Natalie started on the compound journey

moog5050

Day 2.  Finally convinced her to give it a shot.  She prefers the recurve but likely because that’s what she sees me shooting constantly.  Rather see her start hunting with the compound vs recurve to take some pressure off. 

She did good and already sees that it’s easier to hit the mark.  Good shot at 15yds.  Made a quarter size bullseye. Aim small miss small.  She was generally grouping about 6-8” which ain’t bad for Day 2 at 15.  Gotta find light arrows for a 20lb draw.   Look forward to see where she is in a month. Any suggestions for a small release?

50712689-F9F3-45D8-9A2C-E29234946553.png

• Like 16

Awesome Moog you’re going to enjoy coaching your girl. I love shooting with mine even though she can show me up from 20 yards in. As far as a release goes my daughter uses a Scott. Not sure what one I’ll have to look it up but it’s small and her anchor point lines up perfectly with it.

Enjoy the ride !!!!

• Like 1

I tuned up the GF daughters bow last weekend cause she wants to get out and shoot.  She uses the Trufire youth release and it seems to work out . 

Awesome to get her into the sport.  There are more and more gals into the shooting and hunting sports.  A guy at work does a youth league rifle class every week and he loves it.  There is a gal there that they think is gonna be a professional.  She already has a sponsor.  

• Like 2

If your not dead set on carbon, Easton has their xx75 jazz line I believe they go down to 1214’s or something like that. As for a  release a Carter quickie ( my whole family shoots carter quickie-1plus they are a exceptional caliper release ) has infinit adjustability and has a excelent trigger. You’d be better of buying her a high quality release that doesn’t load up or have excessive travel.                                               

I went through a bunch of  sub par kids releases with my two boys when they were just starting and I could have bought them a quality release with all the money I spent  and been done with it.. 

Also tell her two thumbs up for the bunny slipper’s  ......

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

Way to go Natalie! Tell her a BIG thumbs up from grampy!!! That is awesome for the 2nd time at 15! 

Can see she's a chip off the ol' block. And she is lucky to have such a great coach!

By fall, she may be out shooting the coach!

She's already out shooting me!

Great stuff here. Doesn't get much better than this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

If your not dead set on carbon, Easton has their xx75 jazz line I believe they go down to 1214’s or something like that. As for a  release a Carter quickie ( my whole family shoots carter quickie 2’s they are a exceptional caliper release ) has infinit adjustability and has a excelent trigger. You’d be better of buying her a high quality release that doesn’t load up or have excessive travel.                                               

I went through a bunch of  sub par kids releases with my two boys when they were just starting and I could have bought them a quality release with all the money I spent  and been done with it.. 

Also tell her two thumbs up for the bunny slipper’s  ......

I actually found 5 jazz that someone gave me for her that are like 1000’ or 1100 spine.  Flew great from her 20lb compound.   One pin keeps her reasonably close out to 20.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will check out the Carter. This release is way too big. She had to reach for the trigger. 

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I actually found 5 jazz that someone gave me for her that are like 1000’ or 1100 spine.  Flew great from her 20lb compound.   One pin keeps her reasonably close out to 20.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I will check out the Carter. This release is way too big. She had to reach for the trigger. 

The carters use  a strap looped through the head with a buckle, i like to shoot my caliper with back tension so that’s one of the things I love about them you can really micro adjust your trigger pull  length. 

Edited by rob-c

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My daughter has a pink Scott youth release

Thanks Tacks.  I was a bit impatient and ordered a release last night and it happened to be a purple scott youth release.  Matches the Jazz arrows.  lol

• Like 1

hope it serves her well. my thoughts are youth releases with an adjustable post still don't go short enough. the ones with the nylon straps seem to be able to shorten up well so she's not reaching at all and her relaxed finger would be right there at the trigger.

14 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

hope it serves her well. my thoughts are youth releases with an adjustable post still don't go short enough. the ones with the nylon straps seem to be able to shorten up well so she's not reaching at all and her relaxed finger would be right there at the trigger.

Agreed.  This  one has the strap.  I thought the same thing looking at them.

Great shooting! How old is she? My 3 year old keeps telling me he wants a bow. Not sure if he would even get close to a target as he doesn't really understand what I am trying to tell him about the scope on the gun. I figured 5 would be a good age to start him on the bow and gun.

Edited by chas0218

17 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Great shooting! How old is she? My 3 year old keeps telling me he wants a bow. Not sure if he would even get close to a target as he doesn't really understand what I am trying to tell him about the scope on the gun. I figured 5 would be a good age to start him on the bow and gun.

Natalie is 9.  She started shooting a youth recurve probably 2-3 years ago.  We have kept it fun - not too serious but always trying to teach a little something when we shoot.  We have some challenges where we shoot against each other (the rules favor her).  She is starting to progress where it is becoming more important to her to hit the bullseye.  I don't force it, but its good to see her desire to shoot well kick in. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Natalie is 9.  She started shooting a youth recurve probably 2-3 years ago.  We have kept it fun - not too serious but always trying to teach a little something when we shoot.  We have some challenges where we shoot against each other (the rules favor her).  She is starting to progress where it is becoming more important to her to hit the bullseye.  I don't force it, but its good to see her desire to shoot well kick in. 

Nice, So I'll have a few years. I remember being young and shooting at hay bales in the back field with my dad and my little red fiberglass recurve. 

Edited by chas0218

6 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Nice, So I'll have a few years. I remember being young and shooting at hay bales in the back field with my dad and my little red fiberglass recurve. 

She has a little Sioux and told me yesterday that she will never get rid of it, even though its a bit small for her now.  lol

• Like 1