whats your favorite wild game?

4 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

The bearded ones are rare these days. Most of them fell out of favor by the late 80's. Or so I'm told. :rolleyes:

True, Jerry, but sad....I much prefer them fully feathered....Not that it really matters to me anymore....<<sigh>>.....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I killed 13 caribou and  they are buy far my favorite big game, but they have all been fat pre-rut animals taken in late August or early September..  I have heard that rutting caribou are inedible..Even dogs won't eat it..

Moose , to me, is bland....Tastes like whatever you cook it with...

You heard correctly sir; caribou is great, but a rutty bull tastes like old mutton, probably worse.

I have never had eland or any of the African game that I hear is so good, but my favorites in order (so far):

Any FRESH fish, outside of trout, bluefish, and mackerel

Bison and Axis deer

Moose

Caribou & elk

Wild hog

Alligator

Wild turkey

Rabbit, squirrel, groundhog

Pheasant, grouse

Black Bear

Whitetail

Antelope & mule deer

Wild duck and goose

I fish mostly for crappie, walleye, and pike so I would say those are my favorite fish to eat.

I did alot of trout fishing growing up but never liked the way it taste, so now only catch and release in the spring. Bullhead are alright early spring, but mushy come summertime.

I hunt for whitetail cause I really enjoy all the different ways to cook it.

As a kid did alot of squirrel, rabbit, grouse, and turkey hunting. Never really cared for wild turkey so don't hunt them anymore. Gave up on other small game too cause always seem to find a bb with my teeth. 

On 3/10/2018 at 8:21 AM, Just Lucky said:

As a kid did alot of squirrel, rabbit, grouse, and turkey hunting. Never really cared for wild turkey so don't hunt them anymore. Gave up on other small game too cause always seem to find a bb with my teeth. 

Hunt your squirrels with a .22 and that problem is gone.  And its a lot of fun that way.  

2 minutes ago, Buckskin Dave said:

Huh, I would not have thought moose would be like that.    I'd still like to try it. 

Don't get me wrong, Dave, moose is good....I just don't think it is as flavorful as some other venisons...It is mild..To me it is the closest to beef of any game meat I have eaten, which I believe is one reason why it is pretty much universally well liked..

7 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Don't get me wrong, Dave, moose is good....I just don't think it is as flavorful as some other venisons...It is mild..To me it is the closest to beef of any game meat I have eaten, which I believe is one reason why it is pretty much universally well liked..

Okay, now I see what you mean. Ive heard others describe it as being close to beef.