Starting out with bowhunting. looking for some advice/help.

Hunting18

Hey i was wondering if there is a major difference between an intermediate bow vs the higher price ones. I currently have a PSE which has some years behind it and probably cost around 250 - 300$..If there are any bows anyone could recommend from experience please feel free.

Thanks!

I would plan a trip to a real archery shop avoiding large sporting good type stores. ( I am not from the area so I cant point you to any), and shoot everything in your price range.. you will notice a difference hands down. find the one that feels right to you..  I shoot a  bowtech justice and love it, I think their quality is amazing.. others may not. theres alot of latest and greatest.. but it all boils down to what feels right in your hands, after all, your bow is a tool and you should be able to wield it comfortably.

best wishes..

If the bow eels good in your hand and has a easy draw cycle and is user friendly that the bow you want. It is not having the fastest setup but one that works for you. I had a bow shop for years and a good middle of the bow range that had a cast riser, good limbs and good setup of the arrows match the bow will shoot as well in most cases as the top of the line bow. Or if you must have the new hot bow look for sales in archerytalk.com. you can get a new bow or lightly used one for about 1/3 off...

Just went through this...you need to go pick them up and shoot....I have an older hoyt I love ....new Hoyt design just didn't feel right....PSE Stinger felt and shot good...and then not anything else until the Mission Venture bow...and that's the one I bought....I see it also just got named bow buy of the year and has same warranty as the parent company Mathews....Know matter what it has to feel right...Good Luck

If the bow eels good in your hand and has a easy draw cycle and is user friendly that the bow you want. It is not having the fastest setup but one that works for you. I had a bow shop for years and a good middle of the bow range that had a cast riser, good limbs and good setup of the arrows match the bow will shoot as well in most cases as the top of the line bow. Or if you must have the new hot bow look for sales in archerytalk.com. you can get a new bow or lightly used one for about 1/3 off...

Yea what he said...the only dofference between a high dollar bow and a cheaper one is price and marketing if you ask me. Watch for brace hight as the higher the number there will allow more forgiveness which is important to a new shooter. My Parker has 7 3/4 inch brace while some of the speed freak bows are much less. Good luck...

I also have a High Country that must be 20 yrs old.  It is long and incredibly heavy, but it is also incredibly ACCURATE.  it has a much shorter brace height than my parker, but makes up with weight and length, both help accuracy, even though NO new bows want to market these 'qualities.'  If the bow fits you and is set up properly (WITH THE RIGHT ARROWS), and you have good form, any bow will drill bulls.

I can't believe some of the prices on bows.  The ones I've seen in stores over the last few years were in the $600 and over range.  And that of course is with nothing on them.  I don't think I even saw anything for $300.  They can build a rifle that will shoot 1 inch groups for $500 and less, yet bow manufacturers want way more for a bow?  Makes absolutely NO sense to me.  I guess if suckers are willing to pay those prices, they will keep bringing the prices up.

Right now Matthews has excellent marketing, and good bows too, so people tend to think they will gain an advantge by buying one. Same goes for Hoyt or whom ever, you pay for marketing. Martin makes some good bows for the price too and are worth a look. It don't matter how much you pay for it, its how you shoot it that counts.

It don't matter how much you pay for it, its how you shoot it that counts.

That is why I will stick to this vintage 1990 beauty!!! LOL  It shoots pretty darned good even in my hands, someone who is far from an expert bow shot.

P.S.  I won't get into the part where I am too cheap to actually buy a new one.  LOL

post-724-131455465874_thumb.jpg

Those look like some dandy bows for the price!  I haven't seen anything in that range in the stores I looked at.  Doe, when I'm ready to open my wallet and pull out the presidents (who of course will be wearing sunglasses since they never get to see the outside light), you will be the first guy I go to for good suggestions on what to get.

My advice would be to shoot as many bows as you can and pick the one that feels the best. Go to a bow shop (not a big box store like Gander or Dicks, etc) and have them measure your draw length so you can choose a bow with the right length for you, as they are not all cheap to adjust or even capable of adjusting. Some require modules to change the draw length, and they can get pricey. Also, try not to get caught up in the speed and high poundage game. A bow with a draw weight of 50 or 60 pounds shooting at under 300fps is just as capable of killing deer as a 70 pound bow shooting at 325fps. The lighter draw weight will allow you to draw more smoothly and have less of a chance of the deer catching your movement. Last but not least, once you have your bow, practice practice practice. When you get done, rest a bit and practice some more. Shoot from the ground, around cover if you can, from treestands, blinds, etc etc.

I got mine off AT.  I like it, not sure if I think it is TOO short though.  Great for a blind or tree stand though.  I had a little trouble with noise when I came to full draw and the cable would contact the cam as it opened up.  I couldn't find anyone else with the same issue or any fix online.  I ended up cutting a short section of rubber band and laid it in the cam channel.  Now when I come to full draw the cable hits the rubber band and not the metal cam=no noise.

Localqdm, the shortness has taken me some getting used to also, I tend to tilt to the side but a sight level has corrected that issue. My old bow is alot longer axel to axel, but the good's far outweigh the bad's on the new one. I shoot really really well with the Parker, I would love a hoyt some day but I am to cheap for one now.

Steve, i used to have that exact same bow.  I gave it away a few years ago.  I killed a few deer with it.  Boy, was it noisy.

I thought I had the only one still in existence.  LOL  I use the noise to my advantage.  I take a box full of old arrows into the woods with me and I fling them around.  All the grunts, bleats, and sounds like clashing antlers that the bow makes actually helps me bring the deer in.  Once they are in range I get the good arrows ready for the kill!! LOL

BTW, if you want to save some bucks, shoot the bows at the shops, figure out what you want and then go to www.archerytalk.com and go to the classified section. There are alot of people that will sell you current year or last years bows for 1/2 the price of new. I shot a bunch and came to the decision I want a Hoyt Maxxis 31. Its an 800 dollar bow brand new, but I can get one somewhere between $400 to $500 on there used. Some shops sell their leftovers on there too, brand new in the box for a big discount over retail.

Last summer a buddy of mine got a Bear Charge.  I was really impressed with the quality of this bow for the price and it come completely set-up from Dick's & BPS.  It's a real shooter for the price and all it really needs is some Simms or some other noise dampening.