Dog Days..

LET EM GROW

Hate getting pics like this.. This camera had 1300 pics in 2 weeks, I bet nearly half were coyotes. Pups, adults, Day and Night.. This is not far from my other cam with all the spring time predator pics.. Im thinking the kill site is not far from this camera.. Not realizing it and not wanting to intrude on this staging plot any more, i pulled the cam and moved it out to the main plot.  After the 20th, I had not gotten my local single fawn on camera on this card pull.  Just a very brief example of all the yote pics..

Season needs to be open already.. 

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

• Like 2

I wouldn't lose any sleep over a few fawns falling in the spring.

Your mature deer will benefit from that deep in the winter when they don't have to compete with the weakest animals for their own survival.

I know that's not going to be a popular perspective on this around here, but it's not always as bad as it seems if you look at it from two sides instead of one.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, wooly said:

Your mature deer will benefit from that deep in the winter when they don't have to compete with the weakest animals for their own survival.

I know that's not going to be a popular perspective on this around here, but it's not always as bad as it seems if you look at it from two sides instead of one.

I agree completely, at first I thought the leg was from a younger adult deer, but after going over all the pics again and checking out the trail cam pic of the leg again. I believe it is a fawn more now. I was more upset thinking it may have been an adult deer they took down, vs a fawn where its a little more normal.  sucks to happen to any critter especially a little youngster but its just how the cycle works. 

Ive heard some people say, put a hurting on your predators and youll put a hurting on your game animals as well. Which i believe true for the most part, but if you try to control one animal and not others, or the rest. As hunters/sportsman we could hurt the game we pursue if not managed somehow someway..   

• Like 4

I'd kill every one I could if they were in season....

However since I never do anything illegal, I'd suggest waiting until  September and THEN kill every one you can....Hehehe...

I'd also suggest enlisting the help of a good trapper.. He would probably kill more 'yotes in a season than you would in several years just hunting them or shooting them as targets of opportunity..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

Since we actively started hunting coyotes, and most importantly had a trapper come to the property, it has as helped our deer population. Yes we do still have coyotes. But are not over run with them, like we were at one time. There seems to be a good balance now, between coyotes and deer.

We actually look forward to the fun and challenge of hunting them, after deer season.

• Like 1

Myself and the neighbor started hunting them pretty hard the last couple years, and hes been actively calling them for quite a few years before that, with quite a few kills. I think between us we took 6 or 7 this pass winter. I love the challenge of calling them in. My buddy and I will be out October 1st, and will probably video our Daytime hunts. He will be laid off for the first time this winter. He traps around Wayne County where he lives, I asked him if he could set some traps on the property for a week or 2 and I would help with fuel and such to rid the dogs.  If i cant come up with a trappers course in the mean time.. 

You kill their hunting ( Them ) or they will soon kill yours. First you will see your small game and turkeys disappear, Then you will see no fawns with the adult does and then you will see few deer at all. The ones they don't kill will be ran off your property. Have seen this first hand a few times. Only one way to fix the problem like it or not. You like the useless Vermin do nothing, you like your time in the woods seeing other animals kill as many as you can by any means at any time. You will know when/if you have a Vermin problem by looking at the big picture and that's not just whitetails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

You kill their hunting ( Them ) or they will soon kill yours. First you will see your small game and turkeys disappear, Then you will see no fawns with the adult does and then you will see few deer at all. The ones they don't kill will be ran off your property. Have seen this first hand a few times. Only one way to fix the problem like it or not. You like the useless Vermin do nothing, you like your time in the woods seeing other animals kill as many as you can by any means at any time. You will know when/if you have a Vermin problem by looking at the big picture and that's not just whitetails.

Agreed, but what is weird.. our rabbit numbers are higher than ever. Grouse are still around, thin but still here. As well as fox, we have a good population of reds and even some greys around. A few of us on the hill do our best at calling when we can during winter months. I need to find a trappers course somewhere. 

Sounds like you got a good balanced habitat, Ive found that if prey does get scares the yotes move on too, I agree there can be to many yotes and they need to be hunted but its all part of natures cycle, and im sure the yotes keep racoon, possum etc numbers down those guys might not take deer but they do raid nests

55 minutes ago, land 1 said:

Sounds like you got a good balanced habitat, Ive found that if prey does get scares the yotes move on too, I agree there can be to many yotes and they need to be hunted but its all part of natures cycle, and im sure the yotes keep racoon, possum etc numbers down those guys might not take deer but they do raid nests

I always thought that with raccoons and what not, but do coyotes really prey on coons and possum? I have an insane number of coons around. I mean alot. Which leads me to think the coyote do not prefer a coon, because i highly doubt a raccoon will outsmart a coyote, heck they cant outsmart a moving vehicle that never leaves between the white and yellow lines lol 

I always thought that with raccoons and what not, but do coyotes really prey on coons and possum? I have an insane number of coons around. I mean alot. Which leads me to think the coyote do not prefer a coon, because i highly doubt a raccoon will outsmart a coyote, heck they cant outsmart a moving vehicle that never leaves between the white and yellow lines lol 

Same thing happened here. We never lost the coon's but did everything else. Most people have never seen a real Vermin problem. When you start hearing 4 packs light up the night talking to each other from 4 corners of an area you have a problem. Your game will all but disappear. The rabbit thing is happened here this year also. They have a cycle of some kind like they die off a couple years and then explode. Sounds like you are right about a den in the area with a good number of dogs. Hence all the pics. Keep them thinned out when possible.

5 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Same thing happened here. We never lost the coon's but did everything else. Most people have never seen a real Vermin problem. When you start hearing 4 packs light up the night talking to each other from 4 corners of an area you have a problem. Your game will all but disappear. The rabbit thing is happened here this year also. They have a cycle of some kind like they die off a couple years and then explode. Sounds like you are right about a den in the area with a good number of dogs. Hence all the pics. Keep them thinned out when possible.

Every chance i get, I send the pain! lol. I've been in my stands many of times, mostly during archery season. and have 3 or 4 or 5 packs all light up around me, within a half mile or so, IT is awesome to hear.. but we all know what that means. As for that, our deer numbers are pretty good. Not as good as they were once, but the quality has greatly improved. Yet not as bad as the DEC thinks our area is.. according to DMP issuance..  

On 7/31/2018 at 8:45 AM, wooly said:

As with deer, coyote populations need to be kept in check as well. Im not saying eradicate them like some would like, but they do need to be thinned from time to time, within season.

• Like 1