Hunter safety course

crappyice

38 minutes ago, steve863 said:

And not giving courses until September isn't exactly the greatest of ideas.  Kids are going back to school and trying to settle in and then trying to fit in a couple of long sessions of hunter safety training won't be easy for most.

I believe Volunteer opportunities are available Right Now ! When will you be presenting a class ? Just Curious ?

18 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I believe Volunteer opportunities are available Right Now ! When will you be presenting a class ? Just Curious ?

Why are you turning this on me?  I don't have the time or interest to be an instructor.  I am only making an observation that it isn't exactly smart to start courses in September when kids go back to school.  Wouldn't giving courses in July or August make more sense?  Especially since it is an 8 hour course and some have to drive a good distance to get to a course.  I understand that volunteers give these courses, but maybe the DEC should start paying these people as an incentive?  I'm sure you'd get more people involved then.  It seems to me that when it comes to gun permits or hunting licenses, this bloody state simply goes out of it's way to make it difficult for people to get them.  This is what bothers me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, steve863 said:

Why are you turning this on me?  I don't have the time or interest to be an instructor.  I am only making an observation that it isn't exactly smart to start courses in September when kids go back to school.  Wouldn't giving courses in July or August make more sense?  Especially since it is an 8 hour course and some have to drive a good distance to get to a course.  I understand that volunteers give these courses, but maybe the DEC should start paying these people as an incentive?  I'm sure you'd get more people involved then.  It seems to me that when it comes to gun permits or hunting licenses, this bloody state simply goes out of it's way to make it difficult for people to get them.  This is what bothers me.

I fully agree .... July or August would be prime as no school being in .... I blame my attitude on not enough coffee this AM .... Sorry about that !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve863 said:

And not giving courses until September isn't exactly the greatest of ideas.  Kids are going back to school and trying to settle in and then trying to fit in a couple of long sessions of hunter safety training won't be easy for most.

In July and August there probably isn't as much interest being more people don't think that far ahead. When September comes hunting season is on more peoples mind. Probably get better turn out.

7 minutes ago, Just Lucky said:

In July and August there probably isn't as much interest being more people don't think that far ahead. When September comes hunting season is on more peoples mind. Probably get better turn out.

Parents and relatives who want to get kids into a hunter safety course will know well before September rolls around that this is something they need to sign up for.  In fact, many people look forward to it for a few years in advance, so I don't think they need the month of September as a reminder.

I myself don't see why these courses couldn't be given monthly at regional DEC offices by PAID DEC personnel.  Hell, NYS and the DEC collects the revenue from the sales of hunting licenses, why do they need volunteers to give these courses?  Does not make sense to me.  Are the inspectors at road tests to get a drivers license volunteers?   I don't think they are, so why should we have only volunteers to give hunter safety courses?  I'm sure even DEC officers would have 8 hours available in a month to give this course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crappyice said:

In no way am I upset at the instructor offering their time and passion- that’s amazing.

However, if there are people wanting to join the hunting ranks(pay for licenses, gear, food and hotels and all other $$$ involved that NYS will be getting a portion of) they should be making that easier. The classes fill within the day of being posted with people driving hours away to attend.

With hunter number shrinking why not make it easier/show more appreciation for more to volunteer their time?

My boys just started their on-line HW yesterday-$15 per kid to register for the online version. They are doing it at the same time and I can’t imagine what the instructor can add besides the personal stories and touches (very valuable) to the info covered online.

The NYS process is overkill and inconvenient...it almost seems like NYS doesn’t like hunting!??!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can really understand your frustration; I really can. I do believe however that the "hands on" part of the coarse is something that is very much needed. Personal instruction is something that just can't be realized from a computer.   

• Like 1

I can really understand your frustration; I really can. I do believe however that the "hands on" part of the coarse is something that is very much needed. Personal instruction is something that just can't be realized from a computer.   

