Hand Held Release

QB1

Was looking into changing my release for the upcoming year.  Couple of reasons...

A.) My current release is pretty much the same as the picture attached...has worked great came with the my old bow when I bought it used.  My thinking is from all the summer shooting and sweat on my palms it has a good smell to it, now I can't really notice a stink but I am sure an old buck can. 

B.) I really am liking the hand held release, can clip to my bow have both hands free while in the tree stand.  Good reviews, no cloth material to harbor human odor.

I was looking at a Tru Fire Edge 4 (Second Attachment)

Now I can save them money and have the peace of mind by washing my current Release..I can't remove the actual release so I would have to put the entire thing in the wash, any chance of damage to the release (rust I guess is my biggest concern)?...I figured I would throw it in with my other hunting clothes to minimize the banging on the washer/dryer walls

Does anyone shoot a hand held?  What model, pros/cons, etc?

Thanks.

post-186-131455444135_thumb.jpg

post-186-13145544414_thumb.jpg

I prefer a wrist strap style after having dropped the hand held at the worst times... its a personal preferance. I would hand wash your strap, do this by dipping as much of the material into a solution of soap and water then scrubbing it with a brush while lying it on a board. then repeating as nessary until the scrubbing water coming out of it is clean. When done i rub in some baking soda and let dry.

All solid ideas...with the hand held no one tried to just clip it on the bow rather then hold it in your hand?  I think I will just hand wash my current release, scrub her good and keep in bag with waffers.  Thanks for the input.

you could clip it on the bow and then while looking at the deer trying to pick it back up as it now facing the wrong way on the string or twisted in the string loop, you inadvertantly hit the trigger and .... i went back to a wrist style that fold out of the way both hands are free and its ready at a moments notice. In my opinion hand held good for 3d not hunting had way to many problems especially if deer was coming in quick. Plus if you shooting a heavy pull,or in cold weather the wrist strap puts some of the weight on your wrist not your ice cold hand.

I use to use the free flight....hated that it was always in my palm. I went with a wrist strap rather than a hand held just because I didn't want to drop it. Pluss I felt more steady holding the weight of the bow with my arm rather than my fingers.

FYI you can buy a replacement glove for the free flights. I use to use one for target practice and leagues but switched it during hunting season. Simple screw and it is done. This keeps the "feel" of the release mechanism the same for you.

.... i went back to a wrist style that fold out of the way both hands are free and its ready at a moments notice. In my opinion hand held good for 3d not hunting had way to many problems especially if deer was coming in quick. Plus if you shooting a heavy pull,or in cold weather the wrist strap puts some of the weight on your wrist not your ice cold hand.

I second that, I use a fold back model and love it.

I've used them for the last 7 years.

When I bought my bow with a loop notch, I got the same but different style release.

Typically spray mine down pretty good just before bow season with scent eliminator.

Being retired, 60-70# draw weights are beyond my capabilities.

Can gain ~5-8# of draw weight by using this style of release, thus I shoot at almost 60#s.

Only complaint I have about that style is it makes handling things difficult.

Kinda lose the use of your shooting hand, at least grasping objects.

Which probably is ok if your simply sitting in a tree.

This year I bought a back-up release, same style/brand which I may use solely for hunting.

You'd really be out of commision if your primary one failed and you didn't have a spare.

They aren't sold at every bow shop or hunting store.