Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

We went right at first light as we were expecting with a strong west wind all day yesterday the fish to be stacked up. First hour and a half we realized that wasn't the case. Super slow. Sun came out and the bite picked up. Decent bunch for sure. 9a35785eb60af934107bc888b4a7fa79.jpgbe1c1056a689fdbc093f697bbe5a2a17.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Too rough out on the lake so the day off was spent working on the land. Put the waders on and opened up one of the drains more. Then went and moved a stand to a new spot with Corey. We got it set for season now, can see both ways on the trail here. There is a spot they make scrapes just a few yards away. All stands are in there spots for the year will just have to trim them all and change straps. This new one we had to do a lot of cutting for shooting Lanes but hopefully its worth it this fall. bb3e880de57d049421aa8c5516b775be.jpg6fefc03eb1b0e609e9c14c7b2e961976.jpg7d3b0a77e8c4e81f698b545f2bbbcdbf.jpgbbb8f7f4729edc5099ef586a1aee0352.jpgfa3133995e9d9d720a44170b91ea189c.jpg

• Like 3

Kudos man you are making me feel lazy lol. I did pull three stands outa the hole last weekend though. We finally lost it. 
That sucks. I know you said you were lucky to get another season in last year. Hopefully you hooked into some new dirt to take it's place. I know how it feels, I lost my best spot last season but I really enjoyed honing in on our one spot last year.

• Like 1

Boat limit at 8:04. And before we could get all the lines in had 2 more to catch and release. Great bite out there. Nothing specific either. 21-27 fow and on planers, lines deep etc. Got three just setting lines. One perch but biggest of the year at 12". Fun morn. 44c0204fa51982cb6a07c7672fe771bd.jpg397e4ba47166397d4915e78cb78fd5af.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/11/2022 at 9:55 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

Boat limit at 8:04. And before we could get all the lines in had 2 more to catch and release. Great bite out there. Nothing specific either. 21-27 fow and on planers, lines deep etc. Got three just setting lines. One perch but biggest of the year at 12". Fun morn. 44c0204fa51982cb6a07c7672fe771bd.jpg397e4ba47166397d4915e78cb78fd5af.jpg

Great catch ....I thought my dad was only one who ever put soda bottles in live well.

Nothing like a fresh walleye. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BizCT said:

How much walleye do you eat per week and do you freeze a bunch to hold you over through the winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fish fry once a month thru the entire year.  Corey and I split the take. Some also goes to family,friends.  Figure if we fish 24 times in a year, which is a lot, and we split the take thats 12 bags of fish each = one fish fry a month.  Usually we wont fish 24 times anyway its a short season. Basically mid May, June, July.  

• Like 1

Got out today in perfect weather for woods work. Did some treestand work. Rewrapped some shooting rails, cut some areas to setup better shooting lanes, put out 7 trail cams, put a new brace on one of the stands, cut a trail and blocked the trail to help divert deer. And the drain I worked on last weekend I def got open. The pond was way down and the drain can now be set. Clover in the trails looks great. Good day out there.

We should be done now til end of July to cut all the trails and then the first weekend of August do plots. Then first weekend in Sept all of our final stand work. d961db7163a16353293bbd9c3a216ff2.jpgc5433c9c8d1577721b6d397734064eec.jpg1f311b9f91a00ca3f06c3f29a166f82a.jpg53a0aac951917c3e0e8823fd979c253f.jpg7b327cd0331a0296b1c3184b8bb788d6.jpg

686ac1db90ae4dbf0ebe9b873f1a4d76.jpg

• Like 1

all in orange is done for the season.   Doing well even though we were delayed with some illness issues during prime spring work time. 

2022 Hunting prep plans

Food Plots

-          CSS – do whole corner on the trail that goes by the stand – “Secret Spot” mix (2)

-          Littlefield – Mix of “Bowstand” and “Shot Plot”

-          Wayback – do same area (hopefully less rain) Mix of “Bowstand” and “Shot Plot” and Radish at far end

-          Get off my lawn area - winter peas and radish on each end. 

-          Frost seed clover from point to apple trail, from point to wayback, trail to Littlefield in dry spots, Pine tree and Swamp stand areas

-          Fertilizer in food plots when seeding

-          Check out Coreys apple trees by wayback, if Taking well maybe plant another one by cut out by Pine - not doing this year, but 2/3 of apples trees doign well! 

Trimming/Cutting

-          Brush cutter keep trails cut!!!

-          Widen up Wayback area in trail cutter in front of Coreys apple trees

-          Cut wider from Wayback to Xmas on rt – did some of it

-          Widen trail on beach side where we left off – gonna have to wait Rob/Covid, Corey surgery

-          Cut back corner at Pine tree - gonna have to wait Rob/Covid, Corey surgery

-          Cut in front of Wayback to apple tree so it can be mowed and on both sides for shooting lanes

-          Cut larger tree from Scrapetree back towards apple trail

-          Cut all stumps to the ground near new cut at Scrapetree

-          Cut two small lanes to right of Point to back deer trail

-          Cut a foot path around mudhole to CSS – not needed with water down

-          Cut an area in front of CSS for a turnaround when tilling

-          Cut a path at Roadkill so the deer aren’t using trail to blind.