Absolutely and that is the part of this whole hunting experience that I most look forward to sharing with my boys. I don’t remember jack-$hit from ANY class I took(including HS, College, Masters,+) that is helpful to my teaching career. I do remember all the various lessons wth teachers who cared about me enough IN THE FIELD after I went through the BS seat time.
How many people get into hunting truly alone with no one to show them some ropes- course with anecdotes are helpful for them.

Absolutely and that is the part of this whole hunting experience that I most look forward to sharing with my boys. I don’t remember jack-$hit from ANY class I took(including HS, College, Masters,+) that is helpful to my teaching career. I do remember all the various lessons wth teachers who cared about me enough IN THE FIELD after I went through the BS seat time.
How many people get into hunting truly alone with no one to show them some ropes- course with anecdotes are helpful for them.

7 hours ago, steve863 said:

Parents and relatives who want to get kids into a hunter safety course will know well before September rolls around that this is something they need to sign up for.  In fact, many people look forward to it for a few years in advance, so I don't think they need the month of September as a reminder.

I myself don't see why these courses couldn't be given monthly at regional DEC offices by PAID DEC personnel.  Hell, NYS and the DEC collects the revenue from the sales of hunting licenses, why do they need volunteers to give these courses?  Does not make sense to me.  Are the inspectors at road tests to get a drivers license volunteers?   I don't think they are, so why should we have only volunteers to give hunter safety courses?  I'm sure even DEC officers would have 8 hours available in a month to give this course.

Not everyone has a relative to get someone into hunting. Not all people start hunting at a young age. 

And as far as DEC goes they're shorthanded already and do not have the time to do their job now. 

It would ne nice if parents and relatives got children envolved more with outdoor activities. I did plan ahead and got my kids into their hunting safety course early, but there were several available, maybe because of my location. I also get told hunting maybe a problem for me, lol.

I would like to see N.Y. state have a game service, much like other states, not just DEC, but all cost money.

I like that N.Y. states safety course is recognized by other states too, so something must be right.

Not everyone has a relative to get someone into hunting. Not all people start hunting at a young age. 
And as far as DEC goes they're shorthanded already and do not have the time to do their job now. 
It would ne nice if parents and relatives got children envolved more with outdoor activities. I did plan ahead and got my kids into their hunting safety course early, but there were several available, maybe because of my location. I also get told hunting maybe a problem for me, lol.
I would like to see N.Y. state have a game service, much like other states, not just DEC, but all cost money.
I like that N.Y. states safety course is recognized by other states too, so something must be right.

Other states tests (PA on-line course for one as told by someone earlier here) are recognized by NY and if that is the case why not have your own on-line version-it is created already. It’s just called “homework” now that must be down before the seat time class.

I just don’t understand why it takes 8 hours to teach “know your target and beyond” and read the regs book which changes all the time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Other states tests (PA on-line course for one as told by someone earlier here) are recognized by NY and if that is the case why not have your own on-line version-it is created already. It’s just called “homework” now that must be down before the seat time class.

I just don’t understand why it takes 8 hours to teach “know your target and beyond” and read the regs book which changes all the time.

Heck, many college courses are on-line these days.  I can't imagine a hunters safety course is more difficult to grasp than many college level courses.  My suggestion would be to have part of the course on-line and then maybe have 4 hours or less in a class setting.  This way you can have these volunteer instructors give twice as many courses which would create more course availability to those who need to sign up for a class.

• Like 1

Heck, many college courses are on-line these days.  I can't imagine a hunters safety course is more difficult to grasp than many college level courses.  My suggestion would be to have part of the course on-line and then maybe have 4 hours or less in a class setting.  This way you can have these volunteer instructors give twice as many courses which would create more course availability to those who need to sign up for a class.

Stop being rational!!! This is NY hunting!!!

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Having sat through the firearms and bow classes with my grandson, a couple years ago, I was glad, I sat through the "refresher course" myself!! After almost 50 years of hunting for me, I still learned some things, and heard some great points I had forgotten! You can never be TOO SAFE!! Most hunting accidents, happen to the experienced hunters, not the newbies! I highly recommend anyone that has hunted for a LONG time, to sit through a course with a kid, or new hunter, as a mentor!

