Small pick up truck questions

Nomad

So I’m looking At Colorado’s and Tacoma’s . My first thought with knowing nothing was just get the Toyota, but the Colorado I’ve looked at seem pretty nice too , Ive got a line on a ‘17 ZR1 with 3 k miles and I’ll save about 7 k over an 18 .the year older doesn’t bother me as I keep cars ten plus years .

Now I don’t know the Tacoma models other then what I can find online. Simmons Rockwell has ‘ 18s with 12-15 k miles for 28k , but they’re SR models, is that the basic ?

We plan on towing a 4 - 4.5k weight trailer ( that’s loaded weight ) both will do that but the ZR1 has better rear shocks and other features we like , and no I don’t want full sized.

Any info on the SR model is appreciated, might save us a long drive to Horseheads .

Thanks 

Larry

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

SR is Toyota's entry level.

I have a 2017. SR 4x4, 4 cyl, 5 speed. Access cab

If I was towing over 4K I think I'd want a 6 cyl.

I tow around 3- 3.5K max  and it does OK.

Much of the SR trim interior has to do with digital dash and radio/navigation etc. being available in higher trims. And exterior in trim details and wheels moving up to SR5. I have steel rims (they actually get the best mileage too with lightest tire combo)

My SR also has rear jump seat delete that kept price in low $20's.....but 2018 changed SR trims and not sure what they have/have not.

I looked at Colorado but resale and deal on Toyota was a better overall deal for me.

• Like 1

Actually 10 year old Tacomas sell for about half what they were new with average mileage on them.  They have the least depreciation of any small truck in any model.  That's why it pays to buy a new one vs a used one.

Your Colorado is already being offered at a price that has taken the first year's depreciation off.  So that works out.  But in the long run it will be worth less than a Taco with the same mileage.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Thanks. I would get 4x4, 6 cyl ,crew cab . Toyota tows I think 6,500 and a Chevy 7,000 .

resale should not be much of a factor, my cars sell for about a grand when I do get rid of them, or are junked.

I drive things til they are scrap typically. But even a beat tacoma is worth something.

Tacomas starting with 2016 are what are termed  Generation 3. They have had a few issues with auto transmissions for gen 3's, mostly having to do with shift timing.

So if buying, just make sure they go through any TSB's that apply and get it up to date.

• Like 2

I was doing a little research for a mini pickup for my next vehicle, actually.  I drive 75 miles round trip to work, plus a little on the weekend,  and we own a camp 175 ish miles upstate,  so miles piles on fast.  Fuel mileage is a bit of a concern obviously for me, and I try to find a good blend of reliability,  fuel mileage, and towing capacity in my vehicles.  I was looking at the Colorado diesel, and ford released the Ranger this year for 2019 with an EcoBoost.   I know some are very brand loyal, but I am not, each vehicle is different.   I run an EcoBoost now, and love it, however I wonder if my long trips, and keeping the motor hot for long distances add to reliability.   I wasn't sure if you were aware of the Ranger.  Might not be of any use for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I drive things til they are scrap typically. But even a beat tacoma is worth something.

Tacomas starting with 2016 are what are termed  Generation 3. They have had a few issues with auto transmissions for gen 3's, mostly having to do with shift timing.

So if buying, just make sure they go through any TSB's that apply and get it up to date.

Did they ever smarten up and put a dip stick in the trans? My brother in law had to have his frame replaced and the transmission 

9 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I was doing a little research for a mini pickup for my next vehicle, actually.  I drive 75 miles round trip to work, plus a little on the weekend,  and we own a camp 175 ish miles upstate,  so miles piles on fast.  Fuel mileage is a bit of a concern obviously for me, and I try to find a good blend of reliability,  fuel mileage, and towing capacity in my vehicles.  I was looking at the Colorado diesel, and ford released the Ranger this year for 2019 with an EcoBoost.   I know some are very brand loyal, but I am not, each vehicle is different.   I run an EcoBoost now, and love it, however I wonder if my long trips, and keeping the motor hot for long distances add to reliability.   I wasn't sure if you were aware of the Ranger.  Might not be of any use for you.

From what i was told ,the best thing for the eco boost engines is to reach proper operating temperature regularly ,not good to do short runs on a cold engine all the time.