-          Cut everything to ground by cleared area at CSS  

Stands/Blinds

-          9ft stand at “get off my lawn”

-          Replace straps

-          Re-cover shooting rails

-          Move swamp stand to see up both trails better, across trail

-          Put groundblind in early spring for Turkey and to get deer used to? Or bag it cause using a stand?- bagged it !

-          Pull stand in Madison- decided to keep it there.  they planted corn and I have spares anyway

-          Fix stands that have grown into trees

-          Coreys tree stand skirt – using it for a duck blind!

Trailcams

-          Up in late July – 7 up in late June!  4 to go in July

-          Corey has 2 cell cams to use!

Waterfowl hunting

-          Look for old blind and boat - no boat and using our or blind

-          Where to setup for (i have 12/2 off to setup the day before season reopens. 

-          Not til Dec 3rd and only if Corey and I both have one deer each

-          Setup retrieval system- old boat, rod and reel…

-          Corey get a duck gun!

Questions  

-          Ask about access on Stota side ? - dont need now that water is down 

-          Corey Northern tier spot? – no go

-          Get tiller if still avail in spring? Not getting tiller at this time and not avail

-          David ok with lawn area cut down? Yes  Keep farmer from late cut here?

-          Duck hunting late gun season??   goose and duck.  Scout out spots to setup for ducks (goose season changed late dates so duck only.

-          Get in a day up North still hunting

-          Get drains open! – do this every year!

Current seed stock

-          2 bags “secret spot” (CSS)

-          2 bags “shot plot”  (1 Littlefield, 1 Wayback)

-          2 bags “bowstand” (1 Littlefield, 1 Wayback)

-          2 bags radish  (Lawn and wayback)

-          1 10lb bag perennial clover (trails – beach side first – Scrapetree and Point areas, Wayback, if enough- trail from CSS to Littlefield and Pine/swamp area)

-          1 2.5 lb bag clover (trails)

-          3 bags mixed perennial clover (trails)

-          1 large bag winter peas (Lawn)

-          5 bags of fertilizer – 2 bags “Lawn”, 1 Bag ea for Littlefield, Wayback, CSS plots

-          Do we keep food plotting or just frost seed clover all around?  Did food plots come out better in 2022? If they did do we make a bigger plot at Wayback?

-          Is clover taking and can use less?

-          Clover the field by roadkill?

-          Clover the field at lawn or big plot ?

-          Open up drains again

-          Do we want to upgrade equipment for tilling for food plots?

-          Widen trails from Pine to opener

-          Widen/cut trails – from swamp towards opener, area to see from pine to swamp, from wayback to xmas to see up trail (partially done), In front of CSS for a turnaround and open up, point in front of the stand to the ground,

-          Duck hunting again?

-          Apple trees at end of Xmas trail

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SportsmanNH said:

Rob , I'm exhausted just reading your list , never mind actually doing it all ! LOL

lol.  We didnt do bad considering my hunting buddy had hip surgery and i got covid all in April.  We keep a list all season for things to do for the next year.  "add it to the list" .  And if I dont write it down it doesnt exist.  lol

Next up is end of July trail cut, then first week in August food plots.  So for the next month or so we are done and fishing while cameras soak and we see whats out there. I enjoy doing all this esp since theres been so many cooler days. 

• Like 1

New electric fillet knife to try out. Loved the smaller size of the rapala knife I had but they just don't last. Had to send one back last year cause it wouldn't shutoff. They sent me a replacement and that one just quit last week. And it's not from over use, I have another one that's lasted years but can't get replacement blades for it it's so old. 904947b8775662a332410f59f3bbb02a.jpg

• Like 2

New electric fillet knife to try out. Loved the smaller size of the rapala knife I had but they just don't last. Had to send one back last year cause it wouldn't shutoff. They sent me a replacement and that one just quit last week. And it's not from over use, I have another one that's lasted years but can't get replacement blades for it it's so old. 904947b8775662a332410f59f3bbb02a.jpg

I have a blue mister twister. Maybe it’s the salt water version? Anyway, it’s always been fantastic ok lake trout, brown trout etc. I’ve had it like 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Got out on the 4th for a bit! Not a lot boated, we dropped 4-5 but got the biggest eye of the year. Got him on the Merica spinner and had a couple others on it and dropped em. Hooked the big one while I had the hand on my line putting on a planer. One little spot they were hitting for a few minutes but couldn't stay on em. Corey also tied for perch of the year at 12" too.

One of us while walking thru hit the key and bent it badly. Got it to work til we got back in. Went to take out the key and it just snapped. Ugh. Was able to fish it out and glad it didn't break til we were done for the day. 7708d8f153d4d674be2aaba728aef511.jpga508ab1024a9cad0674964552fab41c3.jpg

• Like 3

Got out to check on a stand I have out in bouckville Madison area. It's a wild card and a place I go on occasion. Shot a doe there the very first time I sat in it. Then for three years didn't hunt it cause they kept putting the cows out in the field in the fall. Well this year it's corn for the first time. So went and made sure it's ready and will prob try it a time or two . It's a 1/2 hr drive and can only hunt afternoon there and stand is only good for an east or south wind. But it might be good for an early doe. It's only 12 acres that I have access to and most of it is fenced cow field so I have a tiny little corner to hunt. 9c9f4000967b46eefbf55a49e8d618ed.jpga37e1a2bcde741cbf4466ad73c98c779.jpga6ff233b78455a1394300031b9d009ad.jpg