrinking the more I shoot.  Finding what works for me.  Plus, its a break from shooting the bow everyday. Hopefully it pays off.

Wow that's a nice sized basement, I can only get about 10 yards in my basement

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, grampy said:

It really is timing and trigger control. For me, it's getting the counter clockwise circles as small as possible, then squeezing, not jerking the trigger, at just the right time.

Yes, my shooting off a rest has improve 2000% when I finally mastered the "surprise" triggering with a slow measured increase in trigger pressure until it all-of-a-sudden goes off. And that is the problem with off-hand shooting. The sight is constantly in motion in random patterns such that I start to try to time the shot and take a wild stab at the trigger when I "think the crosshairs will be over the target. That is just pure disaster and almost never works. The other thing is that the longer that I am aiming, the wilder the sight motion becomes. So it gets to be a jerk-the-trigger style of timing activity or the movement gets continually worse and worse.

But I am thinking of getting some kind of pellet gun so I can practice in the basement and maybe find something that works for me.

• Like 1

Spent sometime most everyday learning offhand shooting last summer, couple bricks 22 on 2" steel targets and centerfire on clays or paper.

Never much on it skill wise but needed practice for a hunting trip.( practice paid off too!) 

Now its a favorite to shoot; mostly 22LR/270win/375hh

• Like 1

A little freehand today.  12 g and 30/30 at 100 yards. Both with 4x scopes.  Shot okay.  Full disclosure....the two 30/30 shots touching are from a rest.  Had to be sure it was on first.  The 12 just blazed away lol.  

Then shot the bow just cause I wanted to .  20 yards.  That felt good, haven't shot since season.  

rps20180217_135054.jpg

rps20180217_135028.jpg

• Like 1