14 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

From what i was told ,the best thing for the eco boost engines is to reach proper operating temperature regularly ,not good to do short runs on a cold engine all the time.

Good info, makes sense though.  My minimum trip is 18 miles once a week for the most part.  Otherwise 37 miles or so.  Love mine.  I wonder if I would be ok with the Colorado diesel, for just that reason...not trying to hijack the thread though, thats enough out of me!

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Did they ever smarten up and put a dip stick in the trans? My brother in law had to have his frame replaced and the transmission 

Have a manual and never even drove an auto so have no idea.

I know they did frame replacements on previous gen 2's, there are stacks of new frames behind the dealers. 

I had something like 9 recalls on a Ford I put 297,000 miles on; most I didn't even have done. So they all have issues at times. I looked at a used Dodge that had all 4 corners rebuilt twice @32,000 miles ....all of it from bearings out (new hubs,calipers, pads, bearings, tires, the works).....  only time a dealer has ever started dropping price by multiple thousands as I sat there; already had 2 owners.

29 minutes ago, Bionic said:

ford released the Ranger this year for 2019 with an EcoBoost.   I know some are very brand loyal, but I am not, each vehicle is different.  

I'm not brand loyal either but have had more Fords.....I drove one of those new Rangers for a week before they were even mentioned coming to American market, they have been offed overseas for some time now (that was 2014). I would have liked to have waited to look at the US version but couldn't as my prior work vehicle started dying quicker then expected last year. I haven't looked at pricing, but would have considered it......I was surprised to get a discount off the Toyota, on line said the model was going for list or even premium in some markets(!). I threw a number out and they accepted, Chevy guy called 2 days after I sat with him and he lost his sale.

2 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Have a manual and never even drove an auto so have no idea.

I know they did frame replacements on previous gen 2's, there are stacks of new frames behind the dealers. 

I had something like 9 recalls on a Ford I put 297,000 miles on; most I didn't even have done. So they all have issues at times. I looked at a used Dodge that had all 4 corners rebuilt twice @32,000 miles ....all of it from bearings out (new hubs,calipers, pads, bearings, tires, the works).....  only time a dealer has ever started dropping price by multiple thousands as I sat there; already had 2 owners.

I'm not brand loyal either but have had more Fords.....I drove one of those new Rangers for a week before they were even mentioned coming to American market, they have been offed overseas for some time now (that was 2014). I would have liked to have waited to look at the US version but couldn't as my prior work vehicle started dying quicker then expected last year. I haven't looked at pricing, but would have considered it......I was surprised to get a discount off the Toyota, on line said the model was going for list or even premium in some markets(!). I threw a number out and they accepted, Chevy guy called 2 days after I sat with him and he lost his sale.

Oh wow, that's cool.  I am interested in the ranger, honestly.   I drive a 2017 Escape with the 2L EcoBoost,  and love it, just under 32k miles.  I do however, would appreciate bed space, which is why the ranger is appealing.  I have owned 3 fords, and have always had great luck with them.  Have an F250, and had a ford 1/2 ton.  If you go on Ford's website,  you can build the ranger, not cheap,  but still a decent price for what I feel is quality.  I had to google search 2019 ford ranger build it now, could not find it right on their site.   

28 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Oh wow, that's cool.  I am interested in the ranger, honestly.   

2013 Ford Ranger rental trucks in 2 cab styles pictured in 2014. I'll let you google the location.LOL I have no idea why it has taken so long to re enter the smaller market for Ford, even with different engine/drive-train the chassis engineering has been done for years; and the engines overseas blow anything we get offered away for power/torque.

BxNxP2Q.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dinsdale said:

2013 Ford Ranger rental trucks in 2 cab styles pictured in 2014. I'll let you google the location.LOL I have no idea why it has taken so long to re enter the smaller market for Ford, even with different engine/drive-train the chassis engineering has been done for years; and the engines overseas blow anything we get offered away for power/torque.

BxNxP2Q.jpg

I don't doubt you, lol.  No need to research your info.  Relax.  Ford's not stupid, has to be a reason for what they do.  Everything we see here, has been available overseas for years, typically with a diesel as far as I see.

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Good info, makes sense though.  My minimum trip is 18 miles once a week for the most part.  Otherwise 37 miles or so.  Love mine.  I wonder if I would be ok with the Colorado diesel, for just that reason...not trying to hijack the thread though, thats enough out of me!

