Warm quiet Camo

nodeerhere

Artic shield. You won't find warmer for less,trust me I did the research. You don't want to do long walks in it but it's fantastic stuff and well made. You can score the suit on eBay cheap.

Super cold days late season I will wear an under armour base, merino second. I stay toasty warm and was always the guy with 13 layers and still cold.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My arctic shield is warm and keeps me dry but it’s like Velcro on the tree, so loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Blended wool is terrible, 100% virgin wool is the only way to go. Warm, silent, doesn’t hold scent and warm when wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warm when wet, that's huge. Technology has not come up with anything yet to surpass good old wool. (okay, pile on )

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 2

My forays into camo have been sometimes disappointing (due mostly to my ignorance).  Due to having done some bushwhacking while hunting, I decided the stuff also needs to be "snag resistant" and "thorn rejecting" (my word).  Anything "soft and cumfy" didn't work for me (e.g., anything like fleece, which that Cabela's thing looks kinda like).  Then the problem with most of the heavy duty stuff that meets those criteria has been, it's noisy.  

The quiet stuff tends to not be "snag resistant", and the snag resistant stuff tends not to be quiet.  

Watching this thread with interest, thought I'd throw in my admittedly limited experience/thoughts....

I’m amazed by all the love for the cabelas “wooltimate” I bought a set when it was on sale a few years ago. Wore the crotch out in less than a year, it has a very loose weave that makes wool wear fast. The one I had had a liner in it that was loud and made me sweat way too fast, that’s another attribute of wool is that it’s very breathable.

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m amazed by all the love for the cabelas “wooltimate” I bought a set when it was on sale a few years ago. Wore the crotch out in less than a year, it has a very loose weave that makes wool wear fast. The one I had had a liner in it that was loud and made me sweat way too fast, that’s another attribute of wool is that it’s very breathable.

Not in issue because my guess is most like me have specific close they use for hunting only .the stuff I use for hunting does not usually get used any other time of the year .

I have had much better luck with hand-me-down or Army surplus wool than I have with any new wonder material.  If the criteria are warm and quiet, then wool fits the bill.  It is tough/durable too.

The other "must have" for me when sitting is a goose down vest or coat.  It's packable, light and works great as an insulating layer.

12 hours ago, moog5050 said:

How quiet and soft is the arctic shield?   True to size - ie medium good for me? 

I have the bibs and coat. Walking they are quite but if you sit against a tree the coat seems to grab at the bark and makes a little noise. I think it is more annoying to the hunter than anything. If a deer heard it I would be amazed. 

as for size I like a large coat and order a xl to put lots of layers underneath. It is BIG on me  i could stick enough clothes under it to be Ralphy's little brother from the Christmas story. The stuff is super warm I canot walk in it as it is too warm but make for a great all day sit layer! I have had my stuff for 5 or so years and the stuff looks like new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Me to, I wore the pants out In 1 season of deer hunting and I only wore them hunting up north.

O that I dont know  about thought you where talking about the jackets  .

I never felt the need to use wool pants my legs never get that cold . Only wool socks and jacket I use  or the wool blend .

10 hours ago, Storm914 said:

No pile on but if I think it is going to rain I either dont go hunting or bring a rain poncho in my pack  :)

Same here. I keep rain gear in my ATV box, but sometimes, when you're not expecting it, you get caught. I'm a  still hunter exclusively and have yet to find rain gear that is absolutely quiet. So, unless it's a heavy, noisy downpour, I don't use it. That's when it's nice to have wool.

• Like 1

O that I dont know  about thought you where talking about the jackets  .
I never felt the need to use wool pants my legs never get that cold . Only wool socks and jacket I use  or the wool blend .

Don’t know what kind of jackets you wear but I’ve never worn the crotch out of a jacket?

• Haha 1

How quiet and soft is the arctic shield?   True to size - ie medium good for me? 
My old and newer suit is quiet. I can't say I do a ton of wiggling in the tree so for walking through brush and overall I wouldn't say it's loud. As far as fitment....Moog, I'd let you try my mediums on, but I'm not certain we can get them off, and I kinda need them, sooooo

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have the kryptec Vellus pants and jacket they are typically my last or second to last layer...wind proof very water resistant pretty warm silent fleece.

I got a kuiu chinook jacket and old BP tundra Hyde bibs for over the rest if it's gonna be in the low 20s.

I also have Pnuma insulated vest.  I mix and match theses outer layers based on conditions.

I walk in with a light pant (firstlite wool) and base layer til mid 20s then I walk in with a mid weight pant (skree hardscrabble) and 2 base layer (woolblend and polartech fleece).  I put my outer layer(s) on at the stand.

Edited by OtiscoPaul