The course consists of a total review, of the online homework.  Could the online part be enough to get a new hunter started? Yes. But, will it be better than a hands on course? No way. Especially for the hunter who does not have other hunters in the family or a mentor to actually show safety techniques.

I can't speak for all instructors, or places where the courses are held, but these guys (volunteers) at Woodlawn Sportsmans Club, were simply AWESOME! So much so, that I joined the club. And this September, for the first time, I will be a volunteer instructor as well. These guys have real hands on things, like all different types firearms, and how they operate. Real treestands, hung on a tree, to demonstrate treestand safety.  A real bloodline to observe and follow. Actual shooting at clay birds and livefire 22LR. How to safely carry, transport, load, and care for a firearm,  or bow, again hands on. Also the wealth of hundreds of years of combined experience, to share with new hunters, in my opinion is invaluable. 

Hey, I try to stay up with the times. Online is GREAT, and so easy and convenient. But sometimes, for some things, hands on, eye to eye instruction, by a team of experienced instructors, "could" be more beneficial.

JMO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grampy said:

Having sat through the firearms and bow classes with my grandson, a couple years ago, I was glad, I sat through the "refresher course" myself!! After almost 50 years of hunting for me, I still learned some things, and heard some great points I had forgotten! You can never be TOO SAFE!! Most hunting accidents, happen to the experienced hunters, not the newbies! I highly recommend anyone that has hunted for a LONG time, to sit through a course with a kid, or new hunter, as a mentor!

The course consists of a total review, of the online homework.  Could the online part be enough to get a new hunter started? Yes. But, will it be better than a hands on course? No way. Especially for the hunter who does not have other hunters in the family or a mentor to actually show safety techniques.

I can't speak for all instructors, or places where the courses are held, but these guys (volunteers) at Woodlawn Sportsmans Club, were simply AWESOME! So much so, that I joined the club. And this September, for the first time, I will be a volunteer instructor as well. These guys have real hands on things, like all different types firearms, and how they operate. Real treestands, hung on a tree, to demonstrate treestand safety.  A real bloodline to observe and follow. Actual shooting at clay birds and livefire 22LR. How to safely carry, transport, load, and care for a firearm,  or bow, again hands on. Also the wealth of hundreds of years of combined experience, to share with new hunters, in my opinion is invaluable. 

Hey, I try to stay up with the times. Online is GREAT, and so easy and convenient. But sometimes, for some things, hands on, eye to eye instruction, by a team of experienced instructors, "could" be more beneficial.

JMO.

Thanks for volunteering your time. I remember the blood trail part of my safety course. Good information.

I took a boater safety course given by the chemung county sheriffs office about 5 years ago and it was nice that I could ask questions that were not covered in the safety book. The boater safety course did cost money though.

I think its great the state offers hunter safety courses for free. 

• Like 1

Just some random thoughts . I took the instructor class many years ago, and was somewhat shocked I had to find my own place to teach and so forth, never continued on with it .

Hardest part for my daughter was finding three nights to give up 5:30 to 10:30 ( with driving time ) to busy with all the homework and sports .

She never read the book, just sat through the class and said it was the easiest test she ever took......

Focus  just on safety , gun safety , tree stand and be done with it. This shortens the class and they can concentrate on what I feel is the most important part. I’ve seen them go off on how to find land to hunt and so many non safety  issues , including many , “ me and Joe “ stories .

I still recall my bow course from ‘88  the instructors were two of the most insulting ,ignorant yahoos, I’ve ever come across . They would correctly explain the vitals and the angles and such, then showed a skull with a broad head in it . His son had a deer right under his stand, so that was the only shot he had ..... at least an online course the content would be correct , controlled and uniform .follow that up,with a few hours hands on if need be .