My focus has the 2.0 ecoboost ,it's a great engine . I saw a zr2 colorado today ,Ford better really bring their A game to compete with that when they release the ranger raptor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

My focus has the 2.0 ecoboost ,it's a great engine . I saw a zr2 colorado today ,Ford better really bring their A game to compete with that when they release the ranger raptor.

I still feel Ford overall has better quality,  it is, what it is.  The new silverado even looks like a new F150...it's pathetic.  This is not what it is all about though,  I believe you shoukd buy what is best for you, we all have luck with what has been good to us.

1 minute ago, Bionic said:

I don't doubt you, lol.  No need to research your info.  Relax.  

LOL.....wasn't my intent......

I thought a sharp eye might spot the steering wheel on the double cab on the right side! LOL Hell of a time trying to shift a 6 speed with my left hand first couple hours.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I like my Focus ; engine runs great and the mileage ain't to shabby either.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I don't doubt you, lol.  No need to research your info.  Relax.  Ford's not stupid, has to be a reason for what they do.  Everything we see here, has been available overseas for years, typically with a diesel as far as I see.

It's funny because the news wanted to report so bad that ford had to shift the focus to mexico to be built because of Trump but the truth is the plan was there way before that to make room to assemble the new ranger in Detroit. Now they announce no more cars in their future line up.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

LOL.....wasn't my intent......

I thought a sharp eye might spot the steering wheel on the double cab on the right side! LOL Hell of a time trying to shift a 6 speed with my left hand first couple hours.

I like my Focus ; engine runs great and the mileage ain't to shabby either.

My crappy Samsung Galaxy S8+ cannot focus like that pal, lol.  That has to be WEIRD.  We had a Cushman UTV at work years back.  It had the shifter on the left side, sucked for me, not having a real left hand! I made due though,  even if it traumatized my passengers,  lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

My advice would be to stay away from diesel.  Since 2009 with the new low sulphur diesel fuel and the addition of DEF they are more expensive to maintain, and less reliable.  Gas engines these days are more reliable than ever.  

School districts are running from diesels for buses as much as possible and manufacturers are revamping everything the same way. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

My advice would be to stay away from diesel.  Since 2009 with the new low sulphur diesel fuel and the addition of DEF they are more expensive to maintain, and less reliable.  Gas engines these days are more reliable than ever.  

School districts are running from diesels for buses as much as possible and manufacturers are revamping everything the same way. 

I hear you.  Super leary honestly.  You know from winter chit chat that I work for a township.   My boss is doing the same.  All the new vehicles are 6.2 Superduty's.   Although the new 6.7 is a good motor.  The Colorado is not a bad duramax when deleted.  I probably will stick with my 2L Escape for awhile, I really do love it.  Pulls my ATV, and blasts through snow, and gets good fuel mileage. 

Also, its a lot of money for thr Dmax Colorado/ Canyon with decent luxaries inside.  I have never been impressed with GM either.  

Edited by Bionic

2018 Toyota Tacoma 2018 Chevrolet  Colorado
Popular Powertrains    
Engine 3.5-liter V6 3.6-liter V6
Horsepower 278 hp 308 hp
Torque 265 lb-ft 275 lb-ft
Transmission Manual, Auto 6-Spd Automatic, 8-Spd
Fuel Economy 19 mpg city, 24 hwy 18 mpg city, 25 hwy
Also Available 159-hp, 2.7-liter I4 200-hp, 2.5-liter I4, 181-hp 2.8-liter I4 diesel
Specs    
Warranty 3 years or 36,000 miles 3 years or 36,000 miles
Max Seating Capacity 5 5
Wheelbase 127.4 inches 128.3 inches
Overall Length 212.3 inches 212.7 inches
Height 70.6 inches 70.7 inches
Payload (base engine) 1,505 pounds 1,574 pounds
Max Payload 1,620 pounds 1,574 pounds
Towing Capacity (base engine) 3,500 pounds 3,500 pounds
Max Towing Capacity 6,800 pounds 7,700 pounds

Thanks from what I see Colorado excels at towing ( why I’m buying ) and comforts like six way power seats ,Tacoma holds its value and may be  better off road which is a minor concern to me .

might flip a coin 

looking at rv in the morning and Colorado after , Tacomas tue.