Hunting lease cost

ncountry

The local farm that  I have hunted for close to 35 years is sold. What is everybody paying for a hunting lease?

I am checking out some local farm lands that may be available for lease.. Have you seen prices adjusted based on the amount of fields vs. woods? One chunk has roughly 200 acres of fields and only 20 acres of woods. I cannot see paying full price for all the fields.. 

There are just so many factors there. Location being a huge one. Generally upstate have seen a lot of 14-17 an acre and you would pay for all of it.  I have a sweet deal for a lease but I also knew the guy before and I have to share with a duck hunter.  Downstate and prob western NY the price is much higher. 

Best way is to approach someone that doesn't have the land posted for leasing and make an offer.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Free ! Sometimes it's as simple as asking

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Been there. Tried that.. ha ha. On these specific properties .

I will definitely knock on some doors if I cannot come to an arrangement on one of these properties. . . I am really liking them because  of the proximity to my home. Less than 2 miles... 

I have lost most of the free hunting over the years to those who were willing to pay... The small farms are disappearing and it is harder to seal a deal with a favor and a handshake..

And a lot of times if they are willing to give permission for nothing there are already 5 other guys there.  

But sometimes if you ask and let them know your a neighbor and are even willing to help pay some money towards their taxes it helps ypur case.  Def best to start asking local first and go from there.  And a lot of people are more open to bow hunting than gun hunting.  

Good luck. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I have been on two different leases so far, both landowners, not brokers.  Our fee on each one is what the taxes are.  Both are in WNY, town of Yorkshire and town of Mansfield.

When I started with basecamp the leases were the taxes plus the insurance. Theyve since gone up quite a bit. And they dont account for fields vs hunt-able woods so make sure you walk it. We had one in Hinsdale that was 170 acres but 100 was steep hillside. They kept raising the cost every year until we finally gave it up. A house went up on one border as well so if at any time the homeowner decided we couldnt shoot within 500' wed have lost another chunk of huntable land

On 2/25/2018 at 12:11 PM, ncountry said:

The local farm that  I have hunted for close to 35 years is sold. What is everybody paying for a hunting lease?

I am checking out some local farm lands that may be available for lease.. Have you seen prices adjusted based on the amount of fields vs. woods? One chunk has roughly 200 acres of fields and only 20 acres of woods. I cannot see paying full price for all the fields.. 

Are you looking for just deer season? all hunting seasons? All year access? 

Sounds like prices are all over the board... I am hoping  for the  $6-10/acre price range..20-25$/acre is a little steep for my blood... 

Only one way to find out I guess  ..  I didn't want to insult the owner with an unreasonable offer..  I think I will start  at taxes and go from there..

4 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Sounds like prices are all over the board... I am hoping  for the  $6-10/acre price range..20-25$/acre is a little steep for my blood... 

Only one way to find out I guess  ..  I didn't want to insult the owner with an unreasonable offer..  I think I will start  at taxes and go from there..

find out what the taxes are first...LOL

• Like 2

Just got this email...here is reference point for price vs. acres.

CHEMUNG COUNTY -

56 acres; Langford Creek Rd.; Town of Van Etten, NY - $925.00/Yr. Group Rate. This property is 100% steeper woodedhillside with a few logging trails. WMU 7R; CHE-014.

155 acres; Johnson Hollow Rd; Town of Catlin, (Pine Valley) NY - $2, 400.00/Yr. Group Rate. This property is about 95% wooded hillside with some trails. Has access from top of hill from a different road (Dunn Rd.) offering easy access to the acreage along the top of the hill. WMU 8W; CHE-003.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nyantler said:

That sounds a little high to me, but I guess whatever you are comfortable paying is a fair price.

The thing is it borders my brother in laws property. We hunted it years ago all the time until they started leasing then lost it. It is a great piece of property surrounded by Ag field. Shot some really nice deer there, so its worth it. 

• Like 3