Happy Memorial day weekend!

First-light

Let's remember why we do this! I'll be at camp with my girls flying my huge american flag from the deer pole!

Remember and be safe this weekend!

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday that honors American servicemembers and is observed on the last Monday of May (May 30 in 2011). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. citizens who died while on military service.[1] First enacted to honor Union and Confederate soldiers following the American Civil War,[2] it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.

post-211-131455448098_thumb.jpg

I also fly a flag all year. Its not one of those POS, China made jobs you buy at the big box stores either. I wont buy a flag unless its a Betsy Ross or Annin. I take great care of it, its lighted at night and I replace them when they get faded or if they tear.

This weekend my fiance has to work, so we are staying home. Having a cookout with a bunch of friends at my place on Saturday though, and another with her family Sunday. Probably gonna do a small one again Monday lol. Have a great weekend guys!

Well I'm glad to be here, it was a bit touch-an-go last night. They predicted severe storms to hit my area at 11. Not a minute late a wall of water and wind hit the cabin. The worst I have ever been in. The place shook the windows were being pushed by the wind. I got my girls under the stair case. It lasted for about 4 minutes. The storms lasted until 2 am not as severe as the first. At that point I passed out. Woke up at 6 and drove home. The lightning was incredible, I have video of it and will post.

Burt, we got hit with the same storm last night. Ended up with an inch of water driven into the basement below the storm door. When it hit, I rushed myself, my fiance and the baby into the basement until it was over. It sounded like a freight train when it came through, and I wasnt taking chances. I also have video of the lightning after it passed.

Wooly, before the storm hit, I was seeing flashes of light south and west of us, which I started out thinking was fireworks that someone was setting off. When it continued for close to an hour I began wondering what the heck it was. Not long after that is when it hit. I havent seen a lightning show like that since I lived in Florida. With the exception of the water in the basement and scaring the crap out of us, it was a pretty cool storm to watch.

Got caught in the same storm un real lightning show . Could see it in the distance for hours before it hit us.When the rain hit it was dead calm the rain came down in torrents but the flag never even moved I thought that was very strange. After a while the wind came but not bad as some have described. Loved every minute of it.

Dave 

One thing I noticed this weekend was the road kill some deer but many turtles. Mostly looked like snapping turtles and a few red eared sliders. Any one else notice turtle road kill?

Dave

I did too! Now I drive 17 from Hariman to Howard, a long stretch. There were more dead deer than I'd like to see and many turtles. Saw one right in the middle of the road doing his best to get across, probably know how that ended!

They dont pick the deer up much at all around here anymore. I know quite a few deer were left to rot completely on the roadsides and there are skeletons in those spots now. Regardless, I know which deer have been laying on my regular routes, and most have been hit in the last week or two.

I used to think that the State workers picked them up but found out that individual contractors did just that . The state delayed payments to the contractors a couple years ago and they held off on the pickups . I believe they wait until there are enough in a general area to do the cleanup now .

What is it with Memorial Day weekend and Deer roadkill. I have noticed for years the increased deer kill along the highways around Rochester.Is it due to increased traffic ?  Fawns being born ?  Deer moving to new areas for the summer ?

So Ive been reading up a bit on this as you got my mind to turning about it. The general consensus I have come to is that most of the deer getting hit this time of year are last year's fawns that have been chased away by their mothers. The older does chase them away so that they can give birth to the new fawns and form a bond with them. Those yearlings arent exactly brilliant, and they run around like crazy and some end up hit by a car. Makes perfect sense seeing as the last few weeks has been when the fawns are dropping.