Arrows, what are some good ones? Anyone buy new ones recently?

burmjohn

Thanks Steve but it's all about practice and judging distance...though now I have a range finder..... and well I've been bow hunting like this for many years now....any how I really don't understand the ins and outs on all the tech ...stuff with arrows...when I see that an inexpensive as it were... does the same as what I hear the expensive stuff does...what actually MAKES the difference in them?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, recent enough I bough a dozen radial X weave Ravens at AJ's. I realy like `em. They were on sale, now I know they were last years model and they same arrow is probably made and slabbed with a different name. What do I care they fly great.

Thanks for the reply...unfortunately I just read it.... :;):( ....I had a long talk about #dage....speed....weight...and arrow lenth/weight....ended up buying them again ....I had the Venture #'s set at just 49#'s ....2 #'s lighter than I normally shoot...while you were sending me the message I was out shooting the 51# Hoyt a few more times to check shoulder...it's fine ...no problem on the draw or hold ...but a slight twing  afterwards ....I'm superstitious so had them set it just under the 50 ....

I've never (Lord help me...knock on wood) had a problem with them ...but don't ever shoot what I practice with during hunting and will only shoot a hunting arrow 2x's... I inspect after each shot....so here's hoping my luck holds...thanks for the heads up ;)

Yeah just make sure to twist check them while shooting. I did not know enough to do that back then, and its entirely possible that the arrow may have been worn out when I drew it, but I had bought that set only a few months before that.

Ive also seen stories and pics of every other brand of arrow blowing up, just havent had it happen to me other than that one time.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the notification that my new arrows are on the way. I ended up getting Harvest Time Archery HT2 Harvesters in 400 spine. I picked orange Blazers with a blue cock vane. 6 will have my older Lazer Eye lighted nocks (Red) and the other 6 will have orange Nockturnal lighted nocks on them. These arrows have gotten great reviews and the price is awesome, at $86 a dozen cut and shipped.

http://www.harvesttimearchery.com/carbon-arrows/

I just switched from Easton Aluminum to CX Heart Attack. Picked 6 up at Dicks for $40. Removed the plastic vanes, wrapped the arrows with blaze orange arrow wraps, slipped on some FOB's and CX lighted nocks. What a difference from the EA both in distance and accuracy with the FOBs.

I just got the notification that my new arrows are on the way. I ended up getting Harvest Time Archery HT2 Harvesters in 400 spine. I picked orange Blazers with a blue cock vane. 6 will have my older Lazer Eye lighted nocks (Red) and the other 6 will have orange Nockturnal lighted nocks on them. These arrows have gotten great reviews and the price is awesome, at $86 a dozen cut and shipped.

http://www.harvesttimearchery.com/carbon-arrows/

How do they compare to the CE Maxima's?

Im not sure yet, but as far as straightness goes, they are comparable. The CX Maxima hunters are 1gpi heavier, but you can bring the weight up on the HT2s fairly easily. Im pretty sure the lighted nocks will get them up there for me. There are 3 varieties of straightness you can get, I got the ones that are all within .006 of each other. For $35 a dozen more, you can get them to within .001 of each other. I figured Id give the lower price ones a try for now and when I replace them, as long as Im happy, Ill get the more expensive ones. Ill do a little review on them once I get them and have a chance to shoot them. Probably next week.

.... X2....

Cx maxima hunters, 71#'s of Ke I am going through my Block target, traveling 6 inches more and punching through 3/4" ply with no damage to the arrow.. @ 50 yrds the tip is exposed in the rear of ply wood.

@ 20 yards it travels an additional 4 inches or so and is buried in my shed made out of 1/2"..

very consistent and accurate arrows

I shoot Beeman ICS Hunters, and I also have some Carbon Express Heart Attacks.  Shooting both brands at the same time, I can keep a 4" group out to 30 yards.  With more practice and I'm sure more muscle memory in my arm, I could probably shrink that up some.

Both brands are ~$45/6 depending on where you buy.

I'm happy enough with that....

Just bought easton FMJ's very light,smaller diameter.love em cant wait until opening day>

Those are the only arrows I will shoot because they are not light.  They are one of the heaviest hunting shafts at 11.1 grains per inch.  They indeed are a smaller diameter than most carbons on the market.  I want grains for penetration and a  shaft with backbone that is almost indistructable.  I hav shot all sorts of carbon arrows and aluminum and I have not found any other arrow that compares to these. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second what loworange 88 said about the Beman ICS hunters. The thing to look for is tolerances. Those arrows have a straigtness factor of plus or minus ".003". And thats pretty good for the price. carbon express maxima's are much more expensive and only have a straightness of plus or minus .0025.

I think they are pretty good arrows for the money.

i also shoot the beaman ics hunters with a 2 inch blazer vanes, tough arrow and available several diffrent shaft sizes to get the weight your looking for , i have a few arrows that have killed several deer each and still in fine working order, ordered my last dozen from mountain archery for 65.00 on sale with free shipping, over all best bang for your buck

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot and killed with ICS's , Easton epics, and Black Max Elites. Liked all of them but I love the Maxima's.. They seam to be very forgiving and track like a lazer. Probable improved my groups by 50%. Clanking those high priced arrows at 40yrds is great for your confidence but can get expensive. G-5's on the tip is a super strong combo for me.

G- man, your just killing me with you double standards. Us scent control users just got a lecture about the history of Indian hunting, and some sermon about Madison Ave, and this long winded observation about how gimmicks are just a lazy mans way of improving his hunting skill, (like were a bunch of boobs) and then i read your posts about using lighted nocks??? Are you saying you can't even track a wounded animal without the battery operated LED on the end of your shaft? What would Pocohontas think of her mighty hunter if she was married to you. Maybe soon they will come out with a gps devise that will be implanted on the deer when the broadhead stricks it and then you can just download the free AP on your i-phone to tell you where to look. Would that be a gimmick that you would buy? Did you have some sort of purist ,change of heart in between these two posts or is it just the gimmicks that other hunters try that you think are stupid.