Robs huntandfish journal

Robhuntandfish

On 11/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

Use this every year. I put them up mid to late Oct.  Seems to get reactions every year. 

IMG_20211106_120212536.jpg

I use that too,9.99 at tractor supply .just put a bottle in dripper this weekend 

• Like 1

Hunt #29 dark -10:30.  Scrape tree. 

No deer seen.  Had 2 nice Tom's walk right by me. And saw a fisher.  

Pulled cams and lots of activity out there.  The buck Corey missed is a 4 pt and he def missed it was back 2 times since.  One of them and hour and a half after he hunted there a couple days ago.  Lol I think it's messing with him. No pics of check buck but def the smaller 8 and the 7 I had at 25 yards early in season and couldn't get a shot.  

IMG_20211111_064333962.jpg

IMG_20211111_094616835.jpg

IMG_20211111_110331060.jpg

IMG_20211111_110823682.jpg

IMG_20211111_111126940.jpg

IMG_20211111_110936993.jpg

IMG_20211111_111231846.jpg

IMG_20211111_111530726.jpg

IMG_20211111_111701718.jpg

IMG_20211111_112223399.jpg

IMG_20211111_112421562.jpg

IMG_20211111_112100385.jpg

• Like 4

Hunt #30. 1:30-dark. Scrapetree. 

Saw 2 deer, a fisher and a pheasant.  Sitting there and hear crashing in the brush even with a hood on. What is going on.... The 4 pt that Corey missed comes running out of the brush about 75 yards down the trail. It runs right towards me for about 20 yards then goes into the brush.  No tail up but on the run like it was told to get! Hoping another buck was chasing it. 

About hour and a half later a large body deer goes across the trail about 200+ yards up. Couldn't see the head but it was a huge deer. 

Planning to get back out tomorrow right after the rain stops for a long afternoon sit to dark.  

• Like 1

Hunt #31 point stand 1-dark. 

Most exciting hunt of the year. Had the 7 point behind me and come out to my left down the trail then circle around thru the brush at 55-60 yards but no shot.  Then 20 minutes later the 4 point Corey missed is in the swamp area about 90 yards and lingers there for about 10; minutes then goes into the brush.

Then about an hour later a deer crosses down the trail can see it in the brush but never see the deer completely. 

Then just before dark I can hear a deer across from me in the brush. Then I hear a couple of grunts.  Ok its a buck. But it is almost dark so I have to try something so through a couple of grunts back out there. That deer goes back and forth in front of trying to figure out where I am. Took my safety off like 5 times today.  He finally goes back the same trail he came on earlier and out into the trail at like 80 yards. He is headed up the trail the other way. Send out another grunt and he comes back like 20 yards then runs back the other way trotting out of sight.  Great night . No shot but exciting

IMG_20211112_133802392.jpg

IMG_20211112_144646706.jpg

• Like 9

Hunt #34.  12:30-dark. Point stand

Got in stand and 5 minutes later 3 does came thru the brush about 45 yards away.  Went out towards scrapetree.    Saw nothing else.  Last day of bow season for me.  Decent season. Got a doe in the freezer got close to bucks several times just didn't seal the deal. 

Had to cancel two extra days off for m and t due to issues at work. Next hunt the gun opener sat. Supposed to have that whole week off but dunno. 

IMG_20211114_124147500.jpg

14 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I have 36 hunts in so far man we been grindin!! This work thing is for the birds!! Hope you catch up to a nice buck on the opener of gun!!

thanks!  Its miserable cold rain and windy here and yet ....... i still wish i could hunt today. But i am ready for gun season. Have had some bucks nearby but not in bow range or a clear shot.  Hopefully the gun will mean the difference.  Although I always hope its with the bow.  Youve done well this season.  Nice buck, huge body and still hunting.  Maybe youll fill both buck tags this year.  I havent done that in a long time. 

from the trail cams - havent seen the checkbuck since 11/1.  But have 2 other 8's , a 7 that is regular, a 5, a 4 that is all over, and a couple of 3's. Gun season i tend to let it fly. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Some nice ones rob. That one 4 point sure is an odd looking buck.

Corey shot under him once.  Ive had him around me a couple of times, prob wouldve passed him earlier.  But now i will prob send it if he steps out.  If i get my Vac for next week then maybe.... pass.....maybe....  Figure i can squeeeze out another doe along the way to finish off the freeezer and would like to try for a good buck.  Gametime decision. 

• Like 1

no one will have been out hunting our property all this week. So hopefully Sat the deer are feeling safe there. Its always interesting to see one or two bucks all summer then once season starts we get buck pics.  Guess its much better than the other way around   

7 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Your inventory of bucks has increased! Love that silhouette pic!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Otto said:

I’ve been hitting it all week here, if I burn up Saturday because of that, oh well. I am really hoping to get one with the bow.  I am even thinking of bringing it out Saturday too. 

I would sure be doing the same if I could. All I'm burning up is the work hours unfortunately.  Just hoping it helps my sat morn though.  

I hate not being out there right now. Spend all year waiting and working for those days. Hell I had my vacation for Nov in last Jan.  Just didn't work out. 

Hoping you score one this week and the weekend too! Good luck. 

• Like 2

Hunt #35. Gun opener.

It sucked. One of the worst gun openers ever.  Me and Corey never saw a deer all day. Never even heard a twig snap.  I was in the woods all day except for about an hour or so.  Started in the am in the opener stand and it hasn't been hunted all year.  Corey was in scrapetree and I thought all morning would hear a shot over there.  But nothing. 

Lots of shots on the south border of our area this morn. More than I've heard there in years. Nothing on the other sides.  

Later went to the point stand and was setup to be there for about 5 hours and hopefully see that 7 pt.  

About 1:30 two shots just over the border of land about 700 yards away.then two more. Then more and more and more .  Who the #&#&@ is out target shooting on opening day.... They shot on and off for an hour and a half. 

I moved to scrapetree as it's another 300 yards away.  Corey was in pine. We saw nothing. Sucked. Too bad cause it was a nice day to hunt. And started off with a good breakfast 

IMG_20211120_121210348.jpg

IMG_20211120_065641586.jpg

IMG_20211120_045915763.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2