Vintage Hunting Photos (Good Old Days)

airedale

13 hours ago, Farflung said:

and that Marlin looks like it might be one of the half octagonal/half round barrel models. If so it is a rare bird. Some of them were also made take-down.

Yes, that is surely a Luger pistol on the right.  They were very popular with hunters back then.  That Marlin appears to be a takedown and a half octagon barrel.

As far as safety goes, I have seen many old timers lean on their lever guns like the man in the photo is doing.  It gives me pause, but the chamber is probably empty, as they found it easy to quickly lever one into the chamber when needed.

Edited by Grouse

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

As far as safety goes, I have seen many old timers lean on their lever guns like the man in the photo is doing.  It gives me pause, but the chamber is probably empty, as they found it easy to quickly lever one into the chamber when needed.

The chamber may be empty, however, the rule taught today is to treat every gun as if it is loaded. That's a good rule to live by. I remember back in the early days, I talked to hunters that I ran into that thought it was a good idea to cradle his shotgun in his arm with the barrel pointed at my kneecaps. I had to insist that he not do that......lol. Another guy placed the muzzle of his shotgun on top of his boot while resting his arm on the butt-plate. I didn't converse with him for very long. Today people seem to be a bit more conscious of safe gun handling.

• Like 2