Oak Trees ?

Doing some planning for future land management: Does anyone know of any nurseries/retail outlets (CNY or SNY State)  where you can purchase Red/White/Hybrid Oak  trees larger than saplings?  Would prefer not going via the native nurseries/ shipping route.

Doing some planning for future land management: Does anyone know of any nurseries/retail outlets (CNY or SNY State)  where you can purchase Red/White/Hybrid Oak  trees larger than saplings?  Would prefer not going via the native nurseries/ shipping route.
Might be a little out of your way but check Ontario orchards, out on 104.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Im no tree expert by far but have you looked into dustun chestnut trees from what ive read they start producing nuts way faster like in just a 3 to 5 yrs where i think oaks is more like 10 to 15yrs  and are preffered by deer more... i plan on putting in a few next year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, land 1 said:

Im no tree expert by far but have you looked into dustun chestnut trees from what ive read they start producing nuts way faster like in just a 3 to 5 yrs where i think oaks is more like 10 to 15yrs  and are preffered by deer more... i plan on putting in a few next year

yes they are frost proof and produce every year as they flower in july amd drop their nuts early october. i have many as well as pure american. i would still plant oak preferably white. diversity is a good thing in natures buffet

• Like 2

thanks to all for the information! greatly appreciated, I have about a dozen of the dunstans planted over the last 3 years, no nuts yet! Hopefully this year, some catkins are forming.  Lost a few to frost right after Planting. I was looking to add a little forest diversity with the oaks, So far I have only been able to get red and white oak saplings from the state.

white oak are smaller and grow.slower than red but they are a good source and will replace trees under most circumstances https://shop.arborday.org/product.aspx?zpid=883 i recommend becoming a member and get 10 free trees as well ( their choice) you may want to consider hazelnut as well in sunny edges or forest.openings if your looking for diversity

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Glen said:

thanks to all for the information! greatly appreciated, I have about a dozen of the dunstans planted over the last 3 years, no nuts yet! Hopefully this year, some catkins are forming.  Lost a few to frost right after Planting. I was looking to add a little forest diversity with the oaks, So far I have only been able to get red and white oak saplings from the state.

any tips on the chestnut as far as planting and etc like i said plan on doing a few next year

8 hours ago, land 1 said:

any tips on the chestnut as far as planting and etc like i said plan on doing a few next year

chestnuts prefer acidic soil. they do very well planted in old pine plantation. american chestnuts would sprout and grow so easially they were considered a weed tree by farmers( one of every 4 trees you see in the mid atlantic to northeast was a chestnut) 

i highly suggest fencing your trees with welded 2x4 x5ft welded fence. chestnust are prefered by about eveey animal and insect in the woods. i actually have had best success with fall planting as trees are bigger when they come potted. the fall rains and cooler temps.reduce the need to water much more than when you have a dry spring and drought for summer. 

best thing with chestnuts is they are frost proof and will.produce nuts every year as they flower in july. making an x in the nuts and roasting them or eating them raw after removing the silver skin will show you why and your tastebuds will be in for a treat. animals willl go out of the way to eat the nuts before anything else

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

white oak are smaller and grow.slower than red but they are a good source and will replace trees under most circumstances https://shop.arborday.org/product.aspx?zpid=883 i recommend becoming a member and get 10 free trees as well ( their choice) you may want to consider hazelnut as well in sunny edges or forest.openings if your looking for diversity

Thanks for sharing the link. Just signed up myself. 

16 hours ago, Glen said:

Once you get the oak growing, you'll find oaks saplings all over  your property.  Shag bark hickory is another good tree to get established.

My Dunstans have been a huge disappointment to me. I have just two, but I don't expect them to survive. They had nuts the first two years after I planted them, no nuts the last three years. I am pretty sure they have the blight...…..I treat the wounds with a dressing intended for pruning wounds and this year I applied a fungicide as an experiment. That won't  be practical if the trees get bigger.

I also have 9 sawtooth oaks that are doing well that I got through our Soil and Water group. They are 8 years old and haven't produced nuts yet, but they are growing as expected. They really thrive on full sun and heat. I have not bothered to fence them as deer are around them all Winter and have little or no interest in them (unlike my small apple trees that wouldn't have a prayer without the fencing).

9 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

My Dunstans have been a huge disappointment to me. I have just two, but I don't expect them to survive. They had nuts the first two years after I planted them, no nuts the last three years. I am pretty sure they have the blight...…..I treat the wounds with a dressing intended for pruning wounds and this year I applied a fungicide as an experiment. That won't  be practical if the trees get bigger.

I also have 9 sawtooth oaks that are doing well that I got through our Soil and Water group. They are 8 years old and haven't produced nuts yet, but they are growing as expected. They really thrive on full sun and heat. I have not bothered to fence them as deer are around them all Winter and have little or no interest in them (unlike my small apple trees that wouldn't have a prayer without the fencing).

pack wounds with mud. the blight is a fungus and something in the soil kills it.