rifle question

tommyc50

hi everyone i have a question a friend of mine is selling a  browning blr in 30-06 i respect you guys opinion. So what do you guys think about the gun and it has a bausch and lomb scope and what do you guys think about the scope too.I own a marlin 30-30  so i want to get a more distance i hunt in fields now and  not in the woods so i want to know if still being a lever action would i still be able to shoot as far as with a bolt action .Thank you  

11 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

hi everyone i have a question a friend of mine is selling a  browning blr in 30-06 i respect you guys opinion. So what do you guys think about the gun and it has a bausch and lomb scope and what do you guys think about the scope too.I own a marlin 30-30  so i want to get a more distance i hunt in fields now and  not in the woods so i want to know if still being a lever action would i still be able to shoot as far as with a bolt action .Thank you  

That 30-06 should have a much longer effective range. Don’t know much about the blr though. 

BLR’s are fine guns, triggers can be a bit gritty and it’s hard to find a gun Smith to touch one so what it has is what it’s gonna be but other than that they’re just fine. I have 3 of them and they all average 1.5”-2” groups at 100yds plenty good to kill deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

BLR’s are fine guns, triggers can be a bit gritty and it’s hard to find a gun Smith to touch one so what it has is what it’s gonna be but other than that they’re just fine. I have 3 of them and they all average 1.5”-2” groups at 100yds plenty good to kill deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.  Bought that exact gun last fall the BLR 30-06.  Plenty accurate and a nice gun. The trigger is def not the best . It is pretty heavy.  If I could change anything it would be that. Unless your a fan of the lever action can get the same and better accuracy in a $500 bolt action though with a better trigger. But if you want a definite lever action, having the magazine is a big plus and also a 30-06 caliber, cause it covers everything and lots of ammo options.  

• Like 2

30-30's are good for shots out to 150 if you know what your doing, but an 06 can push your range to 200 or even up to 400 if you know what you're doing. A good bolt action will generally have better accuracy than a lever action or semi auto based on the tolerances on the guns. 

The two things I like about the BLR as opposed to your marlin is the magazine and the fact that the trigger travels with the lever. That minimizes the possibility of trigger finger in the heat of the moment. The magazine give you the option to use "pointed' style bullets since they aren't in line in the magazine tube. Good gun but as others said not even a good trigger in my experience. I didn't see where you said  how much he was selling it for. If it is a deal you can't refuse, then don't. But if he is north of $500 I'd spend the money elsewhere and pick up a bolt gun and pick your own glass. 

Personally never shot one handled a couple but didn't think they were anything special. Depending on what he is asking for it ($300 without glass $350 with glass) it wouldn't be bad. The glass is a low end bushnell so it isn't really worth a lot used maybe $40 or $50. The rifle middle of the road I would put it somewhere around the ruger american, lower end savage. 

Edited by chas0218

thank you guys yeah he's asking$750 with the bausch and lomb scope. I'm really leaning towards a bolt action though especially with that price.I love my 30-30 i shoot leverlution 160 gr ammo its amazing i get 3shot groups the size of a quarter@ 100 yrds so 150 yrds im very confident doing. With 170 gr Remington corelok im very lucky to get 11/2'' so i never go beyond that with that ammo.Plus with the 30-06 you get more of a selection in grains of bullet weight .My dad always used 180 gr but from what he told me it goes from 150-220 grs for deer

The B&L scope is good glass and the BLR is a quality rifle..

However, for that price you can buy  a very accurate bolt action rifle with a good trigger ( Ruger, Savage, etc)  and a decent scope  and have enough $$ left over for some ammo..  The 30-06 will essentially double the effective range of your 30-30 and you have a multitude of factory loads to choose from.... Good luck, Tommy.....

• Like 4