Canning thread started!

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

1e69453b2f71281d5c3c2dcc17d70f14.jpg

Canned up some venison this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking meat!! I used pints and added a bit of salt, garlic and a beef bouillon cube. After it's cooked then I add what ever preferred for the meal. Oh so good. Enjoy

• Like 1

75 pounds of Roma tomatoes. I have a few pics for the process so far, but as Tapatalk wouldn't log me off and signed me in when I wasn't even on the site, now I can't log in with Tapatalk. I will have to upload to my PC and the add here. Been a long day, and I really don't feel like doing that right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Just did another 7 quarts of tomatoes and 6 quarts of mild salsa and 6 1\2 pints of hot pepper jelly. Everything just about from our garden. Great year. Wife wants to do more hot pepper jelly and if tomatoes keep turning one more batch of my grandma's chili sauce.

That sounds awfully good.  Tons of work, but it's so worth it.

What do you put grandma's chili sauce on?

1 minute ago, stubborn1VT said:

That sounds awfully good.  Tons of work, but it's so worth it.

What do you put grandma's chili sauce on?

All meats already cooked and On a plate fried taters, great by itself and also great with tortilla chips. My grandma loved it will fresh hamburger from our own cows and it's great with just roast in the morning.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 1:55 PM, Rob... said:

Almost done. 75lbs of tomatoes yielded 13 quart jars, and we have the rest in the slow cooker cooking down, which will be another 2 quarts we are freezing. Lotta work when it's this hot out. But worth it, and glad it's done.ca83aad4531508543287864f4ab46799.jpg59d145f0c69eecf070a36c794a6035c2.jpg3eb91299adf0c20423fd7c0fcb556230.jpg

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Looks great Rob, we got our tomatoes today, 10 25# boxes.  Hoping to get 40 or so quarts.  

• Like 2

We have our tomatoes but they need a day or two more to really ripen.
Tonight we did 1/2 bushel of roasted red peppers, and a peck of sweet yellow bananas. Maybe I can get Bionic to make a pizza for me!
c08458cf32792d68e136fdad351cab76.jpg567a7990255bf9d07c376cf509dc7c8f.jpg91915843afb9cc47a31d00b415625151.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Added a few jars to the shelves this past weekend. My wife brought home a 1/2 bushel of green peppers that I will pickle tonight. Also waiting on 50# of San Marzanos to ripen so I can can them whole.

Applesauce from our apple trees in our yard and long red hot peppers from our farm.

728766955e1491cd088a68a0d6c67b10.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/4/2018 at 12:35 PM, The Jerkman said:

Careful you don't get botulism

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

I know Fletch is not a newbie to this but if anyone isn't familiar how to can items that are NOT acidic (like meat), please read up on it first. It is an entirely different process and requires different equipment to kill off just what Jerkman referenced. 

Added a few jars to the shelves this past weekend. My wife brought home a 1/2 bushel of green peppers that I will pickle tonight. Also waiting on 50# of San Marzanos to ripen so I can can them whole.

Applesauce from our apple trees in our yard and long red hot peppers from our farm.

728766955e1491cd088a68a0d6c67b10.jpg&key=f2bc26318bccbc964ec42c02b34455a07ccf179206d8ac66a3851a9a8739b117

Not exactly sure how you are waiting on San marzano tomatoes to ripen? Did you have them sent next day air from Italy?

Not exactly sure how you are waiting on San marzano tomatoes to ripen? Did you have them sent next day air from Italy?

We have a 250 acre fruit and vegetable farm. We grow that variety specifically for selling as canning tomatoes. Because we don't get hot enough and long enough growing season in CNY it takes a few days longer after picking for it to get red throughout the whole tomato.

I make homemade wine too, and that juice does come from Italy!

• Like 2

We have a 250 acre fruit and vegetable farm. We grow that variety specifically for selling as canning tomatoes. Because we don't get hot enough and long enough growing season in CNY it takes a few days longer after picking for it to get red throughout the whole tomato.  
I make homemade wine too, and that juice does come from Italy!

That’s awesome, I wasn’t trying to be a dick but anything labeled or called san marzano has to actually be from that region of Italy. Being from a seed from that region does not qualify a tomato
As San marzano... they are crazy strict about that and anything produced in that region has a DOP Stamp on it

18 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

That’s awesome, I wasn’t trying to be a dick but anything labeled or called san marzano has to actually be from that region of Italy. Being from a seed from that region does not qualify a tomato
As San marzano... they are crazy strict about that and anything produced in that region has a DOP Stamp on it

Yes, you are correct about the San Marzano label.  I’m not not sure what the exact variety is.  I can find out.  It does make a great sauce!