More New York State Proposed Gun Control Nonsense - A01413

https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_fld=&leg_video=&bn=A01413&term=2019&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Memo=Y

This proposed bill would prohibit firearms as prizes in any game of chance (raffle). Many clubs and organizations would be financially impacted by this as they use raffles in raise income for their clubs.

·       So instead of winning an actual firearm, why not make the prize a gift card from the FFL firearm dealer the organization uses for their raffles to be used to “purchase” a firearm?

·       Will the gun control politicians have a problem with “gift cards”?

·       How is this law going to control gun violence?

This law seems to be based on the ignorance of the legislators.  They seem to think if you win a firearm in a raffle, it is just handed to you at the event, circumventing all NICS transfer laws.

Either that, or they want to financially cripple any organization that would have the gall to promote responsible firearm ownership as a fund raiser.

12 hours ago, ADK Native said:

https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_fld=&leg_video=&bn=A01413&term=2019&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Memo=Y

This proposed bill would prohibit firearms as prizes in any game of chance (raffle). Many clubs and organizations would be financially impacted by this as they use raffles in raise income for their clubs.

·       So instead of winning an actual firearm, why not make the prize a gift card from the FFL firearm dealer the organization uses for their raffles to be used to “purchase” a firearm?

·       Will the gun control politicians have a problem with “gift cards”?

·       How is this law going to control gun violence?

If you are just selling raffle tickets I suppose that could work since many I have seen gives a cash prize alternative for each gun. The places that would have an issue is events like the QDMA banquet we put on and many others where the gun is actually there and has been purchased. A game of chance just does not have the same draw when the prize is a picture of the prize. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Apparently this law has not been approved...!?! Talked to someone that attended a recent NWTF dinner and handguns were raffled off, to my amazement.

It's only in committee. But it is the time to be vocal about it. If it gets on Andy's desk it will be too late. I've seen handguns used in games of chance. just have to have a valid permit  and jump through the other hoops to take possession.  I know one guy that won and he didn't have a permit. He had the FFL hold it until his permit was approved. 

Another gun-control law in New York: Safe storage in the home may be required

This was discussed on local radio recently. They said that if cops come into the home on unrelated matters, they can cite you for this violation on top of any other charges, if they see a gun not locked away. Does this mean you can't have you guns out, ready for cleaning or a day at the range? 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/politics/albany/2019/03/04/another-gun-control-law-new-york-safe-storage-home-coming/3060091002/

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, The_Field_Ager said:

.... They said that if cops come into the home on unrelated matters, they can cite you for this violation on top of any other charges, if they see a gun not locked away.......

If LEOs want to enter your residence, either with or w/o a warrant, there are bigger issues than them noticing unlocked guns. Don't ya think...?

Used to be, but not any more.  If your neighbor "red flags" you in retaliation for reporting something he did, or for calling him out on something he's doing, they come in for no reason.  But when they ask about guns and you show them unsecured ones, guess what they do.

18 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

If LEOs want to enter your residence, either with or w/o a warrant, there are bigger issues than them noticing unlocked guns. Don't ya think...?

Like when a bike was stolen out  our garage, and he took the report in our house ?

Or maybe the time they came over to talk because the rental next door was full of criminals,  they got a few calls a month, and they wanted to know what I was seeing ?

or years ago when one of our kids dialed 911 by accident and unknown to my  wife ? 

that reminds me , the time I got a ticket for water skiing without a spotter, paid the fine by mail, but court clerk did not record  it and two Deputies stopped by with a warrent , I showed them my check book , inside at the dinning room table .

Or way back when they were doing my background check, and stopped by to verify that I was indeed, living in the city , sometimes they make you show them your underwear drawer ( some guys would use their Grandmothers address) 

• Like 3

On 2/21/2019 at 8:48 AM, Rattler said:

This law seems to be based on the ignorance of the legislators.  They seem to think if you win a firearm in a raffle, it is just handed to you at the event, circumventing all NICS transfer laws.

Either that, or they want to financially cripple any organization that would have the gall to promote responsible firearm ownership as a fund raiser.

Youre exactly right. These people are actual morons. No accountability for proposing this under false pretenses

Many times games such as these are open to all individ-
uals regardless of age. Firearms should not be raffled off in this
manner."

21 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Sure, but that they can pile on charges is salt in the wound...don't ya think?  And then of course there is the concern of disgruntled neighbors or family members calling you in for your your lack of state sanctioned and enforced storage habits.

Edited by The_Field_Ager
  • Like 2