2018 Baseball Thread

grampy

You never know what you will get out of Sonny Gray. Most of his starts, like tonight, are not good. Then here and there the guy can be brilliant. 

Course he didn't get any run support tonight at all. But he pretty much gave the game away in the 1st, giving up all those runs.

Yanks really need some more dependable pitching, to fill out the rotation, for the last half of the season. If there is going to be a postseason, they want to remember. 

Hoping Yanks win tomorrow. 2 out of 3 from the Sox would still be huge!

BEST 1-2 PUNCH IN THE BUSINESS
A-Rod: Mookie, J.D. better than Judge, Stanton
BY MIKE MAZZEO
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
According to Alex Rodriguez, the best offensive tandem in baseball doesn’t play in the Bronx.
“While (Giancarlo) Stanton and Aaron Judge get a lot of attention, the Red Sox have the best 1-2 punch in baseball in Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez,” A-Rod told the Boston Globe when asked to compare the two AL East rivals.
A-Rod, who gave the edge to the Red Sox in the starting rotation and the Yankees in the bullpen, is calling his first game at Yankee Stadium for ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball.
Based on the numbers so far this season, he’s right. Heading into Saturday’s Yankees- Red Sox game, Betts (1.104 OPS) and Martinez (1.028) ranked third and fifth in ESPN’s Offensive WAR, while Judge (.954) was 12th and Stanton (.846) was 66th.
“If you asked the insiders in the game, they would put Mookie in the top three players in the game and that’s a hell of a compliment for a guy who goes under the radar,” A-Rod told the Globe. “And the reason he goes under the radar is because he’s a consummate professional. He does everything really well and he gets better every year and does it with class, elegance, and stealth.
“J.D. is becoming a top slugger in our game, a combination of power and run production and contact. He’s also a very good hitter. What the most impressive thing about him is, just about everybody who comes into a big market like New York and Boston, there’s an adjustment period. The whole first half of ’04 for me was a difficult one. It was a challenging time. J.D. hit the ground running. The one to credit here is (Red Sox president of baseball operations) Dave Dombrowski.”
A-Rod told New York reporters
being able to call his first game in The Bronx, where he used to play, “is going to be a thrill.”
He is also serving as special adviser to Yankees GM Brian Cashman.
“I’m in constant communication with Hal (Steinbrenner) and Cash and I’m always talking to the players,” A-Rod said of his role. “But the one thing I’ve learned is when you have so much great energy everyone should just stay the hell outta the way and let the river flow.”
A-Rod has developed a long relationship with Gary Sanchez, who is currently out with a Grade 1 strain of his right groin and has hit .190 so far (14 homers, 41 RBI, .723 OPS) while performing inconsistently behind the plate.
“He’s just a pure hitter, a hybrid of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz,” A-Rod said of Sanchez. “The other element are the things he has to control which is being in good shape, being healthy, being engaged. All of those things are what the staff has to do to get him there. But as far as raw ability, game on the line, Gary Sanchez.”
Sanchez has also dealt with calf cramping before his groin injury.
“It’s hard to say when you talk about injuries,” A-Rod said. “One of the things maybe when you have an injury like this where you’re off (3-4) weeks is a chance to kind of press delete, reset and really get ready for the second half of the year when the Yankees are going to need you the most.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree with the two top hitters being on the sox with average esp. 

Yanks I think have bullpen, infield defense, closer and 7-9 hitter advantage. Sox def have the best duo of hitters in Betts and Martinez and first 3 starters. 

Thus the reason they have been within 2 games of each other all year..... Gonna go to the wire for division.  Injuries could decide a lot.  

You never know what you will get out of Sonny Gray. Most of his starts, like tonight, are not good. Then here and there the guy can be brilliant. 
Course he didn't get any run support tonight at all. But he pretty much gave the game away in the 1st, giving up all those runs.
Yanks really need some more dependable pitching, to fill out the rotation, for the last half of the season. If there is going to be a postseason, they want to remember. 
Hoping Yanks win tomorrow. 2 out of 3 from the Sox would still be huge!

At this point I think we do know lol. Can’t wait to see Johnny Lasagna pitch again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

My Mets shit the bed again this year. Hopefully they don't trade deGrom or Syndergaard before the trade deadline. I would expect the Yankees and Red Sox trying for quality starter before the trade deadline....maybe Wheeler.

My Mets shit the bed again this year. Hopefully they don't trade deGrom or Syndergaard before the trade deadline. I would expect the Yankees and Red Sox trying for quality starter before the trade deadline....maybe Wheeler.

I doubt Red Sox will go for a starter.

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Sonny Gray pitching another great game lol 

He's so bad, I almost feel sorry for him.

Not sure if it's a mental thing or what.  But the guy had really good stuff at one time.

He's embarrassing right now.

Who cares about baseball right now! The NFL starts in about 4 weeks, and I couldn't care less who stays in the locker room instead of taking a knee. Lets go Buffalo Lets Go.
Sorry, as a Mets fan I hate baseball.

Gronk spikes a bills hat at wedding

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Gronk spikes a bills hat at wedding

Just remember tough guy, for all the smack you talk about the Chiefs, they are about as impressive as hunters who targets button bucks. They get it done, but, not where it counts.

Just remember tough guy, for all the smack you talk about the Chiefs, they are about as impressive as hunters who targets button bucks. They get it done, but, not where it counts.

If the Chiefs target button bucks, what do the bills target? They made the playoff for first since the Lincoln administration and now are back to being one of the worst teams in NFL. So I guess they target sparrows?

18 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

If the Chiefs target button bucks, what do the bills target? They made the playoff for first since the Lincoln administration and now are back to being one of the worst teams in NFL. So I guess they target sparrows?

Nothing under 275 Boone & Crocket, that's why we loose every year. LOL

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How about those first place Sox? Back2Back sweeps.

The way it looks right now, The AL East is well within the grasp of the Red Sox. But there is still a lot of baseball to play, before that happens!  I still feel the Sox and Yankee's will battle down to the wire. The AL East will come down to a couple games, with the loser going to a one or done game, with 105 plus wins. My feeling is, with some NY guys coming off the DL and a quality arm pick up, before the deadline, of a quality starter. The Yanks will be right where they want to be, when it's all said and done!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How about those first place Sox? Back2Back sweeps.

Yankees playing Baltimore series so should gain some ground.   Sister there for double header today and single tomorrow.

Biz , congrats on all the players selected for the all star game.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yanks haven't lost a series since mid May.  Including the Sox!  Gonna be a race to the playoffs. 

Actually lost a series about 2 weeks ago but forgot to whom. Did you hear the richochet in my head ? TB Rays I believe 

Edited by turkeyfeathers