Live from the butcher block

Chef

On 11/15/2018 at 8:18 PM, Arcade Hunter said:

Son in law's 3 PT... his first archery deer.  Double lung shot at 15 yds.  We hung this for 10 days and butchered night before last.

newcuttingboard.jpg

What's the tabletop/cutting board made of? polypropylene? Where did you get it? Cutting boards are so expensive. I wish there was a service with a heavy duty planer that would refurbish polypropylene cutting boards.

Please give a review. If/when my Cabela's foodsaver style one dies, I'm getting a chamber vacuum sealer.

So far he used it for a mess of smoked sausage he received back from his processor. We also ground an entire deer minus some cutlets from the hind quarters. 18 1 pound packs plus three packs of cutlets, and 2 packs of shanks all done in one “session” with no issue - happy so far- takes about 60 seconds per pack and can only do one pack at a time but the seals are solid and tightly sucked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you guys preserve your meat? I have previously used a vacuum sealer witch broke. Is it worth purchasing a new one or is there a better option ?

I like freezer paper and then in zip top freezer bag. Meat doesn’t usually last a year so that’s plenty good enough for me. With my buddy’s new vacuum sealer more will be done with that

16 hours ago, Redneckoflatham said:

How do you guys preserve your meat? I have previously used a vacuum sealer witch broke. Is it worth purchasing a new one or is there a better option ?

Def think it's worth getting a new one.  I have deer in sealer and be good for 2+ years.  

One guy posted on here a black Friday deal of $56 at Walmart for one. Can't go wrong there. 

These cold temps totally disrupt my venison storage and is going to require some serious rearranging of the freezers. When the temps drop the fridges in the shed and garage stop functioning. I know there are fridges out there that are made to deal with low temps but these are beat up “meat fridges” that I usually pick up from neighbors upgrading and use for only a season or three until a “new” one comes along.
Needed to run some space heaters yesterday to keep them going.

These cold temps totally disrupt my venison storage and is going to require some serious rearranging of the freezers. When the temps drop the fridges in the shed and garage stop functioning. I know there are fridges out there that are made to deal with low temps but these are beat up “meat fridges” that I usually pick up from neighbors upgrading and use for only a season or three until a “new” one comes along.
Needed to run some space heaters yesterday to keep them going.

Try putting a single light bulb in the refrigerator that’s always on. I use a work shop style with the metal guard.

Something about the warmth of the bulb is enough to warm the fridge occasionally and make the compressor kick on and keep the freezer working.

I’ve done it with a compact fluorescent and it worked for me. I’d assume LED would not work because they really don’t give off heat.

Try putting a single light bulb in the refrigerator that’s always on. I use a work shop style with the metal guard.

Something about the warmth of the bulb is enough to warm the fridge occasionally and make the compressor kick on and keep the freezer working.

I’ve done it with a compact fluorescent and it worked for me. I’d assume LED would not work because they really don’t give off heat.

Light bulb deployed!!!

• Like 1

I've been leaving my backstraps whole. I just cut them in 1/2.  Then I take a cookie sheet and pour some Montreal steak seasoning on it. And roll the back strap in it so the whole thing is coated. The fire up the charcoal grill. Cook it med. let sit for 10 minutes then slice! So juicy and delicious! 

• Like 1

I've been leaving my backstraps whole. I just cut them in 1/2.  Then I take a cookie sheet and pour some Montreal steak seasoning on it. And roll the back strap in it so the whole thing is coated. The fire up the charcoal grill. Cook it med. let sit for 10 minutes then slice! So juicy and delicious! 

You had me until “medium”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

I heat the grill and walk past it with the backstraps, even then they are over done to me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you ever name tartar? It’s great with the heart straps, and top round

3 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

I do the same , I cut them in thirds. Hot pan with butter and garlic and a little Montreal steak seasoning.  Sear each side and keep basting with butter.  Pink in the middle.  Delicious

• Like 1