Happy Kentucky Derby Day

philoshop

Also Cinco de Mayo, and my brother's 55th birthday! 5/5 and turning 55! :drinks: He's in Buffalo for yesterday and today. I'm glad the weather is nice for him.

I texted my buddy in Lexington, KY this morning. He and his wife are guests in a box seat at Churchill Downs for the 144th run for the roses and had Mimosas with breakfast. Gonna be a long day, perhaps.

• Like 1

Justify is heavily favored to win, of course. My buddy and his wife know a lot of the trainers and owners in the area but they don't leak inside information about trifectas and whatnot. Not even to me. :sorry: Between them they make about $20,000 a year betting on horse races though, on top of their day jobs. Her day job is taking care of race horses. That's one of the reasons they moved to Kentucky.

2 hours ago, philoshop said:

Justify is heavily favored to win, of course. My buddy and his wife know a lot of the trainers and owners in the area but they don't leak inside information about trifectas and whatnot. Not even to me. :sorry: Between them they make about $20,000 a year betting on horse races though, on top of their day jobs. Her day job is taking care of race horses. That's one of the reasons they moved to Kentucky.

My upset for the day and trifecta pick is gonna be the 8  7  6

2 hours ago, greg54 said:

My niece and her husband decided to go to Kentucky and see it for real this year. She even bought the costume stuff to wear, she was pretty excited. 

From what I understand it's a heckuva party and quite a spectacle. We didn't make it that far, but we got into Keenland in Lexington which is where most of the horses live and train. It was fun rubbing elbows with multi-billionaires who had horse-poop on their fancy shoes. :rofl:

• Like 2

I dearly wish my buddy and his wife would give me a little inside information. I have a big hole I could get out of. They know that. But it's as closely protected as stock market information and just as highly regulated. It's an international game. Half the people walking around near those stalls with horse poop on their fancy shoes are wearing turbans and robes. They built their own airport ten miles from my friend's house to accommodate their private 747's.

12 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I dearly wish my buddy and his wife would give me a little inside information. I have a big hole I could get out of. They know that. But it's as closely protected as stock market information and just as highly regulated. It's an international game. Half the people walking around near those stalls with horse poop on their fancy shoes are wearing turbans and robes. They built their own airport ten miles from my friend's house to accommodate their private 747's.

The mud always makes it hard to pick a winner ,even the professionals.

14 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The last Derby I watched,  Secretariat won......

It means nothing to me personally, but my good friends live in that world so I feel compelled to pay at least a little attention to it. And my buddy always has really good bourbon when I visit. Plus, I used to ride those critters during the winter at Finger Lakes. That was not a fun job for a little kid. I'd rather kill myself taking chances on a Kart, with brakes.

• Like 1

That was a great race with the top three really putting on a show. I thought my bets were shot when the 1/2 mile time showed up, but justify was up to the task. I ended up cashing 5 tickets for a little under 2500. By far the biggest score I have ever had betting on the horses.

• Like 2