1st fawn pieces of the year

Doc

Saw my first "torn apart" fawn of the season in the middle of my lower lawn while mowing. Somebody had a a nice meal. Couple of feet of skin and a front leg & hoof. It seems like every year now, I am finding chewed up dead fawns.

What county Doc? Only one fresh fawn drop I seen sign of localy. Still no sightings, :P but I suspect that may change any day now.. :-\

Ontario County.

There's no telling what exactly happened to this one. There's not enough of it to tell. It is possible that with all this crap weather it might have died of natural causes and simply is being finished off by other critters. A couple years back I found a dead fawn laying up against the barn ...... not a mark on it. Last year there was one up on top of the hill that had obviously been fed on (See attached picture). Even that one, you really can't tell whether something killed it or whether it was simply found dead and was being fed on.

post-11-131455445464_thumb.jpg

Well if it's any consolation... I saw a live fawn yesterday.. just a couple days old... I wanted so much to pick the thing up and hold it.. but I know better.. it just laid there in the grass motionless at my feet... When I first saw it.. it looked like a rabbit... it was so small. And, wouldn't you know.. I didn't have my camera!!

Yeah, not all of our fawns come in a scrambled up condition either ..... lol. Here's one from a couple years ago that was still in one piece and breathing. Apparently enough of them make it through to maintain a good healthy population here. But I guess a certain percentage become critter food.

post-11-131455446797_thumb.jpg

Nice shot of the survivor Doc! 8)

I saw a live fawn yesterday.. just a couple days old... I wanted so much to pick the thing up and hold it.. but I know better.. it just laid there in the grass motionless at my feet...

Glad you fought off the temptation Joe....your fawn will be better off for it. :)

I think that's probably everyones initial reaction the first few fawns they find that way. You may be able to get away with that on baby birds fallen from a nest, but I think momma doe and her olfactory sences may percieve that fawn as contaminated if we put our stinking paws on them. ???

It can be tempting, but some guys need to conciously think about the consequences of human scent on a few day old fawn. I think the only situation I could think to pick one up would be to move it from the way of farm equiptment or something of that nature. Other than that, I'll just fill my cameras memory card and call it another great great outdoors experience. ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Been seeing live fawns while turkey hunter, checking my field crops, and on the tractor.  Have not found any parts or pieces like above.  Usually, seeing sets of twins is very common by now. This year, I have yet to see any  twins, all singles.  Few fawns are nice size already, but have also seen some later drops.  What is everyone else seeing?  Any differences from other years?

Saw one about a week ago (a live one ...... lol) in our front yard down by my driveway. It certainly was not a "new-born" and was quite far along in growth. We don't really get to see a whole lot of them here because there is not a lot of open fields. Farming has left the community quite a few decades ago. So usually, I have to practically step on them (which happens more often than expected, but not real often) in order to see them. So with so few opportunities to actually see them, I am not the one to talk about any fawning trends that I might see now or in the past. Not enough data points.

Hi Doc: That's one of the great things of forums like this and other hunting forums...none of us individually, can have enough data points, but together we can maybe approach a "critical mass" that at least points towards what's going on out there.

Landtrac: I rarely see twins in May, usually I stumble on a bedded fawn or two during gobbler season. This year was average with two singles...I have not seen twins yet either, but someone stopped in the office and said they saw two crossing the road behind mom. All the rest of the reports are singles from people seeing single fawns.

It has been so wet here in Allegany County, coupled with the late spring, there hasn't been any first cuttings yet that I know of. Last year, it was so warm, by this time lots of first cuttings were being taken and lots of fawn sightings. But on a business trip to Rochester last week, I did notice up by Dansville, there were a couple fields that had been fresh cut. But that may be a good thing too, because a lot of fawns get killed by those big blades when the fawn drop coincides with the first cutting.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this on the last Saturday of turkey season.  A 4'x2' oval of grass neatly pressed down next to it.  Looked clean, just a bit of blood on the leg.  I have a strong feeling that I disturbed a coyote's breakfast.

Found a bit of old hide and bone from another fawn last fall during deer season.  Only about 200 yds away. 

post-2220-131455451426_thumb.jpg